1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to this world!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:21 AM
rond
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to this world!

Hello all, I've just taken delivery of my new Mini on 7/22/05. I'm new to this site and would like to get some info on adding bonnet stripes. Specifically, I'd really like to find a template since I have access to the decal material. This will be my first of many upgrades to an already wonderful vehicle! My next challenge is adding the iPod adapter to my glove box. I may have my dealer to that one since I'm hesitant to remove my radio and screw up the dash!

Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi rond...welcome to NAM and to the wonderful world of MINIs. It's good you have some initial projects to further personalize your MINI...use the search function (under the yellow MINI at the top of the screen) to catch up on the state-of-the-art discussions on items of interest. I don't think there's an official bonnet stripe template, but several folks have done their own stripes (...so there's probably a template out there somewhere, if you know what I mean. )

Old 08-01-2005, 03:39 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you've got access to striping materials, I'd suggest that you use the opportunity to "you-ify" (I believe that's MINI's official nomenclature for personalizing) your MINI... I specced my own bonnet/boot stripes from CooperFlags, after looking at what was available pre-made and not seeing what I really wanted. I mainly used images online to determine what kind of things I liked and what I didn't, then started editing photographs of my (unstriped) car. When it got down to the final spec, I took care to actually measure things on the car, and used small 3M post-it notes to mark where the edges of things would be, so that I could simulate the visual better in my edited photos.

With access to materials, you would have the additional benefit of being able to do some trial & error, without worrying too much about the cost if it doesn't work out.

Just trying to suggest an alternative to hand-fabbing what would look like factory graphics...

_Dave_

Old 08-01-2005, 03:50 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Amoeba: Nice stripes--especially the tone. You're absolutely right. MINIs deserve individualized stripes.

I thought rond had posted a baby thread "new to this world", but certainly a new MINI qualifies on this forum. No baby pictures of the car though.

Rond: How about posting some photos so we can all compare our babies? Congratulations.

PS: If you find out how to make the IPod adaptor do more than forward/backward selections and high/low volume please post something. I wish I could use my IPod's own controls to override the MINI's, but so far no luck. And no instructions in the Radio manual or Owners manual. So I keep hearing the same tunes in sequence--beginning with groups whose names start with numbers.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the comments, Morkn'! :smile:

Not to hijack the thread, but about the iPod Adapter: The interface is pretty frustrating, and very limited in it's capabilities, but it is somewhat more functional than what you describe...

The key to making the mostof it is to pre-arrange special playlists in the iTunes software. You can have 5 of these lists that the MINI iPod adapter will recognize:

MINI1
MINI2
MINI3
MINI4
MINI5

These names correspond to the CD selector/radio preset buttons on the MINI's head unit. (Preset button 6 is the default: all songs on the iPod)

If you like, you can extend the names of these lists for more descriptive titles. Here's what I currently have:

MINI1_Fun!
MINI2_OpenRoad
MINI3_Aggro
MINI4_Decompress
MINI5_A la Mode

You can maximize your MINI iPod experience by updating, changing, and rearranging these lists in iTunes on your computer when they start getting stale in the car. It helps to make the lists really big (lots of songs), and to use the random function on the MINI head unit (Although it seems to me that the "random" order is the same each time... Best to switch between random and normal mode within a playlist between songs while in the car...

It's really a shame that the interface disables the iPod screen and controls, and that the fucntionality is so limited, but I still like it better than dragging a bunch of MP3 CDs or even more audio CDs in and out of the car, and the sound quality is so much better than any of the FM transmitters or audio cassette adapters.

FWIW, I tried to get both the iPod interface AND the auxiliary input installed, but was told that they could not both be installed on the same stereo.... I'm still wondering about that.

Back on topic: Here's a pic of my custom stripes:

_Dave_

Old 08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
inkdripz
1st Gear
i finally feel like part of the family
just got my mini on 7/31/05!
cant wait to start picking your brains on modding!

Old 08-03-2005, 05:20 PM
BBoy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by inkdripz
i finally feel like part of the family
just got my mini on 7/31/05!
cant wait to start picking your brains on modding!
SWEET!

Show us some pics!

Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 AM
rond
1st Gear
This is great! Thanks to notes and photos describing how to install my MP3 adapter, I was up and running within minutes (instead of following the factory instructions which started with "remove your radio"!). I'm using my adapter with an iPod Shuffle (I guess I like small, white things), so I have little control over song order and a blank display is what I'm used to. You are correct, am0eba, the real power of the iPod exists in iTunes. Again, with the Shuffle I'm limited to 'loaded order' or 'shuffle' modes, but it still beats CD's cluttering the interior of my MINI.

Thank you also for the comments on striping - I'm going to get daring this week once I get the time. I'll post some photos once the MINI's finished getting dressed!

Old 08-12-2005, 03:08 PM
rond
1st Gear
Well I've finally completed my first two projects; adding the MP3 adapter and applying bonnet stripes. The MP3 adapter went in without a hitch thanks to some great advise from this forum. I'd like to show you a photo of my bonnet striped but I haven't a clue how to post a photo. Any ideas?

Old 08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rond
I'd like to show you a photo of my bonnet striped but I haven't a clue how to post a photo. Any ideas?
Here you go...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...aq_member_post

Old 08-14-2005, 09:32 AM
rond
1st Gear
Here's my new MINI sporting its racing stripes at the speedway. My son and I installed them - I think it's time to add more to the rear!

Old 08-18-2005, 12:50 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
sewing your stripes on

Nice Mini! I'm still waiting for my black beauty to come in this November. Have fun driving her! I'll live vicariously through you for now.

--pyratio