1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For cabrio owners...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 AM
tahoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For cabrio owners...

As I await delivery, I had a question for those of you who already have a cabrio. To lock or not to lock when you park it?

I realize this sounds like a dumb question, but the old philosophy was never lock a convertible (with the top up) because you didn't want someone to cut your top to get into the car. This is not my first convertible, but the ones I've previously owned were classics which I drove only on weekends and did not leave unattended for very long. Most of the time I only drove them on nice days, so I left the top down. I will be commuting in my MCC and it will sit for hours unattended. So, do you lock yours? Have you had any problems?

Old 09-01-2005, 11:06 AM
racoman
2nd Gear
Always lock it.....keeps an honest person honest

Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our history with rag tops sounds like yours....in our Classics, we never locked them - the top was always down except when parked at home and nothing was ever left in it to steal....however, times have changed....

To answer your question, I lock mine all the time - in my driveway, in a parking lot, whatever....and.....I don't leave it unattended with the top down either....even if I'm just quickly stopping at a store. But that's just me. I don't trust any lookie loos to keep their mits out of my car and you never know when some flying object in the sky might decide to drop it's load whilst flying over...

Donna

Old 09-01-2005, 11:16 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Also, on the off chance that you DO get broken into, it's a lot easier to prove to your insurance company that you had the car locked if you have a 2' slice in your top. . .

Imagine your adjuster asking about your stolen G-meter, radar detector, portable DVD, iPod, whatever. . .and you're like, "Well, it was on the dash and I had the car unlocked. . ."

I agree - all my old (70's or so) ragtops were either top-down or unlocked all the time - real easy to slit a single-layer top and unlock the old pup-up door locks. . .but my newer convertibles stay closed and locked whenever possible.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:16 AM
LAMINI
Banned
Alarm

there is a an alarm system that locks it for you as well as put the top up....I know it does not answer your question, but saves you time when you go somewhere and have to wait until all the windows come up and the top closes....

Old 09-01-2005, 12:01 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see the difference between a vert and coupe in this regard. I've had windows smashed to get my coupe doors open. No WAY do I leave a car unlocked - why invite trouble?

Old 09-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
I always lock mine, and I have 0 deductible on comprehensive in case someone does decide to take a slice.

-Sarah

Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I've driven convertibles for 10 years now. With the top up I usually lock it. Top down, what's the point. I live in a relatively crime free area of St Louis so often I do leave the top down for a quick trip to the grocery store or coffee shop. If someone wants something out of your car, they will get into it regardless of whether it's a hardtop or convertible. But having the top up & locked will make it more challenging.

Lois

Old 09-01-2005, 04:31 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by kaelaria
I don't see the difference between a vert and coupe in this regard. I've had windows smashed to get my coupe doors open. No WAY do I leave a car unlocked - why invite trouble?
I'm not condoning it, but wouldn't that example actually be more of an argument to leave the doors unlocked?

Old 09-01-2005, 05:47 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Absolutely not, because there are MANY more people that would do something if tempted, for such an easy target. By putting up simple boundries, it cuts WAY down on the potential problems.

And yes of course I agree, top down parking - what's the point, that's not what this is about.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:20 AM
loesches
I miss the autobahn!
I always keep my locked and the top up when unattended. When I am just running in for something quick or paying for gas or something, I will lock it with the top down and valuables locked in the golve box.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:50 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
Isn't the problem with zero deductible on comprehensive that they will raise your rates if you make a claim? Better to have big deductibles and bear some of your own risk, I think.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by classpro
Isn't the problem with zero deductible on comprehensive that they will raise your rates if you make a claim? Better to have big deductibles and bear some of your own risk, I think.
Not with the plan I have. The only way my rates will go up is if I make a collision claim. Just a short time ago I made a comprehensive claim, not a penny rised on my plan.

I guess you have to check and see what your insurance company will do, each one is different, after all.

-Sarah

Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Top is down only when I'm either in it or in close visual proximity. Otherwise it's locked w/top up. You can never be too careful MiniMac2005

Old 09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
miss_molly
1st Gear
I keep Molly locked up all the time. I very rarely keep her top down when I am not around. Only in my driveway (when I am gonna leave again real soon). I guess mostly my issue is, aside from things disapearing, I guess I am avoiding bird poop (there are a lot of crows around where I am and at work ! Karen

Old 09-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Call
4th Gear
Top always up when parked and doors locked...except if I know I'm only going to be a short time then I make sure all the windows are up and the doors locked. if they are going to get something they have to jump in from the back and that isn't quick. They can not reach over the windows to get to anything in my MINI...at least easily.