1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Convenience Package worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:12 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already placed my order for a new MCS, but I'm going to be calling the dealer to have a couple things added soon. To cut costs, I'm thinking about scratching the convenience package. Although it sounds great, I'm not so sure it's worth $400.

Before I decide, I would like your opinions on the package. MotoringFile.com's Gabe lists it as a "If money is no object" option... but there's also the individual parts to consider... if you think the auto-dimming rear view mirror is amazing, let me know because that's a $200 seperate option.

Thanks in advance!

- Brandon

Old 11-18-2005, 11:19 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I have the package and love it.

Garage door opener - Use it constantly Much cleaner then a clip on opener sitting in the car.
Rear dimming mirror - I was blinded in my last car by not having it.

What else is in this package...? I forget

Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
What else is in this package...? I forget
Auto headlights, auto wipers.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:25 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
How does the auto-dimming rear view mirror work exactly?

Old 11-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
It's a tough call - I liked the old packages better, when they combined the auto wipers with the dimming mirror. Now that they've seperated them it's not a slam dunk. The rain sensing wipers are pretty cool, and a built in GDO is good. I personally have no desire for auto headlamps.
I use Ian's circuit for the GDO, so I'd have a tough time spending $200 on the mirror, but I'd probably choose the overall package.

Questions to ask yourself:
Do you use a GDO, and where would you put it if the car didn't have one?
Does it mist lightly where you live? Auto wipers are great for that.
Will you tint your rear window? If so, the auto dimming mirror is less useful.
Do you like auto headlamps?

Old 11-18-2005, 11:28 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Auto lights are conveneint...for when you go in tunnels or when it starts to rain.
Auto wipers are ok

The auto dimming mirror dims when bright lights from behind hit it.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you must have all the gadgets, then this is for you, but I don't think it is worth the money and consists of a list of electrical things that can break:

1) rain-sensing wipers: I have rain-sensing eyeballs that can sense even a single drop of rain. You still have to turn the rain sensing wipers on after YOU have sensed rain. . . also make windshield replacement much more expensive in the unlikely event that the MINI windshield cracks . . .

2) aut-dim mirror: again, I have light sensitive eyeballs and flick my mirror down at night. . . auto-dim may not work if you have tint. . . . I'd add it to the list of "one more thing to break"

3) auto-headlamps that come on when dark: again, I have light sensitive eyeballs that alert me that I cannot see in the dark. . .

4) garage door opener: if you use the garage door all the time, then this would be great. I'd spend $200 for this long before I bought the whole package for $400, but I'd probably just use my regular remote and save the $200. . . .

Old 11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
indimini
4th Gear
I have the package on my 05 MCSC, prior to them offering the auto-on headlights. I would concur with MDSBrain that the garage door opener and auto dimming mirror are great additions to the car that get used daily.

I'm not sold on the value of the auto wipers. While nice, you have to remember to turn them off and back on everytime you need them - they can't just be kept in the on position. (Makes sense for things like the car wash, etc.). When used, it is nice to not have to switch between intermittent and on when waiting at a light for example. My other concern is that the front windshield may be more expensive to replace because of its layout for the auto sensing wipers.

I've had auto-on lights on a different car and found it worthless. I hated when the lights would click on in a short tunnel only to turn off seconds later. It's pretty easy to know when you need your lights.

That said, if the cost of the mirror and garage door opener is almost the same as the package, it's easier to just order the package.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:33 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by elbum0
Two buy or not to buy?
I have this and would not get another car(MINI) without it
Autodimming mirror a must exsp' when a Pick-up,suv is up your Butt.
"Homelink"tm GDO clean nothing on the visor can program 3 openers
Auto headlights, I leave them on all the time
Auto wipers k use them now and then exsp' when it's drizzling

Old 11-18-2005, 11:34 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I found it wasn't worth it, even though I like the auto dimming mirrors I have had before. I personally do not want my garage door opener programmed into my car (I have it velcroed in a nice hidden spot that works well and I can take it out if I want when car is in service, etc), I do not want auto headlamps, and as much as I liked the auto wipers in the 3 series the one in the Mini is not quite as nice so considering the above I didn't see the advantage to getting it with the other stuff I don't want. Auto dimming mirror is useful but for the price I figured the window tinting would help with glare issues.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
flashaggie
1st Gear
I just got the garage door opener. That worked for me. The Explorer I had before my MINI had the auto dim mirror, and auto lights. It's nice but I really don't miss it. I'm thinking I'll miss the auto dim mirror less when I get tint.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
IDo you use a GDO, and where would you put it if the car didn't have one?
This would probably be the most useless feature being that I live in a room we built inside the garage, leaving the actual "garage" about 6 feet deep.
Does it mist lightly where you live? Auto wipers are great for that.
Not so much
Will you tint your rear window? If so, the auto dimming mirror is less useful.
Actually yes I'm planning on tinting all the windows.
Do you like auto headlamps?
Never used them.

So based on all this, sounds like the package won't be worth it. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2005, 11:46 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I have tinted windows and see no change in the functionality of the auto-dimming mirror

Old 11-18-2005, 11:50 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Rear dimming mirror - I was blinded in my last car by not having it.
I have tinted windows and see no change in the functionality of the auto-dimming mirror
Did your last car have a tinted back window?

Old 11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Where to put a GDO

I don't have the home link, but I have layed my GDO in the tray under the emergency brake. My garage door opener is black and silver and matches my interior perfectly. Additionally, I have no problem with the signal. It does not need to be mounted on the visor. Additionally, I have seen them velcroed under the switches.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to me!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:32 PM
ogrady
2nd Gear
With limited space in the glove box, I might consider the GDO only if I was to do it all over again. the other items are so close to control, I don't see the value. I left this package off.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol

1) rain-sensing wipers: I have rain-sensing eyeballs that can sense even a single drop of rain.
2) aut-dim mirror: again, I have light sensitive eyeballs and flick my mirror down at night. .
3) auto-headlamps that come on when dark: .
ROFL. But the question is ... do they break down with age

Old 11-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
Auto Dim mirror not so great...

We had the auto dim mirror on our last Cooper and were not greatly impressed with it. The auto wipers were much more impressive, but we used that feature seldomly so when we ordered our '06 that was the only package we didn't order. The speed sensing wipers that are standard work just as well.

I've already placed my order for a new MCS, but I'm going to be calling the dealer to have a couple things added soon. To cut costs, I'm thinking about scratching the convenience package. Although it sounds great, I'm not so sure it's worth $400.

Before I decide, I would like your opinions on the package. MotoringFile.com's Gabe lists it as a "If money is no object" option... but there's also the individual parts to consider... if you think the auto-dimming rear view mirror is amazing, let me know because that's a $200 seperate option.

Thanks in advance!

- Brandon

Old 11-18-2005, 02:17 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See my order below in my signature, I don't think ANY of the packages are worth it. I ordered a MCS and kept it under 22K, probably should have even skipped the HK and the MFW and got it for closer to 21K. But I do like the idea of changing the channels and volume w/o reaching for the radio. I don't think I'll have any problems getting 20 or 22K back out of it when and if that time comes. 25 or 26K?... that's a different story...

Old 11-18-2005, 02:32 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Toggles

One other thing that will play a very small role in my decision... Will removing the Convenience package remove any of the toggle switches? I hate the idea of not having a complete set of toggles!

Old 11-18-2005, 02:42 PM
eVal
6th Gear
One other thing that will play a very small role in my decision... Will removing the Convenience package remove any of the toggle switches? I hate the idea of not having a complete set of toggles!
Nope, won't effect the toggles

Its funny, we have a pretty darn loaded car and enjoy and use everything - the heated seats, sunroof, nav, hk, xenons, etc - but we don't miss omitting the convenience pkg, no regrets at all. But to each his own, the beauty of the Mini is its configure-ability and everyone should get what they like

Old 11-18-2005, 02:49 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
GREAT.

Goodbye, Convenience Package then.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
No, but to get a full rack you do have to spend $250 for the front and rear fogs. Or just spend $70 on the full rack (installed after delivery by you) and pretend you have front and rear fogs!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had ordered the convenience package on the MCS that I didn't bring home because of an order screw up. When I ordered the replacement I decided that it was a lot of money for what you got. As has been stated before I have the ability to turn lights & wipers on for myself. I really do like the auto dimming mirror though. I put one with homelink on my Forester. I flat out love it. I ordered the auto dimming mirror, but I'm not sure if the dimming mirror on the MINI when ordered seperately has the homelink function. If not I have a spare remote that can live in the MINI.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Is the Convenience Package worth it??