1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to unlurk

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time to unlurk

Hello all,

My names Chuck & I'm a closet MINI fancier. As much as I've tried to resist the temptation of that little tin top siren, it sunk it's hooks in me deep. All it took was a 300 mile drive in in a friends 2004 Cooper S through the S.E. Ohio twisties & I was a goner. Try as I might I couldn't stop lusting after a Cooper S. Even my trusty Miata wouldn't do it for me any more. Only one thing I could do......I ordered a 2006 Cooper S today!!!! Man I'm as happy as a kid on Christmas eve. Except this kid has to wait 5 weeks for Santa.

Here's what I ordered....

2006 Cooper S
HB/W roof & mirrors
Silver-Grey Black leatherette
Antracite dash
Convnience package
Cold weather package
Cockpit crono package*
Multi-Function steering wheel
Limited slip Differential
Fog lights
Xenon headlights
Rear fog lamp
Chrome grille

*The crono package was a compromise to my long suffering wife. She absolutly hated the central speedo. I kind of like it, but sometimes compromise is best.

Now a couple of questions for you good people.

Does anyone know how to install the chrome grille? It's a dealer installed accessory & I'd like to save the $$$ to use for gas. I'd have bought the factory installed chrome pacage except I didn't want the chrome mirror caps. Picky eh?

What do you think of the xenon lights as opposed to the regular lights? I want good lighting, but is it worth the extra $$$?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Chuck

Old 09-24-2005, 06:16 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
I'd have bought the factory installed chrome pacage except I didn't want the chrome mirror caps. Picky eh?

What do you think of the xenon lights as opposed to the regular lights? I want good lighting, but is it worth the extra $$$?
WELCOME! You will love your new car.

As to these two questions
  1. The mirror caps can be easily replaced. They just pop off and you can replace with anything you want. I hated the chrome mirror caps and just replaced them.
  2. Xenon rules. Worth every penny of it. Some people, who may just do city driving, may not think they are worth the money but if you secondary roads and night and can't have your highs on, you will not be disappointed

Old 09-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife did the same thing

made me order the chrono package due to her dislike of the speedo location.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Paragon
1st Gear
Nice specs. You wil enjoy. Mine is currently at the disctibution center

I'm almost kickin myself for not getting the LSD but figure the saved money will for either an Ipod or the 3M film. Not like I really need the LSD. No racing here.
I went for the Xenons as well since I am tired of having inferior headlamps ('96 Sable) and would have gotten the driving lights but they only go on when you use the brights. I hardly use the brights on my current car.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:16 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Congrats on getting hooked, and congrats on placing your order.....sounds nice!! If you really want a good lighting package, you'll like the Xenons I'm sure. Good call on the chrono package compromise.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Congrats on your order - great color choice... Welcome to NAM - glad you finally stopped lurking - LOL!!! You'll love the Xenons....

Donna

Old 09-24-2005, 10:09 PM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Zman
made me order the chrono package due to her dislike of the speedo location.
I'm just going to drop my .02 in here... with the chrono package you will have a speedo next to the tach on the steering wheel but that wheel only has 20 mph degradations. meaning you will be guessing your mph almost all the time. If you get the chrono (or nav) you don't get what I think is the most useful little hidden feature. In the little screen on the tach (only if you don't have chrono or nav) you will have the option of the outdoor temp, OBC info (if ordered) or Digital Speedometer. Basically she will have the option of putting it on digital speedo and can completely ignore the big dash speedo... I was going to get the chrono for sure and have been toiling with getting nav, but that shitty little speedo next to the tach is turning me off a whole lot.

edit: also you could save $300 (or $100 if you still want OBC) to put towards another highly suggested option like anthracite headliner, or DSC!

Old 09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: Welcome to NAM, Crashton! Great specs! I've had two MINIs; one with, and one without Xenons. I really love the Xenons!! I don't see well at night and they really help. Also, if you do rural/mountain roadtrips, you will enjoy the illumination of the wildlife that the Xenons provides along the roadsides!

Tell wifey that the central speedo is classic to rallye cars and very easy to see from the driver's seat. I love my central speedo. I got an after-market Navigation system (Garmin 2610) and enjoy that I can take it into the house to plot trips and get information!

Clover

Old 09-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Thanks for all the replies & info.

I may not be a racer, but I was a racer/rally driver long ago so the LSD seems so sweet to me. On the racer/rally car I welded the diff!! Who knows, maybe I'll do a track day or two.

As far as lighting goes I've always had good lights on my cars, even if it meant mounting a set of driving lamps on the front bumper. There may be a set in my MINI's future. Thanks for setting my mind at ease on the xenons.

Now as far as the crono package goes that's the one thing that I really don't want to spend $300 on. Now that I know that a digital speed readout can be used in the tach maybe I can convince my wife that would be ok & stick with the central speedo. Telling her that's the way the rally cars were is a stroke of genious. I met her at a rally in 1980 & she's navigated for me ever since.

Another question for you all.....

I went to MINI.com & put my production number in. It says my car is an astro black 2006 MCS??? Mine is to be HB/W. My MA said he would be using a car that was already alocated to the dealer & that would speed up the deliver prosses. My guess is that that is the astro black car & he has yet to change the spec to mine. I'll call him on Monday & find out for sure, but until then I'll be a bit of a worrier. Does this sound right to you???

Thanks again,

Chuck

Old 09-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Call
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome the the insane world of MINIville. Just a thought...if your wife has to have the chrono, just buy her a MINI and you get a MINI your way. Lots of two MINI homes around here

Old 09-25-2005, 07:04 AM
RedDaisy
1st Gear
Hey welcome to NAM, as far as the OL showing the wrong info, same thing happened with mine and my MA said that in a few days it will be updated to show your order. Don't worry the system in the OL takes about 48 hours to update. If you are still worried call 866-Ask-Mini, and be sure to put it on your speed dial because you will be calling it a lot. Ask Mini has the most up to date info and they can tell you what exactly process your car is in i.e. paint shop. So have fun and soon we will all be motoring.

Old 09-25-2005, 08:26 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
just tell her to take a good look at this little speedo and she can decide how much she wants to use it.

Old 09-25-2005, 09:06 AM
minilites
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the brother-sisterhood enjoy

Old 09-25-2005, 09:28 AM
HMC
2nd Gear
Chuck,

5 weeks is not too bad...hang in there.

You've done well on your order!
Xenon is a great safety feature...that's hoe I justified spending the $. Ever since I drove a Lexus with Xenon (or HID?) I wanted the best lighting possible. It may help us avoid a deer on a dark road one day and save our butt.

I like the Chrono pack.

Pete

Old 09-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Well folks I had a nice dinner with my wife & we had a heart to heart about the crono vs the central speedo. Long story short, I'm getting the central speedo!!! I think the crono is fine, but just not my cup o tea. The money saved will be spent on my wonderful wife.

RedDaisy, thanks for confirming my suspisions about the OL. I'll be talking to my MA tomorrow to delete the crono pack. I've put the 866-Ask-MINI number in the phone.

Chuck

Old 09-26-2005, 08:31 AM
jdmarino
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The waitin' is the hardest part. -- Tom Petty

Originally Posted by Crashton
Man I'm as happy as a kid on Christmas eve. Except this kid has to wait 5 weeks for Santa.
I ordered mine the day before Labor Day. MAN it's tough. :impatient

But we at NAM offer a place to console yourself while you wait.

Last edited by jdmarino; 09-26-2005 at 08:36 AM. Reason: more thoughts