1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie here with a couple of questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 AM
simpsoap
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
newbie here with a couple of questions....

hi guys! from what i can see looks like this is an awesome forum with tons and tons of information. well I am looking to get a MCS, just haven't decided on brand new 2006 or used 04 or 05. Besides this, I wanted to ask you guys what you think about products that really up the horsepower compared to the JCW kits? I mean, I know the JCW keeps the car under warranty, but does that really matter? Have there been lots of issues with using parts from Turner Motorsports or Mini Mania?

Also, is it worth it to invest in the Harman Kardon stereo or go aftermarket? Moreso, if I am willing to spend $400-600 on a HU, and a couple of hundred on each set of speakers, what would be more beneficial?

Thanks guys!

Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 AM
smcfamily
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are loaded questions, and it can create a heated debate, about the performance options. My belief is that you can beat the JCW performance safely by going the aftermarket route, and save enough money for big repairs later in case something goes wrong.

The track record for making the easy mods to get the car to over 200 hp (15% pulley, air intake, and exhaust) is very good, with few or no issues. More on this can be found in the performance mods section of the forum. This is the route I took on my 2003 MCS, and I have been very pleased. In fact, I'll do the same with my 2006 MCSc as soon as it gets here!

However, there are some who really like the benefits of the MINI-certified JCW package, and it gives them peace of mind about the warranty. I think its overpriced, and I really enjoyed doing the work.

But that's just one opinion...I'm sure others will have one too! Search the drivetrain performance mods forum to get more on this topic.

Similarly with the HK head unit, I think it is fine for most people (it is for me). But if you are a real, hardcore audiophyle, then you may think that it is not adequate. Search the audio forum on this one, since it has been debated and discussed there.

Overall, I'm getting my second MINI, and I've never had a car that is more fun. No, the car is not perfect, and it has some quirks, but the fun factor far outweighs any problems.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Turmoil
2nd Gear
I would agree that the JCW is overpriced and you can easily get better performance for less money elsewhere. I, however, am one of those people that need the peace of mind and am more likley to go with either JCW or Dinan.

The good thing about Dinan is that you can do performance upgrades in steps vs JCW having to do the full pop at once.

As far as the HK system, I suggest you go to your local mini dealer and sit in one with it and play music. Make your decission then.

I had a $3000 Diamond Audio system in my old Audi TT and I think the stock HK system in the Mini sounds just as good... a little less bass but damn close.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:26 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turmoil
I would agree that the JCW is overpriced and you can easily get better performance for less money elsewhere. I, however, am one of those people that need the peace of mind and am more likley to go with either JCW or Dinan.
If you're in California, or in a state that has opted in to California's auto emission standards, the JCW will also give you peace of mind when it comes time for a smog check. The JCW kit is CARB-certified while most other engine mods are not.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
With opinions aplenty about JCW and audio systems (of which I know nothing) I will try presenting a notion about which year MINI to buy.

From NAM I have learned that folks believe there is a big difference between the 2004 and the 2005 model in terms of perceived performance (more aggressive gearing and exhaust?) and that the new cars seem better screwed together than previous ones. And there does not seem to be a performance difference between 2005 and 2006. So you might want to consider 2005 for performance and build quality over 2004 and 2006 for build quality over 2005.

It is known that MINIs have high resale value so you might be better off buying a 2006. But it is surprising how many 2005s have been offered for sale right here on NAM and one would think a NAMmer would take good care of the car. So you might get a good deal on a 2005 MINI after all.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:05 AM
drewffff
2nd Gear
re: new 2006 or used 2004 or 2005

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but here in KY we have dealers selling (or attempting to sell) USED 2005 minis for $1000-$3000 OVER new list price. For the difference in money (or lack thereof) you might as well get a new one and order it just the way you want and not have to "buy" unwanted accessories.

drewffff

Old 09-23-2005, 08:19 AM
simpsoap
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
great information

guys thanks for all the great information, I think I am going to be ordering a new MINI, i spoke with the dealer yesterday and they were great and said about 10 weeks to wait. Not bad, and it would be like an early christmas present as for the stereo and performance - I think I'll go listen to a HK this weekend and i'll take my chances modding the car myself. My current car is almost stripped of aftermarket parts and back to stock - once this is done the deal is final :smile:

Old 09-23-2005, 08:39 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With regard to Turner, I wasn't aware that they actually produced parts, but they are regarded very highly in the Boston area, so I'd recommend them if you're local and looking to have any performance parts installed. They've done an exhaust and short shift kit for me, and both experiences were great.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:59 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
I was debating about the HK myself and then I finally got a chance to listen to it. I thought it was good enough for the money, plus I wanted to keep the steering wheel controls for the radio. I normally put in my own stuff, but the when the dealer told me you can scroll through your iPod(with the adapter) using the steering wheel controls, that sealed the deal.