1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any NASA Mini drvers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 AM
sssammy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any NASA Mini drvers out there?

I have recently purchased a 04 Mini jcw package and cannot wait to drve it on our local track. I used to have a turbo miata that was great but had to sell for my son's education $$. I was looking for another Miata and ran across the Mini. I did not know that much about them but I was hooked after the test drive , and barring any finacial stress plan on keeping it for a long time.

I am planning on taking it to a driving class thru NASA HPDE class. Is anyone involved with this group and have any experience with them?

Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 AM
newbs49
Banned
I have run with this group once and may do Beaver Run over Labor Day. Good group. You should join the club and get all the benefits. Where are you located.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:06 AM
sssammy
1st Gear
Nasa

Thanks for the reply! I live in The Indianapolis area and the event I signed up for is at Putnam Park on Oct. 8-9. I have been to a few NASA events as a spectator.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
I have done other groups. Recently I went to Sears Point to watch the races and saw NASA HPDE run. I could not enter because they were full. It looked well organized and offered lots of track time with a variety of vehicles. I saw a few MINIs out there having a good time. I plan to do one as soon as I can.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
newbs49
Banned
Nasa

Have you done any mods to your car. The MINI is a great track car. If you haven't had it on a track your in for a great surprise. Good luck. Follow posts by Onasled. He's become a real track JUNKY. Great posts and video.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 AM
red rage
4th Gear
I did Mid-Ohio with NASA, crowded but good, join and enjoy

Levels 1 and 2 HPDE are with Instructor in car
Levels 3 and 4 are Solo, you might be able to have an in car instructor in 3?

I did Putnam Park (Fun little course, the MINI was tearing it up !!) with the Phil Wick's driving ... www.minidriving.com

Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
NASA is a great organization to learn high performance driving with, they are well organized and runs great track days, they usually have a few races mixed in with HPDE. I have done a few events with tthem this year at Mid-Ohio, VIR, Summit Pt., Shenandoah, and Pocono South. I have completed 27 track days so far this year 24 of those in my MINI, which now has 100485 miles on the odometer.

I also am a certified instructor for NASA-MA

Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
I am an instructor with the OH/Indiana NASA Region. Lawrence puts on a great, safe event and Putnam is a GREAT track to learn on. Not too many things to hit there if you do make a mistake .

I hope to do the Putnam event in October, but need to find a way to transport a set of wheels, luggage, my twins (and their gear) and my wife over there without taking 2 vehicles (she doesn't want to drive herself).

Try it, if you enjoy driving fast, you will love HPDE! I started in 1990 and let me tell you, it is addicting and expensive! Hope to see you there!!

Old 08-25-2005, 08:13 AM
sssammy
1st Gear
That's Great. I am glad you responded because I was wondering how often someone that put alot of miles on his car along with track time changes his oil? Also when on the track do you have any problems with high temp. or is the factory radiator OK?
Originally Posted by dkstone
NASA is a great organization to learn high performance driving with, they are well organized and runs great track days, they usually have a few races mixed in with HPDE. I have done a few events with tthem this year at Mid-Ohio, VIR, Summit Pt., Shenandoah, and Pocono South. I have completed 27 track days so far this year 24 of those in my MINI, which now has 100485 miles on the odometer.

I also am a certified instructor for NASA-MA

Old 08-25-2005, 08:22 AM
sssammy
1st Gear
I hope you make it and look forward to your advise. Can you tell me how much tire wear I can expect in the two days of HPDE. My tires have say 15-20000 mile left on them(normal driving).
Originally Posted by go_mini_go
I am an instructor with the OH/Indiana NASA Region. Lawrence puts on a great, safe event and Putnam is a GREAT track to learn on. Not too many things to hit there if you do make a mistake .

I hope to do the Putnam event in October, but need to find a way to transport a set of wheels, luggage, my twins (and their gear) and my wife over there without taking 2 vehicles (she doesn't want to drive herself).

Try it, if you enjoy driving fast, you will love HPDE! I started in 1990 and let me tell you, it is addicting and expensive! Hope to see you there!!

Old 08-25-2005, 08:34 AM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
If they are street tires you will most likely chunk the left front tire by overheating it. They will most likely last the weekend, just keep an eye on them and rotate as necessary.

I change my oil after every event (or so). I am not a fanatic about it, I think I have changed it 2 times in 5000 miles.

You may consider picking up a set of brake pads and swapping out your brake fluid before the event. Alex at tirerack can help with the pads. I use Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid and Hawk HP+ pads.

I have had no issues with overheating or any other mechanical problem from tracking the car. Most likely will not be an issue.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sssammy
That's Great. I am glad you responded because I was wondering how often someone that put alot of miles on his car along with track time changes his oil? Also when on the track do you have any problems with high temp. or is the factory radiator OK?
To be honest I am not that fanatical about chainging the oil, I used to go the full 15K between oil and filter changes, now I change the oil about every 3K and the filter every other oil change. I have had test and tune days where the sessions are 40 minutes long with no over heating issues, other than the JCW and a milltek header there are no other mods to the engine, but I do run MTH tuner file at times.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 AM
newbs49
Banned
SSSAMMY

I change my oil before every event and sometimes when I get home after one if it's a two day event. Cheap insurance. But, I'm an oil change nut. I would also change the trans fluid once a year if you track the car. Redline has a fine product. Change your brake fluid before the event and get new high perf. pads. Get a good fluid. The Ford fluid dot 4 high perf is cheap and one of the best or ATE blue. Have fun and keep all 4 on the ground.