1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible worries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 02:19 PM
TCroly
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible worries?

Aloha All,

Tom from Maui, Hawaii here. My wife and I have been enjoying our 2002 yellow MC for 4 years now and we are thinking about ordering a 2006 convertible. We have always been convertible people having owned more than a dozen in the past. However, it would appear from reading these forums and other message boards online, that everyone who has a convertible is experiencing premature top wear. In our 20 years of convertible ownership, including 3 different BMW cabrios, we have never had excessive top wear and have never needed to replace a convertible top.

So could any happy convertible owners put my fears at bay by posting that they are not seeing any unusual or excessive wear on their convertible tops? I recognize that a few very vocal people on the internet can make a small issue seem like a bigger one than it really is, but I am hesitant to place an order for a new convertible if there is no one who has found the top to be trouble free. It also appears that of the many who have had their tops replaced under warranty that their top wear problems persist. Has anyone had top wear and then had their top replaced to find that the wear problems have been solved?

Tom

Old 10-08-2005, 05:14 PM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
I have an '05 MCS convertable that I've had for a little over 9 months and am starting to see a little wear where the main support folds. It's not real obvious, however, I may look into seeing if warranty covers replacement or a fix. It's just a slight discoloration, about the size of a silver dollar and sort of disappears when I rub it with my hand. I'm not really getting too upset over it though. I rarely have the top up.:smile:

I've heard that '06 models have had a correction done to prevent this, but am not certain.

I love my Mini more than any other vehicle I've ever owned and have had no other problems yet. I'd just LOVE to drive it in Hawaii---what a beautiful place to motor topless.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:26 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
I have an 06 and the top has been up and down about 30 times in the last week.:smile: No signs of wear or the scratches on the rear windows at all.

I was the first 2006 build ordered from my dealer, and the first one at the VDC. BUT my MINI did not arrive at the dealer until the third truck load. The speculation at the dealer was that the VDC was doing the new adjustments to the top stops that are believed to prevent the wear problem.

We will see, but I have to tell you... this is such an AWESOME car that I would gladly deal with the wear issue (assuming they figure it out and replace any worn tops eventually). The remote open of the top is incredible. I've owned other convertibles and this is the best system I've ever had.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:37 PM
TCroly
1st Gear
Mahalo for these quick replies. I an very encouraged to hear this. I agree that Maui is a great place to have a convertible. We gave up our BMW 325ic convertible to get the MINI and we though that the big double sunroof would take the place of the convertible, but there is nothing like diving with the top down!

Tom

Old 10-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've had our Cabrio 1 year this week. I am happy to report that we have NO top issues or window scratch issues (knocking on wood). I too have owned a rag top of some sort for over 20 years and never had to replace a top. But then again, I never kept one for more than 2 years either - LOL!!

I guess ours is one of the lucky ones because I've seen LOTS of postings about issues. Living in So Cal, the top goes up and down several times a day. But you can believe the moment I start seeing wear, the dealer will know about it.:smile:

Donna