1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those in SF Bay Area ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no reason to order a car through any of the SF area dealers. You are either gouged with an extortionate mark up or forced to wait 6 months or more, and there is absolutely nothing gained. Buy out of state - you can have your car in 8-10 weeks and get it for MSRP including shipping. Also, far lower labor rates on accessory installs and no sales tax on accessories (e.g. JCW). Only downside is about an hour of your time to get it smogged and registered.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minims
You're right -- I stand corrected. A car imported into California must pass smog check upon initial registration. After initial certification, however, a 2002 or later model year car that's California certified is exempt from the biennial smog check requirement until it's six years old. MINIs meet this requirement since all MINIs sold in the U.S. are sold as California Certified cars. If you tamper with the smog control equipment, of course, all bets are off!

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdff...smog_check.pdf
It looks like it is a new vehicle so it is six years. I stand corrected. It's only the intial registration.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:31 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XAlfa
There is no reason to order a car through any of the SF area dealers. You are either gouged with an extortionate mark up or forced to wait 6 months or more, and there is absolutely nothing gained. Buy out of state - you can have your car in 8-10 weeks and get it for MSRP including shipping. Also, far lower labor rates on accessory installs and no sales tax on accessories (e.g. JCW). Only downside is about an hour of your time to get it smogged and registered.
They include it with shipping now at MSRP? When I was looking it was $700 plus to ship here.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by meanboy
They include it with shipping now at MSRP? When I was looking it was $700 plus to ship here.
I got mine Tuesday for MSRP INCLUDING shipping to my door. But that was because I bought it in July. Due to the rise in gas prices, Mini of Pittsburgh no longer offers free shipping.

Old 09-08-2005, 03:55 PM
iwantonetoo
1st Gear
I'm not in the same area as you but have some of the same issues...

I think that Mini of Pittsburgh was the only dealership offering free shipping. I was going to order through them but balked at the thought of my car being shipped thousands of miles in late October/early November on an open truck. I originally ordered through Rasmussen in Portland but the wait there was 8 months. The wait at Mini of Tacoma (Seattle area) was over 12 months. I finally re-ordered through Mini of Murray in Utah on August 26th for MSRP and supposedly got their last slot for September production. The MA said I should be able to take delivery in 8 weeks. They charge a $375 prep fee (on the high side) but it's close enough (834 miles) that I can drive it home myself. That's one road trip I'm really looking forward to!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by iwantonetoo

I think that Mini of Pittsburgh was the only dealership offering free shipping. I was going to order through them but balked at the thought of my car being shipped thousands of miles in late October/early November on an open truck. I originally ordered through Rasmussen in Portland but the wait there was 8 months. The wait at Mini of Tacoma (Seattle area) was over 12 months. I finally re-ordered through Mini of Murray in Utah on August 26th for MSRP and supposedly got their last slot for September production. The MA said I should be able to take delivery in 8 weeks. They charge a $375 prep fee (on the high side) but it's close enough (834 miles) that I can drive it home myself. That's one road trip I'm really looking forward to!
$375 does seem pretty high! Mini of Pittsburgh only charged me MSRP + a $51 doc fee and a $5 for a 30 day plate for a grand total of $56!!!

That said, you'll have a blast driving it. The MCS is a "kick in the ***" to drive!

Old 09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by meanboy
Everything is negotiable.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 PM
jonnaro
1st Gear
I ended up ordering mine from South Bay MINI in southern california. I ordered around aug 7, and it's currently scheduled to finish production on sept 18. pretty quick if you ask me, and absolutely no markup. i'm just planning on flying down when she's ready and driving back up here...

Old 09-15-2005, 08:39 AM
ohui2001
1st Gear
Hi,

I ordered form MOM also, and suppose to take delivery by end of this month. Who is your MA ? We deal with Debbie Linge there.

BTW, did you negotiate for any freebies ? $375 dealer doc/prep fee is rather high (although they charge MSRP)... I am expecting to have at least the MCS floor mat. What do you think ?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by iwantonetoo

Old 01-01-2006, 12:36 PM
mnxmini
1st Gear
Hi all, a soon to be Cooper owner here in the SF Bay Area. We'll be picking it up from South Bay Mini in Torrance/LA in the Spring. Look forward to keeping everyone posted on the progress of our order.

Many thanks to Jonnaro and am0eba for all their help answering my questions.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
My BIL just received his MC (about a 4 month wait) from South Bay MINI.

I ordered my March Build '05 MSC in Early Feb of '05 and was Motoring home from MINI of Murray in Salt Lake City, UT, in late April. Buying out of state was a wonderful experience, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

FWIW, the folks at East Bay MINI are very respectful and nice, but you have to wait a year for an MCS. About 6-8 months for a Cooper.