1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi from the land of beer and fries with mayo

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi from the land of beer and fries with mayo

Well i've been wandering around this forum a couple of months now.
I guess it's time to post something in here too :smile:

Hi, the names Morty and for those who don't know me yet I'm from Belgium. Yeah people from accross the pond actually read all this here hehe.

Mostly passing my time playing mod on other MINI related sites and driving my Pure Silver Cooper since april 2002, with 80000kms now and still smiling

Hope to make it to the US in the following years to participate in one of those great events

Greetz

Old 09-09-2005, 04:06 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
Welcome morty! When I first saw mayo I thought "CANADA!" I didn't know that fries and mayo was popular in Belgium too. Cool! Cheers to you from the middle of the pacific. I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii.

--pyratio

Originally Posted by Morty

Hi, the names Morty and for those who don't know me yet I'm from Belgium. Yeah people from accross the pond actually read all this here hehe.

Mostly passing my time playing mod on other MINI related sites and driving my Pure Silver Cooper since april 2002, with 80000kms now and still smiling

Hope to make it to the US in the following years to participate in one of those great events

Greetz

Old 09-09-2005, 04:16 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Thanks

WHAT !!! Canada

OMG ...

Belgium is famous for it's fries (and mayo) we practically invented that
Don't believe that ******** of French Fries... Belgian Fries were first !! LOL

Old 09-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Bwana Yak
1st Gear
Hey, there's folks down here in the States that like mayo on their fries, too. Some of us have good taste (and intelligence) down here, but I can't speak for the majority.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:50 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
I do believe that we would be hard pressed to find a meal like this in the US...

Old 09-09-2005, 05:58 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Hehe ... searched our gallery's hey

That's called "steppegras" it's like fries but very thin sliced. It's a speciality in the northern part of Belgium, next to the border with Holland.

That's just too HUGE .... but then again, it's an adventure on itself because you have to find your meat beneath that pile LOL

BTW: Hi Cooper ... hows u mate

Old 09-09-2005, 06:07 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
BTW: Hi Cooper ... hows u mate
Hungry and thirsty now...happens every time I look at those pictures...

Old 09-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Morty
1st Gear
LOL

Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Welcome, Morty! For anyone who has not been through Belgium with a local, I can attest to the quality and variety of the beer. The fries (frites) are great, too; I still eat them with mayo. I spent two weeks there when I was 16- a time in my life when my brain focused on two primary areas (beer and sex). Well, maybe two and a half, as I went to Spa for a 24 hour race. I had my best luck with the beer. If you like the flavorful and potent Belgian style beers, try Hoegarden for a lighter, white beer and Brewery Ommegang's (Cooperstown, NY) selections. I'm not talking about the other area of focus on this forum, but buy me some good beer at an event and I will fill your ear.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:50 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Well, I thought 'Germany' when I saw the title - I used to do the fries and mayo thing over there, but here in the States, the fries AND the mayo taste different - not nearly as good, and over the last 10 years or so I've drifted back to ketchup on my fries.

Still miss all the varieties of great beer, though.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Yeah we're lucky with that ... great beers here
The guys who came to INMM all enjoyed are Belgian pride, and Clare the chocolates

Old 09-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Djtyrone
1st Gear
Yup..Mayo and Friend are Beligic...thats for sure...
I remember when i was in Liege when i was 16 to visit my Grandparents..
I remember this one Spa i went at the Boarder of Holland and Belgium...It was a half Nudess Spa/ Half clothed spa....It was kinda wierd..but funky...
I was 16 and damn nervous when i went to the Naked Half...

My brother in law is actually from antwerp!
He lives here now!

Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hiya Morty! And glad to see you here...

This thread is definitely making me hungry and thirsty now. I can't say I've EVER had fries with mayo - I'm a Catsup gal myself - but looks like I've been missing out on something...:smile:

Donna

Old 09-09-2005, 01:33 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Welcome Morty! :smile:

Ok, I think your message title should have been:

"Hi from the land of Spa Francorchamps, the best racing track in the world".

Just my .02 Kim

Old 09-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Mmmm, beer!

Welcome Morty, hoe gaat het met je? Awesome country. Don't forget the chocolate! Leonidas may be poor man's chocolate there, but to this American, they're great!

Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Cecil Davis
2nd Gear
Mini's - Mayo & Fries

Greetz
Morty,

I'm just down the road (Autobahn) from you. . . here in Heidelberg, Germany. I'm an American working for our government and I just ordered a 2006 Mini "S", w/JCW options (all of them) ! It should be delivered by the end of October 2005. I can hardly wait too.

Now, for the fries and Mayo thing. . . I'll have to agree with you ! It's good. I love fries with Mayo. . . never tried it until I came to Germany many years ago, but everywhere I travel in Europe it seems to be pretty popular and it's good too .

When you get a chance how about posting some stats on your Mini and maybe a pic or two. I'm sorry, I won't be able to return the favor until around the end of October.

Well, welcome to NAM and enjoy your Mini, Fries and Mayo :smile: !

Later,

Cecil
Heidelberg, Germany

Old 09-09-2005, 07:12 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Hi Morty,

Welcome on-board, I was born in Minden Germany, spent the first 8 years of my life in Europe, then came back to US . Love Belgium, and actually been in Antwerp 4 years ago, during our Euro Tour. Cool country .
I have a question, I heard that there is very strict laws against modding in Belgium, is it true?

Old 09-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ariercetinberk
I have a question, I heard that there is very strict laws against modding in Belgium, is it true?
Indeed

We have strict laws regarding modding, although some can be bend.

If you've read GO MINI there was an edition with 2 Belgians, whom I know pretty good. They explained a few things too.

For most mods we need official certification papers. There are a lot from which we don't need any but still a few examples:
- Rear clear lights aren't "allowed" without having red reflectors on the rear bumper or booth. That I think you have in several countries
- For like exhausts an EU certification is demanded (TUV is not sufficient). But I know a lot of people who have non-EU certification exhausts under their MINI's. (Playmini, Magnaflow,...)
Mostly it ain't giving us troubles, but sometimes police or at a checkup they can complain.
- Lowering springs, only certain vendors are approved by Belgian law (KW, Koni, Weitec, Eibach) and we need a conformity attest from them. Also with that an official attest of installation from an approved installer. (garage, tyrecentral...)
If you have fully adjustable lowering they demand at least 9cm ground clearance, although most of us hang lower

And a few things more. Mostly police doesn't complain but it could be that you get a red card instead of a green one, when you get back from the obliged car checkup after your car had passed its 4th year.

One thing that ain't allowed and I think that's real sad, are the bumper side reflectors you guys have on your cars. (front and rear bumper inserts on the side) I really want those

Old 09-10-2005, 05:50 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cecil Davis
When you get a chance how about posting some stats on your Mini and maybe a pic or two. I'm sorry, I won't be able to return the favor until around the end of October.
Well let's see, what can I say

Pure Silver Cooper - March 2002 build
Leather interior + sportseats
Manual airconditioning
Chrome rings and add-ons
Sport Suspension ++
Cooper S Sideskirts and 'S' Fuel cap
MINI Drivinglights
White sidemarkers - Rear lights with white sidemarkers
17" S Spoke with Yokohama 205 45 R17 tyres
Lowered with Weitec Springs
Remus exhaust
K&N replacement Airfilter
Brembo brake discs with EBC Greenstuff pads
OMP upper and lower strutbrace
MTH Tuner remap
ICE: Kenwood HU, PG speakers and Subwoofer install in booth

Mmm I'll check if I haven't forgotten anything

Old 09-10-2005, 08:04 AM
classpro
2nd Gear
Catsup sucks. Yuk. Much prefer home-made mayo or aioli (or just plain salt). You can't taste the potatoes when you smother them with catsup. All you taste is the catsup. Has anyone tried Peter Lugar's steak sauce? Really good in lieu of catsup for just about anything.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:30 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Morty!

I work with Cecil and have also just placed an order for a pure silver 06. It is due late October early November. Like Cecil, I love mayo with my fries and well Germany and beer, need I say more?

Hey, we all may have to make a road trip in the future. It would be a Mini Meeting!

Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
I guess with proper documentation you should be able to transform your Mini to a space shuttle there is always a way around it

Indeed

We have strict laws regarding modding, although some can be bend.

If you've read GO MINI there was an edition with 2 Belgians, whom I know pretty good. They explained a few things too.

For most mods we need official certification papers. There are a lot from which we don't need any but still a few examples:
- Rear clear lights aren't "allowed" without having red reflectors on the rear bumper or booth. That I think you have in several countries
- For like exhausts an EU certification is demanded (TUV is not sufficient). But I know a lot of people who have non-EU certification exhausts under their MINI's. (Playmini, Magnaflow,...)
Mostly it ain't giving us troubles, but sometimes police or at a checkup they can complain.
- Lowering springs, only certain vendors are approved by Belgian law (KW, Koni, Weitec, Eibach) and we need a conformity attest from them. Also with that an official attest of installation from an approved installer. (garage, tyrecentral...)
If you have fully adjustable lowering they demand at least 9cm ground clearance, although most of us hang lower

And a few things more. Mostly police doesn't complain but it could be that you get a red card instead of a green one, when you get back from the obliged car checkup after your car had passed its 4th year.

One thing that ain't allowed and I think that's real sad, are the bumper side reflectors you guys have on your cars. (front and rear bumper inserts on the side) I really want those

Old 09-10-2005, 07:18 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angenam Morty,

I used to live in Antwerpen, great city. Welcome to NAM. Hope you are in Spa-Francorchamp today, there will be a great racer later on.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Nice car. Interesting about the strict regulations for modding. In California the highway patrol seems to be moving in that direction.

I don't know about fries and mayo (I am allergic to mayo) but I love the way mussels are prepared in Belgium. Best I have ever eaten. Haven't had much time to pass through lately, but I am definitely looking for alternatives to CDG airport (it's just too big and service and food are so-so) next time I am in the EU for work.

Very best wishes to MINIs in Europe.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Angenam Morty,

I used to live in Antwerpen, great city. Welcome to NAM. Hope you are in Spa-Francorchamp today, there will be a great racer later on.
Unfortunately I'm not , but will try to follow it on TV :smile: