1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member in Goleta, CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Wafin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member in Goleta, CA

Hi,
Don't think I've formally said hi yet so here I am. I've read the forums and posted a few questions in the Detailing section as I'm now becoming an avid fan of keeping that new car look.

I'm located in the little city of Goleta, which is near Santa Barbara, and I'm noticing quite a few more mini coopers around my area. So, I'm hoping to meet a few of you here and maybe we can chat over a cup of coffee at the local coffee house.

I decided to purchase a mini cooper after my mother in law got her blue and white top mini in 2003. I loved driving it around and thought it was the neatest little car on the road. Then it came time for me to replace my Camary and I found a beautiful Silk Green/Black top mini at a local used car dealership. So, I'm not a brand new owner but more of a second owner who is babying this car like it is a brand new one.

Now if we could open a repair shop up here in Santa Barbara area then I wouldn't have to drive almost 2 hours to get service on the little guy.
But to me, it's worth it just to have a Mini.

As an extra side note here, I'm wondering if anybody can help teach me how to use a rotary polisher on my Mini, sorry still deciding on a name for the car, maybe Taygo. I've also got some other detailing questions that I'd like to ask somebody in the area on what they may do. I've been unable to find anybody in my area that may do a weekend class on detailing so I'm always checking back here for advice.

Anways, hi to all you and I have to say, it's quite a sight to see me, my wife, and 2 little girls motoring around town in my Mini. So if you see my car around town, be sure to wave to me, because I'll be waving to you.

Matthew

Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!! Great you have you and you've found an awesome site here...lots of info.... People will envy you in that pretty Silk Green as they don't make it anymore.....

Don't forget to check out the Southern California forum here for things going on in the area.... See you around....:smile:

Donna

Old 09-13-2005, 10:44 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Welcome!

Goleta isn't that far--ok it's far, but not undrivable to one of our c3 clinics held in Culver City. There I can show you how to use all the detailing tools.

Silk Green is a great color! Kinda funny a good friend of mine also has a Silk Green but white top, and his name is Matthew as well.

You can see one of our past clinics here:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=4774

I don't work for Meguiars, but I have several friends that do, and I'm trained by them, so I know a fair amount.

Check out this MINI Loaner car that I detailed yesterday
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...603#post644603

Check out this thread for a Saturn that I detailed this past weekend
http://www.c3club.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=254

You can also check out www.meguiarsonline.com for any help related questions!

Richard
Originally Posted by Wafin
Hi,
Don't think I've formally said hi yet so here I am. I've read the forums and posted a few questions in the Detailing section as I'm now becoming an avid fan of keeping that new car look.

I'm located in the little city of Goleta, which is near Santa Barbara, and I'm noticing quite a few more mini coopers around my area. So, I'm hoping to meet a few of you here and maybe we can chat over a cup of coffee at the local coffee house.

I decided to purchase a mini cooper after my mother in law got her blue and white top mini in 2003. I loved driving it around and thought it was the neatest little car on the road. Then it came time for me to replace my Camary and I found a beautiful Silk Green/Black top mini at a local used car dealership. So, I'm not a brand new owner but more of a second owner who is babying this car like it is a brand new one.

Now if we could open a repair shop up here in Santa Barbara area then I wouldn't have to drive almost 2 hours to get service on the little guy.
But to me, it's worth it just to have a Mini.

As an extra side note here, I'm wondering if anybody can help teach me how to use a rotary polisher on my Mini, sorry still deciding on a name for the car, maybe Taygo. I've also got some other detailing questions that I'd like to ask somebody in the area on what they may do. I've been unable to find anybody in my area that may do a weekend class on detailing so I'm always checking back here for advice.

Anways, hi to all you and I have to say, it's quite a sight to see me, my wife, and 2 little girls motoring around town in my Mini. So if you see my car around town, be sure to wave to me, because I'll be waving to you.

Matthew

Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Wafin
1st Gear
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome.

I didn't even know about the Southern California forum. Great, another way to eat up my time at work.

I'll do a map quest and see if I can plan a "family vacation" to get to the next detailing clinic.

BTW, I'm currently using Zaino products except that I'm trying different stuff on the black top to get rid of the slight swirl marks. Tried the NXT and now I was told about the black turtle wax. So, I may give it a try soon unless I find something horrible about it in the forums.

CYA around!
Matthew

Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
New service facility opening soon in w. vta county

watch for the opening of central coast coopers in western ventura county soon!!

Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 PM
OctaneGuy
Note we get people coming from all parts for our clinics including Ventura, Simi Valley, and Corona.

As far as Zaino, Turtle wax, Meguiars--it's all the same. I mean, we all have our own preferences for protection and amount of shine, but in the end, it's all about which makes our cars look the best, and you'll be happy with any of them. Well personally, I would stay away from Turtle Wax, but Meguiar's or Zaino.

It comes down to technique--how you apply the products, and which products will work best in a given situation. To remove swirls, you'll want a fine swirl remover. Using a PC with a professional cleaner like M80 or M83 will both polish your paint and remove swirls, where you can then apply a protective wax on top.

A typical orbital buffer won't remove swirls though, you need some powerful, multispeed, and focused like a Porter Cable. I wouldn't even attempt to use a rotary if you've never used one before. They are fast, powerful tools, capable of doing lots of damage. I like using both though.

Visit us at http://c3club.org We currently don't have another clinic planned, but will soon.

Richard

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome.

I didn't even know about the Southern California forum. Great, another way to eat up my time at work.

I'll do a map quest and see if I can plan a "family vacation" to get to the next detailing clinic.

BTW, I'm currently using Zaino products except that I'm trying different stuff on the black top to get rid of the slight swirl marks. Tried the NXT and now I was told about the black turtle wax. So, I may give it a try soon unless I find something horrible about it in the forums.

CYA around!
Matthew

Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Hello, welcome on-board

Old 09-13-2005, 05:25 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gau-CHO!

hey, I used to live in Goleta. I just moved back to Orange County in June. (And as you may have already guessed, yes, I was in the area for school)

Nice area. I kinda miss it. I really like the 101 between Oxnard and Carpenteria and then between the Bacara and where it cuts inland past Refugio. Beautiful terrain. And Goleta beach... The scenery makes it toally worth the 2-3 days worth of tar-stained socks. And yes, I am referring to the female scenery. Last time I was there, there was a gorgeous blond, right around 5'9, in an emerald green bikini that I just couldn't keep my eyes off of.

If it wasn't so dang expensive to live up there, and if there were more than a handful of good science jobs, I probably would have stayed. But it's still a really nice weekend getaway. And I'll probably have a gaucho pep band member's couch in IV to crash on for the rest of my life, supposing I'll be able to fit my tuba in my mini.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 AM
Wafin
1st Gear
Sweet! A service facilitiy in Ventura is well worth it!

Also, thanks for the advice on the polishing tools. I'll probably wait to see if I can get to a clinic of yours. Until then, I'll live with the "spider webbing" and use lots of elbow grease. I'm with you on the whole turtle wax but, I've tried the products from Zaino and Meguiars and haven't had any luck with the problem disappearing. Probably time to post something in the detailing section.

As for the gaucho pep band member, nice to see another musician. In fact, I work at the Bacara, so I make that drive every day and get to enjoy the scenery quite a bit. So far I'm still the only person with a Mini at work but there's another girl who's trying to get a black and white one. But I'm hoping to keep my shinier than hers.

CYA'll around.
Matthew

Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 AM
OctaneGuy
If you want to get swirls out with some off the shelf products from Meguiar's, get some ScratchX. You squirt it on a small area, and rub it with a foam applicator pad like mad--20 passes or more--in a crosshatch pattern. Wipe it off, repeat 4 or 5 more times. Then check the area, the swirls will be gone.

Don't just wipe it on, let it dry, wipe it off, it doesn't work that way. ColorX is the only other off the shelf product that will remove swirls too, but not as effective as ScratchX and believe me, that already requires a lot of effort. But since you're just doing your roof, you might give it a try--or just wait as you said.

Richard

Also, thanks for the advice on the polishing tools. I'll probably wait to see if I can get to a clinic of yours. Until then, I'll live with the "spider webbing" and use lots of elbow grease. I'm with you on the whole turtle wax but, I've tried the products from Zaino and Meguiars and haven't had any luck with the problem disappearing. Probably time to post something in the detailing section.

CYA'll around.
Matthew

Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Bacara? cool.

One of my roommates from the year before last works there. He was a temp in the gym area back then. I think he's in PR now. You might know him. His name's Bryan. I ended up meeting a few of the other people that work there, too. Maybe we've partied together.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:00 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Welcome aboard Wafin!

You not only live in one of the most beautiful towns in the US, but located at 440 Rutherford in Goleta is Moss Motors, home of much aftermarket goodness for your new MC.

http://www.mossmini.com/

I've used Moss for more than twentyfive years: MGs, Miatas and my MCS all have parts from there.