1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MCSC on order

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:28 AM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So long as you have the name of the ship, you'll likely be able to get it's call sign off the Coast Guard. With that you can track it.

It's true that WW has fairly open information as compared to other shipping lines. Fortunately they are used for the significant majority of MINI shipments (K-Line is another used sometimes. See the referenced thread earlier (Rats!! I Missed the Boat!)for info around K-Line.

Happy tracking!

Old 08-01-2005, 05:29 AM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
Cool. Still no info from the dealer or ask-mini on a production week or date. I'm starting to think that the convertibles do not get to production as soon as a coupe. I conformed that MINI has had my order since July 18th and it was a modification of a car that was already in the pipeline. MINI and the dealer still say I should get a status change sometime this week but nothing definite. As of right now I'm still on order, scheduled for production, no production date.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:36 PM
BBoy
3rd Gear
I'm a week 31 and I didn't get my "scheduled for production" update until last Thursday. Since you're week 32, I'll bet you'll get yours within the next 3 days...

Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
I tell ya - it gets frustrating. . .

I was originally told I was a week 32, then I called yesterday and was told I was week 31. Whee, I thought! But no - called today to see if I had a VIN or actual build date, and was told that my dealer requested week 31, the system assigned me week 33, and someone pushed us to week 32 to 'speed things up' - hell, we ordered on July 1st, and still no firm date. . .so I definitely think the droptops have a lower priority in the build queue. . .that and adding just about every freakin' option you can. . .

Oh, well. . .it's only time. Summertime. Flitting away. Fall delivery. Sigh. . .

Old 08-02-2005, 10:28 AM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UUNetBill
I tell ya - it gets frustrating. . .

I was originally told I was a week 32, then I called yesterday and was told I was week 31. Whee, I thought! But no - called today to see if I had a VIN or actual build date, and was told that my dealer requested week 31, the system assigned me week 33, and someone pushed us to week 32 to 'speed things up' - hell, we ordered on July 1st, and still no firm date. . .so I definitely think the droptops have a lower priority in the build queue. . .that and adding just about every freakin' option you can. . .

Oh, well. . .it's only time. Summertime. Flitting away. Fall delivery. Sigh. . .
"I think I'm gonna have to disagree with your police work there [Bill]" (...with apologies to Margie)

I ordered a fully-loaded DT on July 1st and it went in to production on July 11th and was born on the 20th. This is a BRG/G DT with all packages, Nav, LSD, blah, blah, blah... $38,500 at delivery once the lights and Aero and R90s etc. are added.... It's been sitting on the dock since the 21st, so although it is built, it isn't on it's way to me yet (maybe it loaded on a boat yesterday, but that's another thread...)

It's all about the allocation your dealer has available and what's been used/comitted, I think.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 AM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
Bill:

What did the automated system tell you? Have you been only given production start dates or completed by dates? At first, I was told I was a week 32er, when I called last week, they said I would be a week 31er (this week). Today, I was given a completed-by date of Wed. 8/10 (on the automated system).

Old 08-02-2005, 10:45 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Steve - is that supposed to make me feel better, we ordered on the same day - you're built and I'm still a gleam in my own eye (or something like that??? LOL!!

Originally Posted by MINI Steve
"I think I'm gonna have to disagree with your police work there [Bill]" (...with apologies to Margie)

I ordered a fully-loaded DT on July 1st and it went in to production on July 11th and was born on the 20th. This is a BRG/G DT with all packages, Nav, LSD, blah, blah, blah... $38,500 at delivery once the lights and Aero and R90s etc. are added.... It's been sitting on the dock since the 21st, so although it is built, it isn't on it's way to me yet (maybe it loaded on a boat yesterday, but that's another thread...)

It's all about the allocation your dealer has available and what's been used/comitted, I think.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:58 AM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
Steve - is that supposed to make me feel better, we ordered on the same day - you're built and I'm still a gleam in my own eye (or something like that??? LOL!!
"gleam in my own eye"

Nahh... sorry yours hasn't been built, just a comment that I don't think it's a factory thing (i.e. DT having a lower build priority) I think it's a dealer thing (yours didn't have any more allocations in July)

Gotta happen soon... 0 more shopping days and 29 more building days for '05 MINIs

Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
It's all good - MCSCa is coming, whether it's in 4 weeks or 5, well, it doesn't matter all that much, I guess. And I agree that the dealer allocations play into it a lot more. . .I don't know all the details yet, but I'm learnin'!And speaking of the end of the '05s, any word on when the 06 models will appear on the MINI Build-Your-Own website?? They're still showing the '05s as of noon today.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 AM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
It's all good - MCSCa is coming, whether it's in 4 weeks or 5, well, it doesn't matter all that much, I guess. And I agree that the dealer allocations play into it a lot more. . .I don't know all the details yet, but I'm learnin'!And speaking of the end of the '05s, any word on when the 06 models will appear on the MINI Build-Your-Own website?? They're still showing the '05s as of noon today.
Dealership said they expect to be able to place factory orders for '06 models before the end of August... but not much before. Likely the site will change over by mid-month (August)

Old 08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Another One Conceived

Hey all. Put my order in on July 23. Now whut? Wait?

MCSc, Hot Orange, blue top, blue leather, Premium, Sports & Cold packs, LSD, exterior chrome, rear fog, rain sensor wipers, Hot Orange interior color.

Now to come up with a name.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:22 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
How about Clementine? That's a mini orange, ain't it?

Originally Posted by Gr8Force
Hey all. Put my order in on July 23. Now whut? Wait?

MCSc, Hot Orange, blue top, blue leather, Premium, Sports & Cold packs, LSD, exterior chrome, rear fog, rain sensor wipers, Hot Orange interior color.

Now to come up with a name.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Great. It's not enough having to deal with MINI haters, now I gotta deal with color-phobes.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
The update on my Orange MINI (not named):

Called the MA. He says that the only info he still has is that it will go into production this week. He also noted, listen up now, that "[font=Arial]It looks as if they have delayed some of the production. I will know more over the next week or two." Delayed some of the production? What's this all about. Anyone?[/font]

Old 08-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
UUNetBill - Boy have I got mud on my face. I actually got off my duff and looked up the definition of:

clem·en·tine Pronunciation Key (klmn-tn, -tn)
n. A deep red-orange, often seedless mandarin orange.

Sorry about that one but it just seemed a little more feminine than I was wanting to go. I know a lot of people think of the car as feminine. I was thinking something along the lines of Icarus. It also seems fitting for Hot Orange.

droptopmini - My dealer told me that the facility closes up shop for two weeks every year to refit the entire production line. That would explain why I don't have a scheduled production date yet.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:37 PM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
You would think that they would close up and refit after the 2005 production run to get prepared for the 2006 model year due to go into production soon.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:26 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Not a problem - that was more one of my smart-assed comments than an actual suggestion . . .I'm sure you'll come up with something when the time comes!!Icarus is pretty cool. . .

Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
droptopmini - I didn't notice it until this a.m. that our orders are almost identical.
- I decided not to get the convience package b/c I don't like automatic rearview mirrors. I got the rest of that package by the part though.
- I also got the exterior chrome package with the S-Lite wheels (again, those will be replaced asafp). Still looking for the new wheel. I took a look at the "wheels" thread. I didn't see anything I liked. I did see on the gallery several days ago a guy that had a beautiful set that has a blue chrome look. I can't find it now! I thought that would be perfect if I could find something like that. I wonder if it's a service that can be done. ???
- I skipped the bonnet stripes as I'll have custom paint done after the body kit gets put on. I'm leaning to the Orciari kit minus the front spoiler. I like the Hamann front better.
- I added the blue leather and will have a couple of the panels swapped out for orange leather & piping.

There will be many performance mods but making it look the way I want will be first.

UUNetBill - Cool. Then we both took things the same way. I look forward to many more s/a remarks in the future.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
Gr8Force, Yes our vehicles are fairly close. My wife did not want leather and I did so we agreed on the Sunrise Cloth/Leather seats. Not sure what they are going to look like yet. The brochure and web page gallery shows a different Orange/Dark Blue pattern than the "build" pictures showed. I have not seen this combination in person but I'm sure I will like it either way. I was going to get the MINI aero kit but then decided against it when the dealer was going to charge me $1100 for install and paint. Also I like the look of the after market kits much better as well. I have had the Auto rearview mirrors in both Jags and my Grand Cherokee Ltd so I'm used to them dimming when a vehicle shines its light from the rear. Not sure if the MINI has this but my Jeep also dims the drivers side outside mirror as well which is very nice. The Jags did not do this. In all cases you could turn off the function if you wish. What seems nice is that however we option/color the cars, there are hardly two identicle. I would like to have gone with basic wheels and bought aftermarkets but the wife has capped my expenses on this vehicle and an extra $500 for the web spokes was the best I could do.
As far the the blue wheels, you can buy any of the aluminum wheels and then have them powder coated if your like painted colors or have them anodized if you want the chrome blue look. There are many places to have this done. I know of a place in Nashville that is well known. Where are you located?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
Hmmm....wife capping expenses....sounds familiar! I walked into the dealer to order a MC with Premium Pkg and left with an order for a MCC! Needless to say, my initial budget was shot.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Ha! Was the other way around for me - we originally started with a fairly well equipped MCS, ended up with me walking around the showroom so I wouldn't have a stroke when the fully loaded MCSCa got checked off.

On the bright side, it's gonna be a Suh-Weet ride, and we got a completion date - 8/12!!! Woohoo!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 AM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
Sweet...So you have paddle shifters. I never did test drive the automatic. I wish the Standard had some electro-mechanically actuated clutch/gear paddle shifters.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:48 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by am0eba
By the way, if you think waiting for your car to be built is tough, you will not believe how much worse it is waiting for delivery of your completed MINI! (Especially West Coasters)

Anyway, hope all goes well, and you are enjoying the open-motoring experience soon!

_Dave_
Dave, you couldn't have said it better. I am going INSANE! EDD of Sunday (ha) 8/7/05.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Yep - our current MINI has the standard, but 90% of my wife's drive is a bumper-to-bumper commute. Her left leg is getting a lot bigger than her right, so we decided to do the auto this time. I test drove one, and the only thing I DIDN'T like about it is the BMW-esque backward-ness of the Steptronic - forward for downshifts, back for upshifts. Just seems bass-ackwards to me. . .

That said, my wife will probably always leave it in D, and I'll use the paddles, so I don't think we'll use the stick at all to shift, once it's in the right mode. . .

As far as sport manumatics go, I really like this one.

Originally Posted by droptopmini
Sweet...So you have paddle shifters. I never did test drive the automatic. I wish the Standard had some electro-mechanically actuated clutch/gear paddle shifters.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
droptopmini - I'm in Atlanta. I'm sure the AtlantaMinis club can direct me to someone local. I'll find out more as I continue to post there and the due date gets closer. I'd be surprised if no one local can do that but if not I'll ring you. I'm wanting the chrome blue look and you say those can be done to just about any wheel?

I made sure my wife understood that this car has no limits when I work on it before I ordered it otherwise I wasn't going to order it. She's 100% behind the project. She even likes my cigars. What a woman!

I've reworked the budget, have been saving bucks and have been cleaning the crap out of my credit so when the time comes to do mods I'm not hamstrung by something stupid like money. I'll only be limited by my imagination. I've got a feeling that when all is said and done the total cost, including the car, could run anywhere from 60k to 80k. Is that stupid? Sure but it's my kind of stupid. Do I really have that kind of money? Nope so I'm going to have to get creative and find a way to get it. Work more. Save more. Go in debt more. etc. Just as long as it's legal, ethical & moral. I've even sacrificed scuba diving jaunts for this. I wonder how long I'll have to go without a dive.

UUNetBill - Sorry to get newbie on you but what's the a for in MCSCa?

Quick Reply: New MCSC on order