1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

floor mat question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 AM
etak
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
floor mat question

i'm considering bidding on some rubber floor mats on ebay for my new cooper S; the seller has several sets listed, each labelled as specifically for the cooper, cooper convertible, cooper s, and cooper s convertible. do i really need to get the ones for the cooper s, or are all MINI floors the same?

thanks!

Old 08-31-2005, 10:12 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure you want rubber?

My wife HATES her rubber mats. Get Dirty and shows the dirt quickly and easily

just a thought

Old 08-31-2005, 10:13 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
All front mats are the same for all MINI models. The REAR mats are smaller in the convertible. There are a few sets out there that have "MINI", "S" or "cooper s" embroidered on or that have a badge specific to the model.....

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
etak
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OutMotoring
All front mats are the same for all MINI models. The REAR mats are smaller in the convertible. There are a few sets out there that have "MINI", "S" or "cooper s" embroidered on or that have a badge specific to the model.....
great, thanks for the info!

Old 08-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^Since your question has been answered, I'll add to the other comment...

OTOH, I absolutely LOVE the rubber mats!

They clean up SO easy (just a damp terry towel most of the time) and they look brand new for so long. No worry about any stains from salt in the winter and it contains all the water from melting snow.

There are sooooo many threads extolling the virtues of each.... a quick search will give you lots of reading if you are interested to see other opinions.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Mini2Go
errrr.... I just noticed that you won't be worried about that nasty winter weather. :smile:

Old 08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
etak
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Are you sure you want rubber?

My wife HATES here rubber mats. Get Dirty and shows the dirt quickly and easily

just a thought
hmm, i like the look of the rubber ones better, and i bet they are easier to clean than the carpet ones, but i see your point. thanks for the info.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
etak
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
errrr.... I just noticed that you won't be worried about that nasty winter weather. :smile:
yeah, not too much snow around here :smile: but for that long weekend road trip to tahoe, maybe!

Old 08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by etak
i'm considering bidding on some rubber floor mats on ebay for my new cooper S; the seller has several sets listed, each labelled as specifically for the cooper, cooper convertible, cooper s, and cooper s convertible. do i really need to get the ones for the cooper s, or are all MINI floors the same?

thanks!
If it's the same set of e-bay listings I've been following, I believe the seller is actually part of the parts department at Schomp MINI in Denver. Check the e-mail address for questions to the seller. I'm bidding on a rubber mat for the boot. They also list "take off" wheel/tire sets from time to time.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I hate the look of rubber...yuck! Here in Florida I don't have to worrk about them getting dirty. The carpet is thick and solid, they don't slide around (velcro mounts on the bottom) and match the rest of the car perfectly. Rubbers look like you got them at walmart - blech! Oh yeah - it takes 2 seconds ot shake them off or wipe them with the vacuum, whoopdie do.

I can see them not working for anyone unfortunate enough to live where there is crappy weather like slush though.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Strife
2nd Gear
Yours have velcro mounts on the bottom?

I should check mine.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:42 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by etak
hmm, i like the look of the rubber ones better, and i bet they are easier to clean than the carpet ones, but i see your point. thanks for the info.
she doesn't like them because they "show" the dirt immediately. Just step in the car, especially if wet outside and you got instant dirt. Once it dries, it stays dirty.

OTOH, if you got carpeted mats, they may be dirty, but you won't see it immediately. I think thats the point

Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
And truth be told, you can also hose and scrub carpeted mats on occasion if you need to. . .I've had to do that in my Pilot after ski trips and whatnot - they end up looking pretty much brand new when you're done.

I just soak 'em real good with the hose, spray on some standard household carpet cleaner, scrub with a soft bristle brush, rinse well, hang for a day or so to dry, and voila! Clean mats.

Wouldn't recommend doing this more than necessary as I'm sure you're doing some damage to the carpet adhesive that holds the fibers in, but for a once or twice a year thing, you should be fine.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Laurie
2nd Gear
I really like the look of the rubber mats also. I purchased a set of rubber mats for the front, rear and boot from E-bay. They did come from Schomp in Denver. With the auction price + shipping I still payed less than I would have if I bought them from my local dealer with tax.

I just took delivery of my MINI on Monday so I haven't had a chance to really use the mats. I can see that they will show the dirt alot more easily, but I think clean up will be a lot easier than the carpeted mats I have owned in the past on other cars.

That is just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:39 PM
rigidjunkie
6th Gear
I got a free set when i picked up my car. Of course they gave me S mats and I have a MC, at least one part of my car is faster

Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Strife

I should check mine.
Yes. They have round pads at the rear corners, and have self taping screws with round pads that thread into the floor when they are installed.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by Strife

I should check mine.
As do the rubber mats! (except it is a sticky tape velcro that attaches to the mat - same self-tapping part for the carpet floor.

....not that they're even necessary. I didn't use them and the mats simply don't move unless I pick them up.

It is possible that whoever put your mats in your car didn't take the time (about 30 seconds per side) to install the velcro mounts. They come in a plastic baggy with the mats.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:23 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
I lived in Florida for a year, and must say I prefer my "crappy" northern weather to the excessive heat and humidity (and bugs the size of Buicks) of Florida. One person's crappy weather is another's pleasure.

Rubber matts look dirty, but are easy to clean. Carpeted matts look clean, but are really dirty and very hard to clean. So do you want to look clean or be clean?

I chose rubber matts. They were in the car when I picked it up (no charge - very nice touch by my dealer). I can see how some people would prefer carpet. I probably would get carpet if I was in an area where my shoes are normally not very dirty. Otherwise, I think rubber is better.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by classpro
Rubber matts look dirty, but are easy to clean. Carpeted matts look clean, but are really dirty and very hard to clean. So do you want to look clean or be clean?
Thats not the issue. The issue is that you "immediately" see they are dirty and, being "fastidious" (is that a word?) about it ... wants to clean them immediately (which is not always possible). Therefore she is reminded that they are dirty.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Suzannne
4th Gear
I have no idea why, but often I drive with my shoes off if they are easily removable..it just feels better to me, and when I first felt the carpet floormats, I really enjoyed the feel of them on my feet. Weird, I know.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Well, let me add my bit to it...

The rubber mats "give" a bit - they are not flat cheap pieces! Plus, they are "styled" in such a way that, IMHO, they do not look like mats form Walmart.... that being said, they do get dirty, but I figure they will survive! I got mine because I've heard they will hold up a bit better in the winter, and hold a bit of water. And the gray mats look pretty cool.

John

Old 09-01-2005, 11:40 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other MINI OEM rubber mats, the "large circles" style that are standard for the rest of the world outside the US. I believe that the flat style rubber mats offered in the US are exclusive to MINIUSA. The circles mats are available from Canadian NAM sponser coopersport.ca: http://coopersport.ca/product.php?productid=16236

Old 09-02-2005, 05:16 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Those look like the floor of a car from the 70's. Ew.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Tit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other MINI OEM rubber mats, the "large circles" style that are standard for the rest of the world outside the US. I believe that the flat style rubber mats offered in the US are exclusive to MINIUSA. The circles mats are available from Canadian NAM sponser coopersport.ca: http://coopersport.ca/product.php?productid=16236

These are the mats I have in my car. I have a cordoba interior....and the carpet mats would look filthy instantly if I actually used them.

When I wash the car, I take the mats out and wash them as well (seperate sponge, don't worry!)...and then let them dry (takes about 5 minutes).....

I personally think they look good and are easy to clean. If you have spills or wet shoes, they are ideal as you can just wipe them down...

Old 09-02-2005, 11:11 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
What car from the 70's ever had a floor like that?!?

Originally Posted by kaelaria
Those look like the floor of a car from the 70's. Ew.

Quick Reply: floor mat question