1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey who says car excitment end cause one turns The Big 50?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Marla
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey who says car excitment end cause one turns The Big 50?

Hello everyone I am new here and I live in Texas. I turned the Big 50 this past July and while my husband and I have been in the market for a new car he surprised me here recently by ordering me a Mini Cooper and I can hardly wait. They say its due in within 2 weeks maybe sooner. It will be pepper white with a black top and yes the sun roof and since we do not have a garage we decided on leatherette. Its not the S model however that is okay with me! So when you see a 50 year old lady driving a pepper white cooper wave cause it will be me. Question to all of; Could You please tell me the pros and cons of being a Mini Cooper Owner? I am still a bit concern for I live out in the hills where there are some bumpy roads , dirt & gravel roads. However a close friend of mine who is from England said; Coopers love those types of roads. Thank you for your input.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:02 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Marla...welcome to NAM from another Texas owner!!! MINIs are pretty amazing little cars so there's lots of pros to talk about. The main thing is probably that the car's handling capabilities are extraordinary. It's a very engaging motoring experience...you'll love that!!!

If I were to consider cons, though, I'd only say that the car tends to elicit inordinate levels of devotion from owners...you'd better plan on lavishing more attention on your car than you may have been used to previously. Not necessarily a con...but it may come as a bit of a shocker.

As for the roads...MINIs are fairly low to the ground so watch those bumps if they're extreme. Also, if you're due to encounter a fair amount of road debris or gravel, some owners invest in clear bras, stone shields, headlight protection, and other such gadgets to avoid excessive damage to paint and glass.

MINI handling is truly superb...but I recommend watching it on dirt roads where traction may not be optimum...the car's playful and willing nature could get away from you w/o adequate traction. DSC may be helpful...but driving wisely within the limits of road condition helps even more. I'm sure you're used to it, but MINIs can bring out some very peculiar behavior from their drivers.

Hope you can spend some time rummaging around NAM now and again...there are some pretty cool folks here, lots of valuable information, and some true characters.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:56 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, Marla! I got my first MINI in 2002 for my 50th birthday....so that means you're continuing the tradition!

Our MINIs love all kinds of road conditions, but if you come across flooded-out roads with deep standing water, be very careful! Be sure to read your new Owner's Manual, paying particular attention to the warnings about going through water. As for rocky, bumpy roads...well, our MINIs have a lot of road feel...they are NOT rolling sofas! You will feel the bumps, but you will also love being in touch with the road...especially all the twists and turns!

Be sure to read lots of the forums here and send me a Private Message if you need any help on the site. Cheers!

Clover

Old 08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Welcome on board Marla,

Your Mini will love the Hill country roads, I promise you. Don't be a stranger

Old 08-21-2005, 07:30 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations on your birthday and birthday present. You're gonna love it!

Your car will probably come with runflat tires. They're great for peace of mind, but lousy for comfort. Something to keep in mind if the ride seems a bit harsh. (I got used to the more "in touch" ride over time, but I rarely find myself on dirt roads!)

Check out the detailing forum for comments about the car's finish. I'm in the camp that thinks it's pretty soft, so I'd ditto the clearbra comment. You can get that vinyl for the headlights too.

ZAINO!

If you your MA hasn't already discussed pre-programing options with you, give 'em a call so you can decide which you want, and so that they can have that taken care when you pick up the car.

Be ready to get lots of admiring glances and comments on your new ride!

Old 08-22-2005, 11:08 AM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
62 and counting

Howdy Marla,
Congrats on your new Mini. Pepper white and black is a great look. After nearly a year, I test drove and ordered my first modern Mini this weekend at age 62. It will be my Christmas present and next Birthday present too and I'm counting on it to help keep me young and alive for many more! What a great car. I'm definitely planning on some clear protection for mine as soon as it arrives. I hope to see you in the Hill Country too.
John

Old 08-22-2005, 12:03 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
I'm 53 and my wife is 50. We both drive MINI's. In fact most of our MINI club is "middle-age". I think MINI got their demographics a little off as most MINI drivers I see are...shall we say, a little older.

Anyway, welcome to the fold. The waters fine. Enjoy your new ride.

ripley.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:03 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Mini @ 50

Welcome Marla - love your specs - my fiancee and I (I'm 53) have a PW/B 2006 mini on order, & also drive an '02 Audi 225 TT. Enjoy your motoring & like the post said above, check out the wealth of info in the detailing section.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:36 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Marla,

Welcome to NAM

I will turn 65 the 26th of Sept. and I love my MCS.

Pros of being a MINI owner: To many to list

Cons of being a MINI owner: Red and blue light in my rear view mirror.

You will love your MINI as the rest of us do.

Earl