1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Above and beyond Rain-X

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:56 PM
geotek
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Above and beyond Rain-X

My Mini is currently waiting trasportation across the pond. My dealer is offering a rather expensive windsheild treatment called Diamon-Fusion (~$550). Does anyone have any experience with this product, i'm wondering if it is worth the expense. The pamphlet they showed me at the dealership was less than informative so i'm looking for some firsthand experiences good or bad. Thanks

Old 10-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Found some info on the product: http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products.html

But $550???

Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
Found some info on the product: http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products.html

But $550???
That sounds outrageous unless they will guarantee your glass it if it chips for five years. That way you can get a new windshield every six months as the windshield on Minis seem to chip easily.

But if you wanted something better than Rain-X get some AquaPel off eBay. A great product that dealers also charge an arm and a leg for but is cheap if you get it yourself.

Rich

Old 10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
anteken
4th Gear
As a general rule that I live by, anything sold by the Dealer (especially this type of thing) is VASTLY overpriced and is used to jack up the price of the car. If you must have it, it can be bought cheaper on the open market. Considering the original windshielf could/might/will (your choice) chip and/or crack and should be replaced with a ppg windshield (approx $250), I recommend that if you must have this "treatment" (you do realize that Rain-X works great and only needs to be renews occasionally and costs next to nothing), wait until the w/s needs replacing to have it done (that way you only have to do it once).

Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Do PIAA wipers (http://piaa.com/WiperBlades/silicone.html) give the same effect as Rain-X?

Old 10-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Sounds like snake oil.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Do PIAA wipers (http://piaa.com/WiperBlades/silicone.html) give the same effect as Rain-X?
No, you have to turn your wipers on to get use out of the PIAA's.

I have the SillBlade silicone wipers which are warranteed for 5 years. However, they are really not anything special except that they have a good warranty. You still have to CLEAN your wipers to remove bugs and goo in order for them to work properly.

Next time, I will just buy a bunch of cheap wipers and replace them regularly. NEW wipers, even cheap ones, always work great.

Rain-X is good stuff if you keep on using it. I would NEVER pay over $500 for some silly treatment.

When I was working in a pharmaceutical research lab, we used a chemical called a "silane" which was used to make sure that drips did not stay inside the neck of long necked flasks. It chemically bonded with the silicon atoms of the glass and made a 1 molecule thick coating that repelled water. When the bottle of it was expired, I used it on the windshield of my VW GTI and it worked great!

However it was literally the MOST TOXIC substance I had ever worked with and cost $450 per liter. I basically wore a space suit while treating my windshield. . . .

Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Autologic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by geotek
My Mini is currently waiting trasportation across the pond. My dealer is offering a rather expensive windsheild treatment called Diamon-Fusion (~$550). Does anyone have any experience with this product, i'm wondering if it is worth the expense. The pamphlet they showed me at the dealership was less than informative so i'm looking for some firsthand experiences good or bad. Thanks
I have a 100 deducatlbe for glass. I would have to replace the windshield 6 times before this would be cheaper. Even if this glass does chip/crack easily 6 windshields is a lot to go through.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:20 AM
geotek
2nd Gear
follow up

thanks for some of the thoughts. I checked with one of the aftermarket windshield installers (Delaware) and they would charge me 500 for the glass and install which is why i was wondering about the Diamon-Fusion. The dealer said that the application would also help protect against rock chips which is why i was curious if anyone had used it before.

Anxious:
my mini is somewhere in the atlantic
anytime now, it will be mine (diabolical laugh)

Old 10-17-2005, 08:47 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Think about your winshield got chipped in the first year, your $500 spend on that stupid coating will be a total lost.. I think the OEM windshield is already good enough. When I am driving 40mph on hwy, I can see water bead and slip away.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
i have been using zymol car wash

and have noticed that the rain beads and runs off the windshield quite easily..i don;t even use the wipers just to show off. i have thought about rain x, just don't like adding solvents to a car exterior...

Originally Posted by geotek

Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zaino your glass... it has the same effect as the little servilet the piaa package gives you.. also, if you got piaa wipers, rainx wont work with them!