1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the board...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 AM
runningman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the board...

Having recently been bitten by the MINI bug I am seriously looking into buying a MINI in the coming months....

These questions probably get asked by most new to the board but I take it this forum is for newbies so...

MINI Cooper vs MCS?

I have read everything on line and in print I can find, I have a friend and neighbor who has the S and loves it...

I don't really need a performance car per se, just looking for a fun car for my daily commute and occasional trips with the Mrs... we have a big family but was also have a minivan for the crew

Are people with the MINI Cooper satisfied with the performance?? Wish you had sprung for the S?? Is there really that much difference in performance for a daily commuter?? Despite all the research I would really like to hear from people who have bought the Cooper vs the S and if they are happy with the choice..

Second question I think I already know the answer to, I consider myself to be reasonably adept at haggling for price on new cars, is there much if any haggle room with a new MINI? Everything I have read here and elsewhere leads me to believe I will be paying MSRP if not a premium...is that necessarily the case?? If I order a MINI through a dealer will I then be paying the "official" MINI MSRP as found on MINI.com or should I expect a premium there as well??

Thanks in advance for any and all help.....I look forward to motoring with many of you in the (hopefully) not too distant future...

Old 10-04-2005, 11:26 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
My first time behind the wheel of a MINI was in a '05 MCSC with full JCW packages. Talk about a baptism by fire! Ride was a little stiff and I didn't care for the drop top.

Next drive was a '03 MC with standard suspension. Ride was better and the performance, while not as impresive, was satisfying.

I ordered a '06 MC with chili and sport pack. As far as I am concerned unless you actively compete in SCCA AutoX or need something to compensate for there is no need for a MCS.

OK now for the "Bad" news. With a MINI you pay MSRP, or you pay MSRP plus ADP. West coast dealers routinely pack in $5K worth of Additional Dealer Profit. Taxes, Local Fees, Plates, and Registration will vary from area to area. Avoid such dealers that demand ADP like you would avoid the blast from a nuclear bomb. I purchased my MINI from Richard at Dryer and Reinbold Paid MSRP +local taxes/ fees. I don't feel that I got ripped off.

Occasionally you hear urban legends of people getting MINIs for MSRP including all fees. But this is more difficult to find than a virgin in a delivery room (not counting the baby or sibblings).

What you should do with your negociation skills is to see what freebies that the dealer gives you. EX: Floor Mats, Clear Bra, Glove box organizer, European Parcel tray... Just to name a few examples

Old 10-04-2005, 11:32 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted an S, but did NOT test drive one before buying my MC. I thought smart I love my cooper. It wasn't til i owned it a month that i had the chance to drive a friend's S, and although i LOVED it, and it was the color i died for, i love my cooper.

love it love it love it.

It's an 04, and i've already got 29,070 miles on it. I drive anywhere from 60-80 (daily commute) if not over 100 miles a day (after work playtime). It handles awesome, and it's one of the most fun cars i've been in. It has it's own kind of pep, and it gets great gas mileage.

Not sure how much you'll be marked up, if you are, over MSRP... but sticking with a cooper, you'll be paying less than an S anyhow

Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Another consideration

A fully loaded MC will cost more than a stripped MCS. A MCS cost is simmilar to that of the MCC, and top of the List is the MCSC

One more thing.

I had a trade. I took my Stratus to CarMAX and sold it there for a fare price. Couldn't get a fare trade value at the dealer. CarMAX had two 2003 MCers in stock. One had 40,000 miles and they wanted $19,000 the other had 21,000 and they asked $19,550. They asked if I was interested in their cars. [They ddin't know jack squat about MINI's, couldn't tell me if it had sport packs or not] I told them that I could get a 2006 MINI Cooper for $20,750 that had ZERO miles and I could pick the color! I got my check and proceeded directly down the road to Dryer and Reinbold and purchased my 2006!

Old 10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
runningman
3rd Gear
Thanks for the input Dr D and SB, I am leaning towards the Cooper, plan to take a test drive in a week or so. I have seen the same thing around where I am, used MINI's listing for prices at or above what I see new MINI's going for on the dealer websites.....