1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Chicagoland Mini Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Schwinn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Chicagoland Mini Owner

Hey all!

Got my mini a few weeks ago. Took a while to find the right deal but got my 2002 MC w/premium, sport, cold weather package w/50k miles for 14k with a set of Blizzaks for the winter too. Very happy with it so far. I do some commuting so that was the original idea. I like it a lot. Thinking I may get a S next year. No real big problems yet. The guy that had it took it back to the dealer to have every single rattle fixed while he had it so it is very tight and quiet. I did have a problem with the window last week. I didn't get the door closed and then reclosed but the window had already gone to the very top. When I went to roll it down the window didn't work for a little while ,but fixed on its own later.

Oh and I am in the SW Chicagoland area. Just south of Joliet actually.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:49 AM
spec35
1st Gear
Hello and welcome. I am from Joliet and my wife is the proud owner (for almost 1 month) of an 05 MCS P/S with black stripes. 82 miles until 5,000 rpm's!

Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, Schwinn! How many miles on your very nice '02? Is it still under warranty? Enjoy motoring and enjoy our fun site here!

Clover

Old 08-05-2005, 10:00 AM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
Congratulations on your new (pre-owned) MINI.

While I'm not from Chicago, I have lived there. I go back at least once a year to visit family. (Was last there in April.) I even drove there and back in my MINI a couple of summers ago.

Welcome to the MINI Nation!

Old 08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
zinvestor
4th Gear
Welcome Schwinn, I'm sure you will enjoy your MINI. If you're interested, there are a couple of clubs in the area, one meets at Bill Jacobs Mini in Naperville on 2nd Sat @ 10:30, other has forum in regional section of NAM.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:57 AM
NealW
2nd Gear
Welcome to NAM. Sounds like a nice MINI and I’m sure that you’ll enjoy the MINI and Blizzak combination next winter.

Are you related to Ignaz Schwinn, founder of the bicycle company? With a name like Schwinn and Chicago address, I’m sure you get asked a lot.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Schwinn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NealW
Welcome to NAM. Sounds like a nice MINI and I’m sure that you’ll enjoy the MINI and Blizzak combination next winter.

Are you related to Ignaz Schwinn, founder of the bicycle company? With a name like Schwinn and Chicago address, I’m sure you get asked a lot.
Nah I never hear that! Actually doesn't really matter where I am. I lived in Minnesota for the first 12 years of life, Tennessee the next 13 years and Chciago the last 3. I hear it quite often. Either that or a long story about their first Schwinn that I usually try to sound very interested in. :smile: Unfortunately no relation...at least not close enough that they are sending me checks. I do bicycle though.

blacknblue...it has 50k so no warranty.

zinvestor...thanks for the info. I may take you up on that.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:36 PM
zinvestor
4th Gear
Hope you do, its a good group. Leave a bit of time afterward as we have been know to descend on one of the nearby establishments for a bit of nosh and socializing following the meeting. Its really fun to see the expressions on peoples faces when anywhere from 5 to 20 minis line up in a shopping center parking lot

Old 08-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Deuce Coupe Effect
4th Gear
Location: From New Lenox, IL., but living in West Lafayette, IN.
Nice, I'm actually from New Lenox (on the east side of Joliet). Right now studying at Purdue and my family has moved to an area west of Kankakee, but New Lenox will always be my home town. I got a buddy there with an '03 IB/W MC who basically sold me on the MINI. He is a real cool guy, so if you see him motoring around give him a wave or a headlight flash. We love it when MINI owners acknowledge each other.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Schwinn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Deuce Coupe Effect
Nice, I'm actually from New Lenox (on the east side of Joliet). Right now studying at Purdue and my family has moved to an area west of Kankakee, but New Lenox will always be my home town.
Yeah...not too far away. I actually live off of the I-55 Kankakee exit. Which is probably 25 miles NW of Kankakee. The town I live in is Diamond. Basically the Coal City, Braidwood, Wilmington vicinity.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Seik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zinvestor
Welcome Schwinn, I'm sure you will enjoy your MINI. If you're interested, there are a couple of clubs in the area, one meets at Bill Jacobs Mini in Naperville on 2nd Sat @ 10:30, other has forum in regional section of NAM.
First off, congrats on the MINI. I'm from Joliet, so we'll probably see each other prowling the roads.

Second, I'm gonna have to check out the MINI club that meets at Bill Jacobs. I asked someone there if they ever had any meets, and the MA told me no. Grrrr.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Deuce Coupe Effect
4th Gear
Location: From New Lenox, IL., but living in West Lafayette, IN.
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Yeah...not too far away. I actually live off of the I-55 Kankakee exit. Which is probably 25 miles NW of Kankakee. The town I live in is Diamond. Basically the Coal City, Braidwood, Wilmington vicinity.
Nice, well my home is between Braidwood and Kankakee in a super tiny town known as Custer Park. We are directly off of the road that shadows the river on the south side (I think it is 113). I'd say look out for me in my MINI, but I wont be ordering mine until about March. But I'll keep my eye open for you when I'm in the area. Don't be surprised if a light blue 1997 Pontiac Bonneville gives you a thumbs up.