1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To mod or not to mod...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:38 AM
mini_in_md
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To mod or not to mod...

Ok, so as i read the articles and come up with new ways to modify my new MCS05, i always get the subtle message looming in the background saying things like "wait til' you're out of warranty" or "you don't know what you're doing". Granted that I'm not the most experienced mechanic so the idea of swapping pulleys isn't on the top of my list. But is there mod out there that would be more than just aesthetically pleasing than pls. suggest as i am eager to learn more about my car. suggestions?

Old 09-15-2005, 11:46 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
I could only hold myself for 5 months before the first mod. It really depends what you are really up to. If you are into performance mods, it might be a lot confusing. You have a brand new car and gotta be careful what mods you will line up. I started with exterior mods, got an aero grill, now the aero kit on the way, and then put an ALTA intake which makes a big difference. After I install the aero kit, it is going to be the exhaust. As you see I am following a very innocent path, which will keep my Mini SAs happy and my car under warranty. Or, you can save some money and get the JCW kit, which I worship, testdrove one the orher day, smooth power delivery, and not worry about anything.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Berk

Old 09-15-2005, 12:07 PM
minimort
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ariercetinberk
Or, you can save some money and get the JCW kit
Not to rain on the parade (not trying to make it a JCW vs. Aftermarket thread, we've had enough of those), but how is the JCW kit saving $?

Old 09-15-2005, 12:12 PM
nolimit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimort
Not to rain on the parade (not trying to make it a JCW vs. Aftermarket thread, we've had enough of those), but how is the JCW kit saving #?
I would say it is more about peace of mind, IE having factory warranty.
If anything was a factory defect then it would be coverd, then that would be money saved.
Cheers
Shawn

Old 09-15-2005, 12:12 PM
nodabs
1st Gear
Not to rain on the parade (not trying to make it a JCW vs. Aftermarket thread, we've had enough of those), but how is the JCW kit saving $?
I think he meant "save up your money" and buy a JCW kit.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
minimort
5th Gear
I've got it. makes a bit more sense now!

Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I have had my 02 MCS over 3 years now and I installled a CAI only weeks after I got it. Not the hottest performance mod, but I have never heard of one person have warranty problems when they have one. Another is an exaust system. More performance, but never heard of a problem from anyone.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Yep, that is what I meant.

I've got it. makes a bit more sense now!

Old 09-16-2005, 07:28 AM
mini_in_md
1st Gear
interesting feedback. maybe what I'll start out with after the warranty runs out will be the upgrading the air intake. That seems fairly easy on the list. Then possibly upgrade the suspension.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:03 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Obviously modifications are a very personal choice, but I would say for the most "bang for your buck," for improved engine performance go with an Alta 15% supercharger pulley (on its own, or combined with an Alta intake, you can realize substantial gains -- and tuners like Webb Motorsports have seen no reliability issues at all with this combo after over 600 pulley installs). For improved handling, start with a rear sway bar (of which there are several good choices)...

Old 09-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Tahoe T
2nd Gear
rambling thoughts on mods

Originally Posted by mini_in_md
interesting feedback. maybe what I'll start out with after the warranty runs out will be the upgrading the air intake. That seems fairly easy on the list. Then possibly upgrade the suspension.
I was reading this thread with interest because I got my 05MCS last week and had been planning mods since I ordered it several months ago. I had planned to get lighter wheels and tires, pulley, brakes, etc... I have put 1k miles on my mini in the last week with the drive home from the dealer and taking out every night to get familar with handling, gearbox, burn miles toward the 1250 break-in, etc...... and maybe it is the last 15 years driving trucks of one sort or the other as daily drivers, or that my british car experience is limited to old sprites with little motors, skinny tires and no swaybars, but the MCS has shown me that I can wait quite awhile before I out grow the stock performance. On the mountian roads I have been driving, the MCS is plenty fast (even under 4500rpm) and handles like a dream. Being a newbie myself I don't know much about what will give you warranty trouble, but my first performance mod will be some better brake pads, and maybe tires, I doubt the brake pads will cause warranty trouble and I expect will make a big difference . We will see if I change my mind after I get a chance to go deeper into the revs. Only 250 miles to go.