1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change blues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
lescatch
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change blues

Where is everyone going for their oil changes? The nearest dealers are an hour and a half from my house and independents are charging an arm and a leg to change the oil. What are your solutions?

Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
36mm socket from Sears, Jug of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart, Genuine MINI filter from my local BMW mechanic friend.

Change the oil myself in the garage.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:39 PM
countrym
6th Gear
I change my own oil too.

If you're not up for that, I'd suggest that you find a BMW dealer, or a shop that specializes in BMW or high-end European makes. I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube or some other chain to thread the oil filter canister properly.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:41 PM
francisk
6th Gear
I would go to the dealer.. the cloest one is 1 hrs away. There is another one like 1.5 hrs away.. but they have Sat. service, that probably a good choice to me. Some local shop are scary, I won't let any local shop work on my MINI, unless they are dedicated MINI or BMW shop. Otherwise, I will work on my own, since oil change is so easy.
Anyway, if it doesn't bother you to much, stick with dealer, since that is covered and they know what they are doing.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:56 PM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"My dealer is 2 hours away.” That is kids stuff. My dealer is almost 6 hours away. :impatient Needless to say I change my own oil. Pretty easy, except for getting the canister to thread on correctly. I bought a case of MINI oil and a few filters from the dealer and I am set. By the way the same socket is used on the axle nut on the old VW bugs. My dad has one and I steal the socket from him when I change my oil. How convenient!

Old 10-17-2005, 02:00 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
You too can change your own oil. It's as simple as YuccaPatrol's list of necessaries. If you are capable of changing a tire, you can change your own oil and filter, really. Check out other threads on the subject, and if necessary find anothr MINI owner in your area to buddy with.

p.s. Welcome to our common addiction. You are now a member of the tribe.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:11 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rhino Ramps are helpful to elevate MINI. Mine are 3 piece--so they store in separate pieces.

I replaced my Craftsman 36mm with an oil filter socket that I bought from Pep Boys--also 36mm but super compact and was like $8. Where the Sears one is like 2 inches deep, this is like 1/2 " deep or so.

A deep socket may fit fine, until you back out the filter, and realize that the extra depth of the socket makes it hard to remove the socket from the top of the filter housing! It can work, but a shallow depth socket is much nicer.

Also a Fumoto Valve to replace your oil drain plug will save both the threads and hassle of draining the oil oil. And it won't leak--it's got a 2 way valve that prevents it from accidentally opening--you gotta lift it and then turn it to open it.

Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
36mm socket from Sears, Jug of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart, Genuine MINI filter from my local BMW mechanic friend.

Change the oil myself in the garage.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:27 AM
Cecil Davis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lescatch
Where is everyone going for their oil changes? The nearest dealers are an hour and a half from my house and independents are charging an arm and a leg to change the oil. What are your solutions?
:smile: Become a "Do It Yourselfer"

It's faster, easier, cheaper, and even fun. You get to know a little more about you Mini and at the same time gain a since of gratification for doing something you know helps keep your pride and job operating in tip top shape. . . . !

Cecil
Heidleberg, Germany
Hometown: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Born: Alexandria, Virginia (a long time ago )

Old 10-18-2005, 04:19 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Originally I had planned on doing it myself, but I just go to my MINI dealership...80 miles away. The people are so nice there that it is a fun trip...besides any excuse to drive.

BTW, I checked w/my local BMW dealership and they will do the oil change. I would have to bring them the oil filter (any any other necessary parts). Also, once the car is out of warranty, they said they would also be more than happy to work on it as long as I provide the parts...they just can't do warranty work. I used the local BMW dealer to unmount my runflats as I figured they were plenty used to dealing with them. Now I'm in the system as having a BMW MINI.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I just can't see wasting perfectly good money on something like an oil change when I can easily do it myself in my own garage in about 30 minutes.

Click Here For The Webb Motorsports How-To

Go For It! You can do it yourself and save money.

Sean

Old 10-18-2005, 06:38 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-IZED
"My dealer is 2 hours away.” That is kids stuff. My dealer is almost 6 hours away.
How about 33 hrs away
Yes I'll be doing my own

Old 10-19-2005, 08:44 AM
minibot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nolimit
How about 33 hrs away
Yes I'll be doing my own
You could call roadside assistance, maybe, and get it towed to Seattle at that point.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:40 AM
nuclear kitten
1st Gear
can't ask for better than that

Originally Posted by biggripper
I just can't see wasting perfectly good money on something like an oil change when I can easily do it myself in my own garage in about 30 minutes.

Click Here For The Webb Motorsports How-To

Go For It! You can do it yourself and save money.

Sean
Well with such detailed instruction I am pretty sure even I can do it! Great site, thanks ever so much.
NK

Old 10-22-2005, 10:43 AM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nolimit
How about 33 hrs away
Yes I'll be doing my own

Wow you definitely have me beat by a long shot!! What is it like driving such a small car in Alaska?

Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 PM
nolimit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-IZED

Wow you definitely have me beat by a long shot!! What is it like driving such a small car in Alaska?
Not to bad so far. I have to keep my eyes out for all the Morons In trucks and SUVs They tend to not see me .