1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini Enthusiast #178,344

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Steeroidz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Enthusiast #178,344

Guess it's appropriate to introduce myself on this site, so here goes my story with how I'm turning into a big Mini fan

I've had the same truck for over 10 years now. It's a '93 Dodge Dakota X-Cab, V8, Auto, with the Blue w/ white racing stripes Viper GTS look to it. It's a quick truck, best 1/4 time was like 14.859 @ 90-something. But time has taken it's toll on it, and my lack of taking care of it too well makes it look a tad worn, but still not too bad.

Anyway, with lots of motivation from my mom, I finally started looking around for a new car, as I definitely didn't want a truck again. My criteria was it needed to be a smaller car, not a big land-yacht. It needed to be sporty, handle well, and be fairly quick, as I'm used to having a decent amount of power. My experiences with trying to go fast in FWD cars in the past had been poor. Mainly with a rented '05 Chevy Malibu Maxx with the V6. Getting on thing hard produced really annoying Torque Steer, and I just assumed all FWD's were like this. So I also wanted a RWD car, since that was what I was used to (and being able to hang the rear end out on command via throttle is fun too ).

Knowing my specifics, my friends told me my two options were either a Mazda MX-5 (Miata), or a Mini Cooper. I had always thought Mini's were RWD, so was disappointed to find out they were FWD, at first (with the assumptions that all FWD's have horrible torque steer). So one day I took my friends along and test drove an '05 MCS, 6spd.

Bah, I'm making this too long, LOL, anyway..... I test drove the Miata too, and the Mini was faster with 2 more people in the car (all 4 seats taken up), so I fell in love with the Mini, and I ordered one about 2 weeks later.

I've got an '06 MCS DS/DS, LSD, Sport Package, Chrono Pack, etc, on the way. Mainly going for performance/handling (can't really afforid the JCW packages right now anyway, even though I'm sure I'd be happier with them), and I've skipped most of the visual accessories, and conveniences that I feel I'll be plenty happy without =)

So anyway, I ordered it from Downtown Mini of Orlando, and I should get it I believe in the 2nd or 3rd week of November, and I can't wait. I'm 28 yrs old, and this will be my first new car ever. I really think I'm gonna have a tough time actually obeying the break-in rules, though I think I'll do my best to stay disciplined, though I know it'll be extremely hard! =)

I've read over this site for the past week or so, and think it's super that such a Message Board exists. Seems everybody is in love with their Mini's. I feel like the little Bee girl from the Blind Melon video "No Rain" that finds all the other Bee's at the end of the video =) hehe

Old 09-22-2005, 12:19 PM
jdmarino
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buzzzzz

Welcome to the MINIholics support group.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Turmoil
2nd Gear
Welcome to the NAM! You have made the right choice! Post pics when you get it

Old 09-23-2005, 04:42 PM
TrippleBeem
3rd Gear
You will soon notice the lack of torque steer on the Mini, that is due to the awesome fact that the Mini has Equal Length Drive Shafts, a feature that is very rare on FWD cars... the only other current car that i know that has them is the SRT-4 Neon...

ELDS are just one of the many little features that makes the Mini such a good value....

Ryan

Old 09-23-2005, 04:50 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Ah, DS/DS. You have chosen well. Might I suggest some DS aero skirts? I am very happy with the look on my DS/DS. They balance out the side profile very nicely.

You should definitely consider adding some JCW crap, which would qualify you for membership on Team Craptastic. We await your application.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:39 PM
TrippleBeem
3rd Gear
Haha, I love this Team Craptastic movement!!

Rock On

Ryan

Old 09-23-2005, 10:42 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by TrippleBeem
Haha, I love this Team Craptastic movement!!

Rock On

Ryan
That would be crap on, my friend.