1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test driving a MCS today../hydrolocking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 AM
GingersMom
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test driving a MCS today../hydrolocking?

Hello:

We're test driving a MCS today - anyone have any advice for a first-timer? I posted same yesterday but I think I did so in MINI talk..

I'm so excited at the prospect of getting a mini, but I am reading more and more about hydroclocking w/ the MINI. I understand that deep puddles should be avoided, but what about normal/heavy rain? Just don't want a car that can't be driven in less than stellar conditions.

Thoughts?

GingersMom

Old 10-10-2005, 08:40 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just where are you reading this? I've never heard of it being a common issue with MINI's. It is a good idea with any car to know where your air intake is and make double sure you never get into water that high (although in most cases, you shouldn't be in water that deep anyhow.)

Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
GingersMom, don't worry about it. A few cases have been mentioned here lately but in the total number of MINI's sold they account for way less than 1%. And everyone I've seen referenced was due to trying to turn a MINI into a submarine. I have had my MCS through heavy rain on many occasions without a single hiccup. Use common sense when it comes to trying to ford deep puddles and you'll be fine.

A_Sr.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
I remember reading about hydrolocking in a car magazine (I think it was Car and Driver.) In the magazine's long-term test, one of their drivers went through a huge puddle and destroyed the engine. However, the magazine chalked it up to driver error (The water was apparently deeper than the driver thought) and gave the mini a pretty positive review.

I dont really think the mini is any more or less prone to hydrolocking than any other car. If you plan on forging plenty of rivers, then maybe no car is for you; you might want to think about an SUV.

Enjoy the test drive.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 AM
eVal
6th Gear
From posts here and on Mini2 the issue seems to arise more with Coopers vs the MCS - likely related to where the intake is & design if it is more prone to water injestion. If you are concerned search around the forums and the web a bit and see how you feel about what you read - couldn't hurt to ask a mechanic who works on Minis as well.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:04 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
As a matter of fact, I love driving it under heavy rain, that should be your last concern, but a different question, we never had before.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:36 PM
GingersMom
Neutral
Thank you everyone...but the husband needs convincing :(

We took a test drive - I absolutely loved it. But the husband thinks it may be too rough a ride for him. Bummer.

I'll be back if I can convince him that we really need a MCS. Otherwise, I'll lurk and live vicariously through you all.

Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2005, 01:13 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Let's put it this way...we had a deluge in Maine over the weekend and I had no problem. Now granted if I saw a massive puddle I didn't continue driving along at high speed...

I think if common sense prevails and you slow down when conditions warrant it and also follow the guidlines in your owner's manual, you'll be just fine.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:18 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GingersMom
We took a test drive - I absolutely loved it. But the husband thinks it may be too rough a ride for him. Bummer.

I'll be back if I can convince him that we really need a MCS. Otherwise, I'll lurk and live vicariously through you all.

Thanks again!
For a sporty car, I think the ride is fine. The MCS comes with a sports suspension which is partly responsible for the go-cart handling. But with that handling, you have to make sacrifices with a rougher ride. Its not a luxury car after all.

If you are a two-car couple, as most people are, tell him it'll be your car, so he won't have to drive it. However, I suspect he'll do an about face eventually and borrow the MINI pretty frequently because it's such a fun little car.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The hydrolocking was reported in the long term test wrap up in the November issue of Road & Track magazine. Any car will hydrolock given deep enough water & enough speed. The person driving the car said he hit a foot deep puddle! Not just an average one. When water enters an engine it doesn't compress, the rods bend instead. It doesn't happen often & when it does your insurance will cover the damage. I don't believe the MINI is any more susceptable to it than any other car. Buy your MCS & enjoy the drive.

As far as the rough ride goes....did the MCS that you drove have 17 inch wheels? If so take hubby out for a ride in a MCS with a set of 16 inchers on it. It will ride just a bit better than the 17's do.

Chuck

Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
TooTall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GingersMom
Buy him one of those inflatable seat donuts like hemorroid sufferers use. He'll get the message and quit whining. :smile:

Old 10-10-2005, 04:03 PM
indimini
4th Gear
Ditching the runflats also will help soften up the ride. So, 16" and non-runflats may do the trick. However, if your husband then complains about having no spare tire and the expense of replacing the stock tires, trade him in for a lower maintenance model.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
Cooper S is better at treading water...

--Yeah the Mini Cooper has it's intake up front and low which is what caused a few owners to hyrdolock in some shallow road ponds.

HOWEVER! The MIni Cooper S has its intake in the back top on the drivers side. It is also blocked from below by a few engine components so I would say it is fairly safe against hydrolocking. Just don't go wading through any levys thinking it's a humvee with snorkel installed.

Oh and regarding tires and ride comfort, keep in the mind that these cars come stock with run-flat tires which ride harsh compared with standard radials. For most people who want a smoother ride, they replace their worn run-flats with standard radials and carry a tire patch kit like the one they sell on Tirerack.com. They've reported a much smoother ride and better performance too.

--pyratio

Originally Posted by Crashton
The hydrolocking was reported in the long term test wrap up in the November issue of Road & Track magazine. Any car will hydrolock given deep enough water & enough speed. The person driving the car said he hit a foot deep puddle! Not just an average one. When water enters an engine it doesn't compress, the rods bend instead. It doesn't happen often & when it does your insurance will cover the damage. I don't believe the MINI is any more susceptable to it than any other car. Buy your MCS & enjoy the drive.

As far as the rough ride goes....did the MCS that you drove have 17 inch wheels? If so take hubby out for a ride in a MCS with a set of 16 inchers on it. It will ride just a bit better than the 17's do.

Chuck

Old 10-10-2005, 06:10 PM
YYC
4th Gear
There's lots of exciting commentary on driving through "puddles" in this thread....

My MINI Almost Drowned

Warning!!! It's not always friendly banter in this one!! :smile:

Old 10-11-2005, 08:34 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
I'm more worried about this than some others are, given the number of reports of hydrolocking. I don't think any of us knows how common a problem this is. Also, the Mini's refusal to cover these issues under warranty gives additional reason for concern. I think it's pretty obvious that the mini is more susceptible to this problem than most cars. That said, it may be rare and it may be the result of user error. Still, it's an issue that I worry about when I drive in the rain.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
SashaSolitaire
3rd Gear
we just got our MCSa...

..and had to drive through torrential downpours and standing water for a considerable time.....nothing happened to the car.

Like the posters above mentioned, use common sense and keep away from potential trouble spots. If you think that the water is deeper than 4-6 inches, either drive around it or drive through it VERY slowly.

As for the choppy ride, don't worry....drive down to the nearest section of curvy roads...and give your hubby the wheel....Once you do that, he'll never say anything about the stiff ride!!!