1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mini Almost Drowned

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 08:36 AM
jggonzalez
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lcubed
my old vw jetta gli used to do exactly that when the alternator belt got wet.(stumble, warning lights, rough idle). these problems went away after
i got the dealer to put the splash guard that they had left off back on.
Can you describe the splash guard? Maybe we could come up with something similar for our MCs?

Old 09-10-2005, 07:29 AM
classpro
2nd Gear
I disagree mbchurchill. There is no excuse for being rude on these forums. More importantly, this discussion isn't about reading the manual. First, the manual did not say anything clearly about how to go through 4 inches of standing water. Second, the manual also says nothing about breaking-in a NEWLY INSTALLED engine. Maybe it's the same as breaking in an engine in a new car, and maybe it's different. Certainly not stupid to ask. Third, there is significant debate about whether the manual's breakin period guidelines are the last word. Even my dealer suggested running up the rpms once in a while for proper breakin, and some suggest driving very hard right at the beginning. It's far from clear. If you want to remind someone about what the manual says, go ahead. If you want to provide any other information, great. This forum is about sharing information and experiences to help each other. Being rude and arrogant -- and suggesting that acting that way is going to teach someone a lesson -- says more about you than the person asking the question. There are real issues raised here. The people that have jumped in to suggest that the poster was not telling the truth, was lazy, etc., are not doing anyone any good. Also, people who repeatedly say "this has already been discussed - look it up" do not help. If you have a link to a prior discussion, great. But there are too many posts here to expect everyone to have each one memorized, and new discussions of previous topics continue to add light to the issue. I think those of you who can do nothing but insult new people to establish your own expertise need to grow up.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:19 PM
scarlett omini
2nd Gear
It certainly isn't too much to ask that the original poster go to her car at the dealership, while it's being fixed, and retreive the manual out of the glovebox, now is it? Or is that being too harsh?

I know during the interminal days while I waited for my car to be born and delivered, I read the online manual. Then when I got the car, I read the manual in person. And I consulted it several times since.

And for all the folks up in arms over their perceived notion that the hydrolock suffered at the hand of the original poster's MINI is a design flaw, then I challenge them this: find me all the MINI's that have gotten hydrolocked. My guess is that throughout the numerous MINI-boards out there, there are only a few examples. Why? If this was an actual design flaw, wouldn't there be hundreds/thousands? People drive in the rain all the time and splash thru puddles. If this was an actual design flaw, we would be hearing about it often, and we're not.

Bottom line (and this goes for MINI's and non-MINI's alike): if you do not know the depth of the water you are going to drive thru, then common sense says DON'T DRIVE THRU IT and if you gotta THEN DRIVE THRU AT YOUR OWN RISK. Yeah, so one time you drove thru a foot of water and lived to tell about it. Guess what? You got lucky. Next time you may not. Don't come whining to momma 'bout it.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Teampajn
4th Gear
OKAY, so there is a few snorkel exhausts out there on a Jeep. Had to laugh for starting all those hours spent searching to prove me wrong. Better get one for that MINI of yours

Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
Submerging a hot engine into cold water does not mean a cracked block. Go back and look at the picture I posted showing my Pathfinder submerged into a glacial river (glacier is a couple hundred feet to the right). This was not a one time deal either....we did it routinely, and always a hot motor into a glacial river. Never had a cracked block, and never heard of anyone else having one either.

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh.........
An engine block will crack when it is allowed to cool to QUICKLY, not if it is dunked in cold water. Take an engine that is running, it is generating heat while in operation, so it will be very slow to cool down. Take same engine shut off and dunk it in the water and it might crack, same as taking a hot glass and sticking it in a cold bath of water.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:27 PM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by classpro
I disagree mbchurchill. There is no excuse for being rude on these forums. More importantly, this discussion isn't about reading the manual. First, the manual did not say anything clearly about how to go through 4 inches of standing water. Second, the manual also says nothing about breaking-in a NEWLY INSTALLED engine. Maybe it's the same as breaking in an engine in a new car, and maybe it's different. Certainly not stupid to ask. Third, there is significant debate about whether the manual's breakin period guidelines are the last word. Even my dealer suggested running up the rpms once in a while for proper breakin, and some suggest driving very hard right at the beginning. It's far from clear. If you want to remind someone about what the manual says, go ahead. If you want to provide any other information, great. This forum is about sharing information and experiences to help each other. Being rude and arrogant -- and suggesting that acting that way is going to teach someone a lesson -- says more about you than the person asking the question. There are real issues raised here. The people that have jumped in to suggest that the poster was not telling the truth, was lazy, etc., are not doing anyone any good. Also, people who repeatedly say "this has already been discussed - look it up" do not help. If you have a link to a prior discussion, great. But there are too many posts here to expect everyone to have each one memorized, and new discussions of previous topics continue to add light to the issue. I think those of you who can do nothing but insult new people to establish your own expertise need to grow up.
Look, you didn't even READ my post 'cause it got pulled by the moderator. I didn't think it was all THAT rude - but heck, I'm from New Jersey - so maybe I have a higher threshold for pain than most...

I bet you judge books by their cover too.

- - m

Old 09-13-2005, 05:44 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
An engine block will crack when it is allowed to cool to QUICKLY, not if it is dunked in cold water. Take an engine that is running, it is generating heat while in operation, so it will be very slow to cool down. Take same engine shut off and dunk it in the water and it might crack, same as taking a hot glass and sticking it in a cold bath of water.
I agree that this might happen, but in the context of this discussion the engine would be running.....same as I illustrated with my picture.