1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Week 32 (8/8/05) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:39 AM
jac
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off the truck!

My MA just e-mailed to say that our CR/B MCSa just rolled off the back of the truck & is being rushed into the shop for her new ASA JH6 rims! we will be picking it up later today!

I'll try to get some pics up, but we are heading directly to the beach for the weekend, might have to wait until monday/tuesday...

-jac

Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 AM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jac
My MA just e-mailed to say that our CR/B MCSa just rolled off the back of the truck & is being rushed into the shop for her new ASA JH6 rims! we will be picking it up later today!

I'll try to get some pics up, but we are heading directly to the beach for the weekend, might have to wait until monday/tuesday...

-jac
Congrats! Are the ASA rims aftermarket? Send pics when you pick it up. Well, or soon there after.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:31 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Just went to Tire Rack and checked out the JH6's - nice! Classic look, more of what the S-Lites should look like, IMHO. We had some JS5s on ours, liked 'em. Can't wait to see pics of the JH6s on yours - congrats!!

ASA JH6

Originally Posted by jac

-jac

Old 09-02-2005, 09:35 AM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by UUNetBill
Just went to Tire Rack and checked out the JH6's - nice! Classic look, more of what the S-Lites should look like, IMHO. We had some JS5s on ours, liked 'em. Can't wait to see pics of the JH6s on yours - congrats!!

ASA JH6
Yes, they look like the older style Porsche/VW Rims.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:42 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Actually, I think they look more like the old Minilite mags:

Minilite:

ASA JH6:

If I had to guess, I'd say that jac did that on purpose. . .

Originally Posted by droptopmini
Yes, they look like the older style Porsche/VW Rims.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 AM
jac
1st Gear
Guys,

yup...those are the rims of choice. I really like the shape, IMHO, one of the best looking modern offset interpretation of the minilite/panasport/rs wantanabe style rim that is out there. The Konig rewinds are close, but not *IT* And I'm not paying moss what they want for the panasports. Didn't do it with the miata, won't do it here.

My wife loved the look of the S-Lites, but there was no way i was putting those anchors on anything. (I come from the land of miata, weight is the enemy!)

So, she said "Fine, no problem. However, i HATE the X-lites. We need to get different rims for her!" Who am I to say that my wife can't have the rims she wants on her MCSa?!?

While I rally like them and think they are going to look killer on the CR, I think I am going to go with the AR1 when we order my 06 next spring!

Attached Thumbnails Production Week 32 (8/8/05) Support Group-asa_ar1_ci3_l.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
jac
1st Gear
uh-oh! getting a reputation already!

UUNetBill, you are spot on!

-jac

Actually, I think they look more like the old Minilite mags:

Minilite:

ASA JH6:

If I had to guess, I'd say that jac did that on purpose. . .

Old 09-02-2005, 09:59 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
jac - your other choice for the '06 looks good, too!! I think for now we're going to leave the S-Heavys, er, S-Lites on the wife's inbound MCSCa, but I've still got the JS5s sitting in the garage. . .

That's the beauty of MINIs - you can put anything you want on 'em (within reason) and they look pretty durn good. . .but I tend to like the classic looks myself, being of the older persuasion. . .

Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM
jac
1st Gear
UUNetBill,

thanks! Your 5-spokes look good! I like the classic look as well, but i have always been a sucker for the classic BBS style rim. IMHO, the miata isn't the right car for those, hence it runs a set of light Rota C8's:

http://www.homenetinc.com/employees/...jac_miata.html

I am thinking that my car will also join the DS/B club, and the BBS style rims will look great on that!

cheers!

-jac

Old 09-02-2005, 02:03 PM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
I had to go with the web spokes. I figure I paid for the sport package and I didn't want toe S-lites either so I opted to go the extra $500 and get the web spokes. I hope they are a little lighter weight.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mel has arrived!

I missed him being unloaded from the truck by about 2 minutes! I was really hoping to get a few shots while he was still on the truck.

One reason I chose ALL PW was because I look and see a blank canvas. I can't wait to get him all fixed up like I have envisioned. Unfortunately, my pocketbook/wife won't let me do it all at once like I'd like to! Of course I'll get new photos with each modification.

I'll bring him home next week. But first, he needs a Clear Bra, some window tint and some Orange stripes! (Gotta start somewhere!)

Heh. I even bought a new pair of running shoes tonight that have the same colors as Mel's interior - Grey/Black/Orange. Now, I've officially gone overboard!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:19 PM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
Mel has arrived!

I missed him being unloaded from the truck by about 2 minutes! I was really hoping to get a few shots while he was still on the truck.

One reason I chose ALL PW was because I look and see a blank canvas. I can't wait to get him all fixed up like I have envisioned. Unfortunately, my pocketbook/wife won't let me do it all at once like I'd like to! Of course I'll get new photos with each modification.

I'll bring him home next week. But first, he needs a Clear Bra, some window tint and some Orange stripes! (Gotta start somewhere!)

Heh. I even bought a new pair of running shoes tonight that have the same colors as Mel's interior - Grey/Black/Orange. Now, I've officially gone overboard!
Hello Mel!!

Orange stripes... very cool

Web spokes?

Old 09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by MINI Steve
Web spokes?
Nah. Just the standard X-lites. Mel is pretty basic - read light-weight.

Eventually, Mel will also have an Orange roof with PW stripes. Mel is actually short for Melon. His full name is actually Melon Z. MINI (Z. = Ziptastic!)

Old 09-02-2005, 08:31 PM
jac
1st Gear
Delivered!

Many thanks to joe at ottos! we picked up our tonight ...he even managed to get the rims on (brand new X-Lites for sale!!! . I just did a quick install of the IceLink Plus for our ride to the beach tomorrow. Didn't hide the wires, just got it playing...

Here is a quick pic:

Wow....this car is great!!! Full write up with pics when we get back!

to the rest of you waiting, hang in there!!!!

-jac

Attached Thumbnails Production Week 32 (8/8/05) Support Group-darth_lil.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by droptopmini
Are you able to contact the trucking company and have them radio the truck to see where they are? Is the trucking company owned or operated by BMW/MINI?
Sorry I missed this earlier. To the best of my knowledge, BMT (Bavarian Motor Transport) is not owned or operated by BMW/MINI. They are a contracted firm. BMT also hauls Mercedes, Porsche and I believe a few other premium makes. While I believe it may be possible, I have never tried to locate the exact location of a truck. I think one of our other salesman may have at one point due to an exceptional delay. I don't think that the BMT folks appreciate this very much unless there is a "real" issue/concern.

I actually spoke to the driver that delivered Mel for a little while. Very nice gentleman but, regretfully, I have already forgotten his name. These guys often don't get the respect they deserve. It was nice to hear him refer to the cars on his truck as "his" cars. He obviously takes personal ownership and responsibility for each car while they are in his possession. Of course it's his job, but just listening to his language and the way he spoke made you realize that he takes a lot of pride in doing his job well. I was honored for him to have delivered Mel to me. ...He also said that he recently ordered a new MINI for his daughter!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by jac
we picked up our tonight ...he even managed to get the rims on
Congrats! I am definitely a fan of CR/B. The wheels are a nice touch.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 09-06-2005, 07:04 AM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
Took Delivery!!!

Hello Everyone!
I unexpectedly took delivery of my MINI on Friday! I called the dealership to check if I could drop off my old lease, and was told that it had just arrived and that I could pick it up that evening. Unfortunately, I couldn't fully enjoy the top-down experience that night due to the rain, but I found an excuse to go back to the dealer on Saturday morning (drop off the manual of the old car, and redeem a $50 MINI parts coupon) with my son. The top went down and WOW, it brought back memories of the Wrangler I owned 16 years ago.

The dealer experience at Braman was actually pretty good. I know that the Miami MINI dealers, Braman and South Motors, don't have the best reputation, but I had a really, really painless experience. From the ordering (MSRP with NO dealer fee), to the delevery (Floor mats included and a $50 MINI parts coupon). I really have NOTHING to say but good things. Of course, your results may vary, yada, yada, yada.

On Saturday, we were going to the Keys for the long weekend in the mini-van (2005 Honda Odyssey). That car is the definition of practical, especially with two kids. However, I convinced the wife to go in the MINI. I can now say that yes, you CAN go on a long week-end with a family of four in a MINI. The boot was packed tight, it swallowed all the bags we had. My wife was very surprised.

Overall the experience was great. The MINI is TIGHT. I had to keep reminding myself of the break-in. The MINI was practically begging to rev past 4500! It was great week-end, despite the rain.

Again, thanks to all of the fellow motorers that I've met on NAM! I post pictures as soon as I can!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Name switch: Jac = fishbulb

Our MSCa did about 300 miles this weekend on our trip to the beach. So much fun, even below 4500 RPMs! Woke up super early on saturday morning....it was like christmas in the garage, even though it is my wife's present!!!

More pics of ours in the gallery!

-jac

Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
Congrats guys. Perfect time for motoring! Send more pics!

Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jac
Many thanks to joe at ottos! we picked up our tonight ...he even managed to get the rims on (brand new X-Lites for sale!!! . I just did a quick install of the IceLink Plus for our ride to the beach tomorrow. Didn't hide the wires, just got it playing...

-jac
if you got your as ottos then weren't you going down the shore? what's this about a beach?

Old 09-06-2005, 01:46 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we got funny people!!!

I don't know...I grew up in jersey, less than a mile from the OCEAN. We always called it the beach i guess, but never really thought about it...

either way, it was a very fun ride!

Originally Posted by theroyalwe
if you got your as ottos then weren't you going down the shore? what's this about a beach?

Old 09-09-2005, 07:09 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Anyone order from Schomp?!?

Okay, man, this is NOT getting any easier. . .

Has anyone here ordered a new MINI from Schomp? If so, how freakin' long did it take to get from the VDC in Cali to Denver???

Just got an e-mail from my MA, he's telling me that we're looking at 4 weeks from the VDC to delivery - which I, of course, think is beyond nuts - it's totally insane.

We ordered this car on JULY 1st!! There have been some unexpected delays, but as near as I can tell, the dates run something like this:

July 1st - ordered.
August 12th - production completed.
August 23rd - scheduled for shipment.
August 24th - departed Southampton (on the BUJIN, I think - but no one knows for sure)
September 13th - due to arrive in Port Hueneme
October 11th - tentative delivery date, based on e-mail from MA.

Am I the only one that thinks 3 1/2 months from order to delivery is a bit long? Is it realistic to expect a FOUR WEEK wait from the VDC to the dealer? That's freakin' crazy - I might need to drive out there and just hijack the damn truck. . .I'm losin' it here. . .top-down motoring season in Colorado is slowly drifting away. . .HELP!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 01:56 PM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
UUNetBill - I feel YOUR pain now. You have helped me through this ordeal now its my time to help you. My order will have taken 13 weeks from order to delivery if my MINI get shere when the MA says and I'm on the East coast. So since it takes about 3 weeks longer to get a west coast delivery then that's about right for yours. Seems that the MINI convertibles have been taking a hit on the production schedules. Seems they take longer to produce than the hard tops. Some of the guys on the east coast get there cars in 5 weeks from order to driving but not mine. I think we got caught up in the delays. I'm just hoping that the Huricanes on the east coast are not going to affect my ship coming into port in South Carolina next Wednesday or I could be looking at another delay at the VDC. Hang in there, man.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:18 PM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
July 1st - ordered.
August 12th - production completed.
August 23rd - scheduled for shipment.
August 24th - departed Southampton (on the BUJIN, I think - but no one knows for sure)
September 13th - due to arrive in Port Hueneme
October 11th - tentative delivery date, based on e-mail from MA.

Is it realistic to expect a FOUR WEEK wait from the VDC to the dealer?
I would agree that a 4 week period from VDC to dealer is not a believable number. Your MA (or his/her manager) can look and identifiy what ship and shipping line you are on and when it is due to arrive in port. If your date above for delivery is valid, then I would suggest that the ship idenified is incorrect. I would get your MA/MA manager to validate the ship information... they've got it within 5 days of the time the car leaves the Southampton port...

Let us know what's happened!

Old 09-09-2005, 03:19 PM
droptopmini
2nd Gear
That's correct. My ship (Franconia) sailed on Aug 31st and my MA was able to tell me the MINI was on this boat the following day, Sep 1st. Don't know how they were able to get the info that fast but they did. Ofcoarse they knew I was very anxious to know since my MINI was bumped from sailing on another ship.

Quick Reply: Production Week 32 (8/8/05) Support Group