1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCW delays?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:06 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JCW delays?

I ordered my '06 with factory JCW package back in August with the understanding that they would not be built until the first of October. My original promised build week was 40, the first of October. I didn't pester the dealer or ASK-MINI until a few weeks ago when I was told my production week was now Week 42, October 17. I chalked that off to maybe not hearing my dealer correctly or a last minute factory delay. I called again today and ASK-MINI is now telling me Week 45, November 7. Their only explanation was that there has been "greater demand" for the package than first anticipated. Now if my dealer had submitted lots of orders for JCW's I wouldn't be surprised but they had told me they had only submitted two including mine. I called the dealer and the MA is going to do some checking because the "system" is telling him that both his JCW orders are pushed back. I'm not happy with this. The Mini will be my second car so it's not urgent, but I'm not very patient to begin with. I entered into the agreement with a pretty firm idea of when I would have the car, now it's been delayed twice, that doesn't bode well for me. Anyone else having similar issues?

Old 09-27-2005, 03:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Their only explanation was that there has been "greater demand" for the package than first anticipated.
I can't help you but that's interesting. Perhaps because its just a box you check off now, more people are opting for the JCW option

Old 09-27-2005, 05:37 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Some early MCS buyers who had to wait over a year (until June 2003) before the dealer installed JCW Kit was available

Old 09-28-2005, 07:18 AM
neorants
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not alone. See my post from the other day. I also sent the info to Gabe of MotoringFile, hoping for some investigative journalism regarding the delays, but had no luck. :(

Old 09-28-2005, 07:47 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I just got off the phone with the sales manager at my dealer. He is getting no response or explanation from Mini as to the delays of the JCW package. He is checking now to see if he can get me an "immediate" slot for my MCS without the package. I know there is endless debate about the merits of the JCW. I felt it was a decent, if not cheap solution to added performance but I realize there are lots of proponents of aftermarket modding or no modding at all. My biggest concern is that Mini could just keep delaying the package, and suddenly my November car becomes January, February, or beyond. He told me my original slot was actually Week 39, then delayed to 42, then delayed again to 45, all without mine or his knowledge or consent. If he can get me in production in the next couple of weeks without JCW, I think I'm going to take that.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:22 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Change of plans. I have often heard Aka Demesa from Mini of the Woodlands's name mentioned here favorably, and he came through for me today. I decided I could do without the JCW package given the uncertainty surrounding it, and he was able to get me a new production slot for immediate build. Gave me a new production number and said it should go into production this week or next. New specs will be RG/RG, spacecloth, Sport pack, LSD, auto AC, multifunction wheel, rear fog, anthracite headliner, HK. I hope I don't regret not waiting but now I will have an extra $5800 to spend.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:50 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Delays?

After reading some posts in the week 42 production thread, I contacted my MA. She just got back to me, stating, "I have been watching your
order faithfully, and at one point it did show a November production date.
But then it jumped back to October so I didn't panic. As of today, it
currently shows a production date of Week 42, and it is in a 112 status
which means it is very close to production and I won't be able to make
changes. Week 42 is October 17-23. If it is built at this time, it would
arrive mid-November."

The wait continues........

Paul

2003 MCS BRG/BRG, 1967 Austin Cooper S, 1968 Morris Mini Traveller (Woody)

Old 09-28-2005, 01:51 PM
jsound
2nd Gear
I ordered my JCW equipped MCS on the 18th of September, 2005 and have yet to hear when my car is to be scheduled. It's stuck "on order" on both ASK-MINI and the Owner's Lounge.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I'd order a MCS and then order the JCW seperately from the dealer. Get through the break in period and enjoy until the kit arrives. I'm leaning more and more that way all the time.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Hyper Skip
2nd Gear
Delayed too

I ordered a hyper blue Checkmate with JCW. I was originally told I would be in the October production. I placed an order in the begining of August. I spoke to my MA yesterday after reading some posts and was told I would be in week 45 production 2nd week November. My MA did not know of a delay. It looks like either BMW/MINI is having problems with the install or supply demand. I am going to stay with my original order though cause I want the JCW package. My wife would never let me spend our money on after market performance because of warranty issues as well as me appearing to be a 38 year old boy racer.

Besides I plan on keeping the car like most of my past cars for at least 10 years.

It just another month. I hope?

Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyper Skip
My wife would never let me spend our money on after market performance because of warranty issues as well as me appearing to be a 38 year old boy racer.
You need to work on that. Whats wrong with a 38 year old boy racer? I wish I was 38

Old 09-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by neorants
You're not alone. See my post from the other day. I also sent the info to Gabe of MotoringFile, hoping for some investigative journalism regarding the delays, but had no luck. :(
I asked a few people but haven't gotten any answers yet.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:31 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paulsminis
After reading some posts in the week 42 production thread, I contacted my MA. She just got back to me, stating, "I have been watching your
order faithfully, and at one point it did show a November production date.
But then it jumped back to October so I didn't panic. As of today, it
currently shows a production date of Week 42, and it is in a 112 status
which means it is very close to production and I won't be able to make
changes. Week 42 is October 17-23. If it is built at this time, it would
arrive mid-November."

The wait continues........

Paul

2003 MCS BRG/BRG, 1967 Austin Cooper S, 1968 Morris Mini Traveller (Woody)
I hope for your sake she's right, but it goes against all the anecdotal evidence floating around. The biggest factor that made me give up is the fact that this is actually the 2nd delay in my order, I just didn't really know about the first one. I just don't want my car to halfway through the model year before I even get to see it.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:18 AM
stevekim
Neutral
Gabe - Thanks for checking in on this. I do hope your sources have some info that they can share. I'm a soon (?) to be owner who keeps checking my production status every day. I've been holding a produciotn number that has no attached production date for a month now, and it's torture!

Old 09-29-2005, 12:03 PM
neorants
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe
I asked a few people but haven't gotten any answers yet.
Gabe,

Thanks for the response! By the way, I thought it was funny that all the folks at my dealeship knew you. I had done a ton of pre-purchase research about the MINI, much of it at your site, so I knew things the dealers hadn't yet received confirmation on regarding the JCW package. Talking to the manager later, he commented that "Bridger" knows about stuff before they do. Apparently, your scoopage is a source of some frustration for dealers, who feel like the last to know sometimes.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by neorants
Gabe,

Talking to the manager later, he commented that "Bridger" knows about stuff before they do. Apparently, your scoopage is a source of some frustration for dealers, who feel like the last to know sometimes.
I heard his scoopage consists of a dark room, a candle and a Ouji board....

Old 09-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
I heard his scoopage consists of a dark room, a candle and a Ouji board....
I've heard he doesn't even exist

Old 09-30-2005, 11:54 AM
paulsminis
4th Gear
JCW Production slippage

Gabe and Neorants, and the rest of the thread,

When I got home from work today, I found that my SMA had e-mailed me that: "I am writing with sad news - I have confirmed from my regional rep., that all cars equipped with JCW will be pushed to November production. As of today, your order number is the same but with a build date of week 44, which is Nov. 1-6. Ugggghhhhhhh."

Gabe, that might give you something to work with. For the rest of the thread denizens, it is perhaps more confirmation of the slippage. For me, well, if JCW production is slipping to November and my car is sched for week 44, I will take solace in the fact that it is at least in the earliest part of November possible.

My SMA wanted to know if I still wanted to stick with the order. I did not hesitate one second to tell her, Heck, Yes, I ordered the car I wanted, and I will wait for it, rather than take something less than I wanted.

Waiting.....

Paul

Old 09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I hope I don't regret not waiting but now I will have an extra $5800 to spend.
Spend it n MODS

earl

Old 09-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Gabe
6th Gear

When I got home from work today, I found that my SMA had e-mailed me that: "I am writing with sad news - I have confirmed from my regional rep., that all cars equipped with JCW will be pushed to November production. As of today, your order number is the same but with a build date of week 44, which is Nov. 1-6. Ugggghhhhhhh."

Gabe, that might give you something to work with. For the rest of the thread denizens, it is perhaps more confirmation of the slippage. For me, well, if JCW production is slipping to November and my car is sched for week 44, I will take solace in the fact that it is at least in the earliest part of November possible.

My SMA wanted to know if I still wanted to stick with the order. I did not hesitate one second to tell her, Heck, Yes, I ordered the car I wanted, and I will wait for it, rather than take something less than I wanted.

Waiting.....

Paul
Thanks for the heads up Paul. I'll post a blurb on MF about it and try to find out more info.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
JCW Production slippage

Originally Posted by Gabe
Thanks for the heads up Paul. I'll post a blurb on MF about it and try to find out more info.
My hero.... Gabe!

Old 09-30-2005, 02:03 PM
neorants
1st Gear

Thanks for the confirmation. At least that gives me hope of moving up a single week from the last time I checked. Appreciate the legwork on this one -- my dealer hadn't gotten back to me with anything from the regional rep yet.