1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Wrencher
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member..

Greetings all,

I am actually not a Mini owner, but have taken on repairs to a 1974 Mini that belongs to one of my student employees. I actually specialize in MGB's, Corvettes and most other vintage Amenrican iron, but I've always had a soft spot for the original Mini. I'm looking forward to restoring it and this forum appears to be the place to share info.

Hans

Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
So it is technically yours by adoption?

Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Wrencher
Neutral
Yep!

That would be a good way to put it. It's a RH drive import with a 1275 that has quite a bit of aftermarket goo on it. The kid got it from a guy in Florida that apparently imports quite a few from GB. However, aside from a VERY nice top end (fully ported/polished head, premium rockers, springs, valves, header, and a monster SU) it looks well worn and stock on the bottom end. Dished pistons, significant ring ridge, broken timing chain follower, and a badly boogered up crank at the clutch end. It appears the clutch/flywheel assembly came loose and spun on the crank!

One thing that interests me about it is the label on the valve cover. It has an "EVANS 'A' series" plate attached on it, and an english flag painted on the other pad. It is missing the engine number tag, so that's a bit of a mistery.

I'll know more in the next week as I dis-assemble it further.

Hans

Old 10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I wonder if he has any LHD or if he can get any?

Old 10-18-2005, 01:38 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, Hans! Post pix of your little Mini!

Clover

Old 10-20-2005, 03:10 PM
anteken
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Wrencher
That would be a good way to put it. It's a RH drive import with a 1275 that has quite a bit of aftermarket goo on it. The kid got it from a guy in Florida that apparently imports quite a few from GB. However, aside from a VERY nice top end (fully ported/polished head, premium rockers, springs, valves, header, and a monster SU) it looks well worn and stock on the bottom end. Dished pistons, significant ring ridge, broken timing chain follower, and a badly boogered up crank at the clutch end. It appears the clutch/flywheel assembly came loose and spun on the crank!
Hans
In other words, a normal British car from the period. Sigh...I know, I've owned quite a few...

Enjoy(?)