1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Ed Adams
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering problem

First time user and I need help with a power steering motor problem. I have a 2004 MINI and it recently developed a problem where the PS motor runs all the time, even with the key sw. off. I have to disconnect the battery everytime I stop for awhile, otherwise the battey will go dead. I recently got a manual and it is of not help for this problem. The dealer says bring it in for a look see, but I am about 100 miles away and very busy at work currently. I am also waiting on a part to come in so I can get things fixed with one trip.

Is there a relay somewhere (hidden) which may be stuck or bad? I would assume normally the PS starts when the key is turned on.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with power steering pump??

See... Whining noise = Dead Battery

Unfortunately, looks like you will need to make a trip to the dealer.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The power steering motor/pump has an internal 'solid state switch', a transistor (or set of them) that control the power to the pump. There is a small set of wires that send the torn-on signal to it. If the pump is running with the key off, it's a good sign that the power controller built into the motor has failed and is 'stuck on'. This problem seems to not be very common, but sometimes is accompanied by (probably caused by) a failure of the cooling fan underneath.

That controller also varies the power to the pump depending on the load. The motor runs slower (and consumes less power) when you are not turning the wheel. or driving straight. Putting pressure on the wheel makes it kick in accordingly.

There is a fuse that supplies power to the pump, but it is not easy to access. The fuse is actually underneath the fuse box under the bonnet, along with three others. The fuse for the pump is 100 amps, and is bolted into the fuse holder. To get to this fuse requires unbolting the fuse box, turning it over, removing a snap on cover and unbolting the fuse.

Sounds like warranty work to me.