1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my Mini in Albuquerque, suggestions on drive back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Lerzard
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up my Mini in Albuquerque, suggestions on drive back?

Hi All!
New here to NAM, figured you all might be able to help me out.

Well, it all started after I took the test drive: I live up here in Denver where there is currently a 6-8 month wait for a Mini... OK, um, NO! So I ordered from Sandia and my baby S (one of the last of the Liquid Yellows) is currently on the high seas, partying down with all the other newbies en route to the U.S. Should be at Sandia the beginning of October.

The plan is to fly down on a Thursday night or Friday morning and begin the drive back home. What I'm hoping to get help with is suggestions on the best (defined as twisty, fun and crazy) way to get back to the Denver area by 6 PM that following Sunday.

I've never been to N.M. so I have no ideas as to what I should see, where I should go, what I should eat, etc. So I'm open to all suggestions, thoughts, comments, wise cracks, etc.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to keeping the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

L

Old 09-11-2005, 04:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lerzard

I've never been to N.M. so I have no ideas as to what I should see, where I should go, what I should eat, etc. So I'm open to all suggestions, thoughts, comments, wise cracks, etc.
Your from CO so you might have already been there but Mesa Verde and Great Sands Dune NM were Awesome

WELCOME to the MINI world. You are going to have FUN!

Old 09-11-2005, 04:53 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, Lerzard! The drive home from Albuquerque will be a fun one! I love the drive from ALB to Denver (or wherever) up there in CO! Beautiful scenery! You may want to go to Santa Fe or Taos for lunch/dinner. GREAT FOOD!!!!! Take your digicam and be sure to have plenty of memory in it!

Clover

Old 09-11-2005, 04:56 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
If you're in Albuquerque, try to stop by Golden Crown Panaderia (just north of downtown) for some biscochitos...traditional New Mexico cookies. I prefer original...has a touch of anise. Yummy stuff...and they ship if you happen to get addicted. Featured on the Food Channel.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:57 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
I agree with chows4us about the ancient settlements. They are not only visually stunning but a treat for all the senses. For example, Mesa Verde is tucked into a cliff so is acoustically unique. It's so quiet there.

If you are into contemporary thrills you might try Roswell. A friend of mine is curator of the only serious art museum there but she admits folks in town are more keen on their UFO museum.

Touring NM before returning to Denver might consume your entire break-in period. Drive safe. Have fun.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:11 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Freshest guacamole ever? Try Gabriel's just north of Santa Fe. They make fresh guacamole at your table...quite a treat. You will like it!!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
I lived in Albuquerque for 14 years... If you are near the downtown area, there is a place near old town called Anitas.
They make the best SW mexican dishes... Try a burrito with the fresh green chili... just awesome...
As for the roads... there are many ways to get back to Denver. I used to do it all the time when I went to school out there. You can go the way of the mountains... if not, I-25 takes you thru lots of great scenery.. especially by the raton pass... You can't go wrong... get a map, so many choices...
Beware that your new mini will not feel so peppy.. you will be at high altitudes most of the time... But then living in CO, you are already used to that by now...
Enjoy

Old 09-11-2005, 07:45 PM
nerd
2nd Gear
If your not in a hurry take this route. You'll have to look on a map but here it is. Albuquerque to Chama, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Silverton, Montrose and then you'll hit I-70.

I do the Wolfcreek (Pagosa Springs) a lot in the winter and it's nice. Durango and Silverton are cool towns as well as Montrose. All of those will bring you through some nice mountains. If you have the time it would be a lot cooler the I-25.

Brad

Old 09-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
First of all, Welcome Aboard to the NAM community.....great info. and people.

Second, my suggestion for your ride home is to have muscle relaxers waiting for you when you get home. You'll need them as your face will be hurting from what we call "Perma Grin"...

Have a blast.......and don't forget we want to see pictures....:smile:

Donna

Old 09-12-2005, 05:39 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would definitely go through Santa Fe on your way home. Quaint artsy town, and take the road up to the ski resort. 15 miles or so of ever rising switchbacks to the peak, quite a contrast to the high desert surrounding it. I would also second going through Pagosa Springs, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, and up to I70 to the north. You probably know this being from Denver, but avoid coming in on I70 from the west on Sunday afternoons, horrible traffic.