1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Timer

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 02:32 PM
brunobmwrs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Timer

I drive an '02 S with the sports package. I have about 35K on the odometer and it still drives like brand new. I don't drive easy and I don't drive slow. I live in an area frequented by sport bikes because of the roads. One of my favorite past times is freaking them out by keeping up with them in the twisties. I've been on a couple of long solo treks. One of my favorites was a drive from Naples to Florida in, uh, well, record time. Obviously, one of my first accessories was a Valentine detector. Another great memory is from my trip home from Chicago when I stopped for coffee in Kentucky. A mini van full of family backed up on the four lane and into the parking lot where I stood next to 'Winston'. He came out of the van and just looked at the car, ignoring me and his protesting kids. Eventually, he asked me if he could sit in Winston. Of course, I said yes. He sat with his hands on the wheel, eyes straight ahead; lost in his moment of fantasy. While his kids screamed louder, I saw the tear form in his eye. It hit me what this car must mean to some people and I grew even more grateful for my decision to buy this wonderful machine.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM
CyBoMan
1st Gear
It's all relative.

I felt a tear of my own for the poor guy in the MINIvan. I guess all things are relative.
I can't help but think...
1. "gee these cars are so cheap" and yet to some they are so out of reach financially.
I also thought when I ordered my MINIs...
2. "with two kids we can all go for a ride together" not thinking that a guy with 4 kids has no hope unless perhaps he buys 2 MINIs like I did and now we are back to part one.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:06 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Brunobmwrs to NAM. Lovely story.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:36 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Welcome on-board, that is an emotional story. Poor guy, that is the reason, every morning I get into my car, I thank God that he blessed me for such wonderful things in life.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:45 PM
anteken
4th Gear
We are indeed lucky to be able to drive what we want as opposed to driving what we need.