1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Mini... oh the possibilities....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:52 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New Mini... oh the possibilities....

Hello all! I am o-ron and a NEWB here at the NAM website. I've done a lot of reading here but have now finally decided to register and be a member (eventhough I don't *yet* own a mini)

In fact, my very first Mini purchase is exactly the topic of which I'd like to ask for some good general advice from all of you out there.

First of all is the 2006 vs waiting for the 2007 debate. I read through the forum here that debated this and I think that I'm going to go with a 2006. Mainly because I don't want to wait 2+ years for my '07 MCS+JCW (although a super turbo mini would be a beautiful thing... but that's for the future).

I'm wondering about a couple things and just looking for informative opinions:

1. When would be a good time to buy - I figure the announcement of a new 2007 model should spark discounts for the '06 model - any thoughts on this?

2. To JCW or Not to JCW, that *is* the question. I've driven a standard MC, a MCS, and a slightly modded S, but no JCW yet (waiting for a drivable one at the dealership!). The modded S I liked the best, except for the overly loud exhaust. I'm quite sure that, at least eventually, I would like to upgrade my S with either after market or the official JCW kit. The factory kit sounds great, but that extra $6 grand up front is a little painful. What about adding it later?

3. Local dealer or local importer? The local dealer says there's a 7 month wait on a MCS. They're nice, though, helpful and charge only $500 over MSRP. There's a local importer group that says they can have a custom ordered '06 within 6-8 weeks, but it'll cost $1200 to have it freighted to my house.
Any thoughts? Are these guys a scam?

4. I'm sure i'll think of more soon.... :-)

THANKS!

:: o - r o n ::

Old 10-22-2005, 11:23 PM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
1. There are no discounts. MSRP is as good as it gets. I'm not sure where you are located but you could always try another dealer that could get it faster and then fly out and drive it home. The dealer in Salt Lake sells at MSRP.

2. This is definitely a personal/monetary choice...

3. I'd go through a dealer...there are plenty out there. The worst that happens is you buy at MSRP, fly out to pick it up, and then drive home in your new car.

4. There is always more...

Good luck!!!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:07 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
  1. Normally, one might think so. However, because this is a HUGE change from SC to Turbo, and everyone knows about the first year bugs, you might get NO discouts. It also depends upon how MINI decides to distribute and sell cars (e.g., in the later months of the year, will there be fewer and fewer cars as they ramp up for 07?)
  2. JCW is quieter than stock. Do a search on MINI2 and see the actual testing. Very quiet. You can always add the JCW stuff later but you will lose the benefit of getting the JCW brakes, basically, thrown in from the factory. You can also has other mods with or without JCW
  3. Look a the dealers on this forum. They have cars and are willing to ship anywhere (I believe)
Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello & welcome o-ron,

1. My guess is that when the 2007 MINI comes out you won't see any discounts being offered. People will ****** them up because they are the last of the real new MINI. Heck you might even see dealers capitalize on that fact. A chance to squeeze more money from a customer. I sure wouldn't buy from any dealer that marks up over sticker. I don't know where you live, but there are dealers in the US that sell at sticker. One that I've heard of even ships for free!

2. I drove a JCW in 2004 when they first came out. Too my mind it was a heck of a LOT of $$$ for what you got. I believe you could get your MINI to the same state of tune or higher for less money. The one thing that the JCW kit has that you can't do with an aftermarket kit....it's got a factory warranty!

3. I would buy from a dealer rather than an importer or broker. If down the road you have a problem the dealer will be more likely to be helpful if you bought the MINI from him.

Chuck

Old 10-23-2005, 11:49 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
To everyone: thanks for all the great feedback!

So here's what I'm thinking based on your responses:

Going with the dealer is probably the best bet, as I'll get best treatment from them for maintenance, etc (especially on those first 36 months of free maintenance).
I live in Seattle and so the nearest Mini dealer is Northwest Mini in Fife (Tacoma) about 1/2 hour drive away. If I can buy from these guys, then that would simplify my life as it would be a relatively painless trip over for oil changes, etc. They were really nice in the showroom, friendly, helpful, and not pushy at all.
The only problem is, as I mentioned, they do charge a $595 dealer fee and they say the approximate wait for a MCS is around 7 months (although they said as convertible productions go down, this may speed things up).

Any other dealer recommendations? The other closest one is in Portland, but I don't know anything about them. Would buying from another dealer be a problem if I then try to get service down at this place in Fife?

As far as a wait, I don't really have a big problem with it as I'd probably be more financially stable if I purchased sometime in about 4-6 months. I'd probably be happier, too, as the weather would be getting nicer. But of course, all of this fights with my impatience... :-)

I was hoping there would be discounts in the future, but maybe no such luck on such a hot item as the mini. One can always hope...! :-)

Thanks again!

:: o - r o n ::

Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Bridget50
1st Gear
o-ron,

I also didn't want the long wait NW MINI has. I got my 05 MCS from MINI of Pittsburgh (Graham, SA) in six weeks. She was shipped west on a truck. No dealer mark-up, excellent service. Puget Sound is full of MINIs purchased elsewhere (military members love them, people not wanting the wait, etc). I've yet to encounter any dealer service dept turn down servicing a car bought elsewhere!

So, get that MINI and enjoy all those extra months of not waiting.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:09 PM
anteken
4th Gear
Service departments are separate from the New car sales. They will take their money from whomever. I bought both my R32 and SVT from nonlocal dealers and the local dealers are more than happy for the business, including warrenty work. That shouldn't be a problem.

Buy from one of the dealers shown above. They are all reputable and used to dealing with out-of-state (CA) buyers. You will get it in less than 2 months and for zero over MSRP. Shipping is very reasonable or you can fly out and drive back....Whoo Hooo! Roadtrip!

Old 10-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I said this >>> 3. I would buy from a dealer rather than an importer or broker. If down the road you have a problem the dealer will be more likely to be helpful if you bought the MINI from him.

I didn't mean to imply that a dealer would refuse service if you hadn't bought from them. That won't happen. Rather if you run into a problem they would be more willing to help. Example>>> Two cars waiting for service, one bought from them & one somewhere else. You really need to have your car fixed asap, but you bought it elsewhere. Only time to work on one car today. Whose gets worked on & whose waits a day?? That's what I meant.

Chuck

Old 10-23-2005, 09:56 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
I am a little confused... regarding shipping, fees, delivery, etc...

Miniusa.com puts a $550 "destination and handling" fee right into the calculated MSRP. I presume this is a mandatory fee?

Mini northwest charges a $595 dealer fee.. but then since it's local I don't have to pay to have it shipped, because they handle shipping it to Fife, WA - right? So, if I order from somewhere else that charages MSRP + $0 but then have to pay to have it shipped, I don't end up saving anything, and could possibly even pay more depending shipping costs??

confused in seattle

Old 10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Rasmussen in Portland did not used to charge any mark up over MSRP, but their wait was around 10 months. I got mine through Classic in Ohio and paid $900 to have it trucked (with other NAM folks) to California. I think it was a 3 month wait. Kinda fun picking up the MINI along with other fans.

I brought my car in for recall work and there was no problem. However when I had brought it in previously for what I thought was warranty work I was told that because my car was purchased at another dealer the dealer-installed equipment was warranted only for the part and not for the labor. So I would have to pay for labor and then seek reimbursement from the original dealer. This was verified to a point by MINIUSA (actually the response was non-committal, but suggested the dealer was correct). So you might be better off purchasing local if you are getting a bunch of dealer-installed options.

Lotsa folks on NAM waited a long time for their MINIs. It seems an honorable rite of passage for the marque. Best wishes.