1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market....have questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:29 PM
jdf1972
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market....have questions

Guys, Gals,

This is my first post, and I'm glad to be here! My name is John.

I've decided to get rid of my '02 VW GTI 1.8T as I've had far too many problems with the car. It began with failed window regulators - twice per window. Not that big of a deal, but a hassle none-the-less. If the car sits for more than 2 days, the battery drains. Turbo had to be replaced, comfort module failed, moonroof broke twice, coil packs failed AFTER VW's recall and ruined the catalytic converter, windshield decided to split a huge crack down the center for no reason. Now I'm having some sort of engine oil pressure problem and the car is at the dealership again. Thank heavens I'm still under warranty. This car is gone soon!

Has anybody here wished they bought something else after they purchased their Mini? i.e. WRX, RSX-S? I've test driven a WRX, RSX-S, Dodge SRT-4, and Mini S. I've eliminated the SRT-4 and RSX-S from the mix, and have narrowed it down to either a Mini S/JCW/Aero package or the WRX Limited model 5-speed manual.

Consumer reports lists the Impreza as the most reliable of all four cars I've looked at. Notwithstanding, I'm seriously considering the Mini. I understand the decision is completely up to me, but I'm just looking for for feedback regarding the reliability of the Mini S/JCW.

The JCW Mini has better MPG ratings and car insurance is a little lower as well. On the other hand, the WRX has AWD, turbo, and excellent reliability ratings. On the other, other hand, the Mini support group has a little more maturity.

Again, any feedback is appreciated.

(Note: It feels good that I've reached this point in my life where I have the fiscal resources to afford either vehicle, and actually have some fun in the decision process).

Old 10-19-2005, 08:49 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Previous to my MINI, I owned 2 VW's, a '96 GTI, and an '02 Golf GL. I wanted something different. I was totally convinced that the Subaru WRX SportWagon was just what I wanted. I test drove it twice, and I loved the engine, the turbo rush, and the tranny. I love the functionality of hatchbacks, and the sportwagon afforded me that functionality, but with great performance, and best of all, AWD. I live in Syracuse, NY, in the path of massive amounts of snowfall each winter, and the idea of finally having traction in the winter was very appealing!

But then came the fateful day when, on a whim, I decided to test drive a MCS. It was love at first sight/drive. I simply had to have one. I didn't care that the closest dealership was 130 miles away. I didn't care that I'd have to put on snow tires for the winter. I didn't care that it was small inside (comparitively) to the WRX, and only 2 doors.

The level of fit-and-finish, and interior refinement was worlds above the WRX. At the time, the WRX interior felt cheap and plasticky; economical. There was no sunroof offered either. I felt that for that much money, I should be able to have an interior I could live with for at least 5 years.

Here's the key: with the MINI, every day I drive it, I feel like I'm driving a $30k car, (but paid $23k). With the WRX, looking at the interior, I felt like that was a $17k car, quality-wise, and it was really a $23k car. It was about the perception of value for me. I felt the MINI was worth every penny, and the WRX, well, felt like you were buying a great performer, but their design department kinda cut corners and budgets for the interior bits and pieces.

The MINI was my final decision. I built my dream MCS online, and got my exact dream car back in March of '04, and haven't regretted it in any way. I still like WRX's, and Golfs too, but I'm very happy right now!

Hope that helps.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jdf1972
Guys, Gals,

This is my first post, and I'm glad to be here! My name is John.

I've eliminated the SRT-4 and RSX-S from the mix, and have narrowed it down to either a Mini S/JCW/Aero package or the WRX Limited model 5-speed manual.

Consumer reports lists the Impreza as the most reliable of all four cars I've looked at. Notwithstanding, I'm seriously considering the Mini. I understand the decision is completely up to me, but I'm just looking for for feedback regarding the reliability of the Mini S/JCW.

The JCW Mini has better MPG ratings and car insurance is a little lower as well. On the other hand, the WRX has AWD, turbo, and excellent reliability ratings. On the other, other hand, the Mini support group has a little more maturity.

Again, any feedback is appreciated.
A friend of mine has a MCS and a WRX STI, amongst a bounch of other cars and is getting rid of the WRX STI. The WRX is FAST but the MCS is a lot more fun.

Earl

Old 10-19-2005, 09:16 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Previous to my MINI, I owned 2 VW's, a '96 GTI, and an '02 Golf GL. .....
Hope that helps.
I am more like you... Comming from a 96 Golf Sport, then 98 Audi A4, then 04 Subaru WRX Wagon (I made a switch, since there is too much trouble on the Audi). I am a Germany car fan, but I admit that VAG relibility sucks, and that is the reason I jump from my $30k Audi to a $20k Subaru. However, the WRX doesn't satisify me within that year.. There are many good things about WRX, i.e. power from the turbo engine, world leading AWD technology, Subaru's relibility, and cheap! Within a year ownership of the WRX wagon, I drove the car daily as a daily commuter, and going out of town in the weekend, the more I drove my car, the more I miss how solid my previous A4 or Golf handle, the nice touch of the interior. Then I realize that I really don't need a very fast car, what I need is how's it handle, the fun I can achieve by taking a fast corner, not 0-60 on stop light. At the end of last year, I had a chance to test drive the MCS, I deeply love that car, that is exactly what I need. It gives me a daily smile on daily commute, not as bore as drivng a Civic to work (I feel I was in a Civic when I was driving the WRX to work).
But anyway, it is depends on you. Both WRX and MCS are great cars. It is really depends on what you like and how you use it.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:21 AM
francisk
6th Gear
BTW, I never driven a WRX STI before, but if you are talking about the STI rather then WRX, that may be another story. Since I heard the STI is a much more tighter car than the WRX.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:37 AM
jdmarino
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
biased sample

Originally Posted by jdf1972
...the Mini support group has a little more maturity.

(Note: It feels good that I've reached this point in my life where I have the fiscal resources to afford either vehicle, and actually have some fun in the decision process).
I'm sure you know you're quizzing the converted. What do the folks say on the WRX forums?

Old 10-19-2005, 10:49 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
The only other car I would consider is the Lotus Exidge. An Elise with more downforce. And, best of all, it is a Brittish Car

Old 10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
nuclear kitten
1st Gear
No regrets

I hated the car I drove before the mini even though it was much more functional, I guess. MCS was the car I never thought I would have because I always had to worry about other people, it is the most selfish purchase I have ever made and the most frivolous ...I have regretted it only once. It is not a smooth ride and was not much fun coming home after surgery in it! (I live down a bumpy country road). Other than that my only regret is I can't drive it again until my arm comes out of the sling!

Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jdmarino
I'm sure you know you're quizzing the converted. What do the folks say on the WRX forums?
immature people are everywhere, serfing the nasioc.com for a year long, I don't feel people there aren't much immature than people in here. That totally is your bias.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
anteken
4th Gear
Howdy,

I have an 06 MINI MCS and an 04 VW R32. Neither will make "Consumer Reports" as super reliable cars. If you want reliability, go with a Toyota or Honda, or even a Subaru. If you're willing to accept a (very) little chance of pain with your fun, look no further than the MINI. They are a hoot and no one will ever consider them soulless.

Cheers

Old 10-20-2005, 03:22 PM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
delete

Last edited by earthtoandy; 10-20-2005 at 03:33 PM. Reason: oops
Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Had a 1990 Carrera 2 when I got my MCS. After a week, I sold the C2. The MCS is, by far, the most fun car I've owned. I still have a grin on my face when I drive it! In my opinion, that's the deal closer. Try to find a MCS owner who doesn't still love driving it!