1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom order near SF Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:08 PM
dwfrank
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom order near SF Bay Area?

I've resigned/convinced myself that what I want is a custom order MCS.

Any time spent trolling around NAM and you'll find that the 4 dealers in the Bay Area are charging over MSRP (and some have very bad overall reputations). So that leaves me looking elsewhere for a custom order. Here's what I've found out so far:

Mini of Pittsburgh: 2 months lead time, ~$1200 for open transport (too far to drive); people love Graham, he's been great so far.

Mini of Long Beach: 4-5 months lead time (I'm now on their interest list), easy to get to and drive home the same day; friend bought an MCS from their stock, so I have 1st hand good info on The Dudes.

Classic Mini: unknown lead time, mostly good reputation; according to NAM they "only ship in closed trucks" so most folks say to "wait for a group buy."

Anyone have a good experience and/or good data on an MSRP dealer on this side of the Mississipi? Or better, the Rockies? Basically, I want a production slot that still gets me an 06, but at a dealer that isn't 2000 miles away from home.

We're so close to being able to buy a car like it was a book coming from Amazon.

--dwf (The w stands for "want my oompa loompa NOW!")

Old 11-20-2005, 10:33 PM
gwman
2nd Gear
I went with Mini of Murray in Salt Lake City. MSRP, moved up my production date by a month (car produced a month after ordered) when someone else dropped out, and so far so good. The other choice is South Bay down in LA, which a lot of people use. One advantage of South Bay is that they're much closer to the port, so you wouldn't still be waiting for your Mini for a week after the LA people get theirs, like I am. I don't know what their wait time is.

I was surprised when Mountain View Mini wouldn't even budge on the extra 2500. In fact the guy told me I should order from somewhere else if I didn't want to pay extra, and named Classic and South Bay as choices.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:15 PM
dwfrank
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gwman
I was surprised when Mountain View Mini wouldn't even budge on the extra 2500. In fact the guy told me I should order from somewhere else if I didn't want to pay extra, and named Classic and South Bay as choices.
Not that big of a surprise to those who have experienced Allison...I mean BMW/Mini of Mtn. View.

I know many folks who have dealt w/ the BMW side of the operation. Always the most expensive? And why? So they can treat their sales customers better than others'. For example, if you bought from Allison, you get loaner cars on all service. But not if you bought your bimmer elsewhere. There are other horror/annoying stories around NAM.

Who's your contact in Salt Lake? And are you planning on driving it "home?"

--dwf

Old 11-20-2005, 11:33 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
East Bay in torrence has been really good. Maybe it's south bay not sure, but southern cali.

MSRP. Was told the car wouldn't be ready till feburary. Getting it in December

Old 11-21-2005, 12:23 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
I recommend MINI of Murray in Salt Lake. Both Juan or Karen will take care you. They sell at MSRP and have a short wait time. Here's Juan's number...801-892-6957. Tell him Dennis, the guy in Iraq, recommended you so I can get some free stuff.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:55 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Houston has two dealers, I got mine at MINI of the Woodlands, your order will be turned in pretty much immediately at MSRP. Momentum also has no real wait time but will tack on a $497 "dealer services fee" so I wouldn't recommend them.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
hoopi
3rd Gear
I got mine from Classic in Ohio, MSRP and Julie was a delight to work with. They only ship in enclosed trucks to protect the car. Even with that fee, you'll get your Mini sooner and still save some cash. My choice to go with Classic was that they had what I wanted (almost exactly) already headed across on a ship. So for me it was less than 30 days from even deciding to get one to driving away from the dealer.

I opted for the "in person" approach. My plane ticket was only $129, and gas coming home was under $300. Throw in a few hotel stays, and the trip is under $1000, it's a blast, and you get to enjoy your new Mini the whole way. Of course with winter approaching, you probably have to go south to get home now.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Contact Jennifer Osborne @ South Bay Mini in torrance. She will get you whatever you want. She has a blue jcw hardtop on the lot right now fuly loaded !

310-939-7300

Tell her Brian/Fireball Tim Racing Sent you and you will definitly be taken care of ! My car is there right now getting some work done

Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
myzamboni
5th Gear
MOTH - Mini of the Hamptons. MSRP. Short leadtime. $500 shipping to the west coast (consider waiting in the queue at East Bay in Pleasanton and you would incur the $500 in price increases during your wait, if not more). Ask for Mike Dito.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Old 11-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
And you can check out the mini drag car while you are there

Old 12-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Tahoe Mini
1st Gear
MSRP MCS in stock this side of the Mississippi

Check out Albuquerque's Sandia BMW (505) 342-0066 and ask for John Miller.
He is my MA on my custom '06 JCW and has some great color combos (not sold) coming in about 1 week at MSRP including a JCW. You may want to check with them and see what they have AT MSRP!!

Good Luck!!

Tahoe Mini
'06 DS/S JCW
4 packages
6 Spd.
Anthracite dash, headliner
Rear Fog
Parklane interior

Old 12-04-2005, 02:49 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
If it is at all an option-flying to Ohio and driving back was a blast (but we do have family nearby to help justify the trip and eliminate any hotel stay.....). We had a great experience with Classic. Julie was great. I don't know how the cost would compare for you to the cost of shipping...

Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Got mine from Julie at Classic. Lots of info during sale and good follow up when I had a problem with service at SFBMWMINI.

Had tried Rasmussen in Portland. No mark-up but 11 month wait and very unresponsive during sales. Friend in Portland got his MCS at Rasmussen a year earlier and told me he also got lousy service during sales and it was from the same sales person.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:18 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw some misinformation above. I'm positive it was made in good faith, so I'll just correct it. The Mini dealership near Torrance is South Bay Mini, and is in the city of South Bay. East Bay Mini is up in the San Francisco bay area.

I've heard that East Bay Mini is among the few that charges no gratuity over MSRP. Since the thread starter is in the bay area, it might be a good dealership to consider. I know nothing beyond its general location and that it has been listed among the MSRP-only dealerships, so I suggest doing further research.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by effusant
I saw some misinformation above. I'm positive it was made in good faith, so I'll just correct it. The Mini dealership near Torrance is South Bay Mini, and is in the city of South Bay. East Bay Mini is up in the San Francisco bay area.

I've heard that East Bay Mini is among the few that charges no gratuity over MSRP. Since the thread starter is in the bay area, it might be a good dealership to consider. I know nothing beyond its general location and that it has been listed among the MSRP-only dealerships, so I suggest doing further research.

Good luck.
Just a slight correction. South Bay Mini Is located in Torrance which is near Los Angeles Airport. They are a MSRP dealer.

Like posted above, do whatever reasearch you feel necessary to get the best deal/service for your situation.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 PM
dwfrank
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the tips folks. I went w/ South Bay MINI.

More here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=56322

--dwf

Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
One option I considered was Oklahoma City. Just 1600 miles from San Francisco, not quite to the Mississippi River. About $300 via Southwest. The sales person told me they had 15 new MCSs on the lot going for MSRP. They order on spec so they have many orders in the pipe and can reconfigure them within the time limits. So it was possible to get a custom order in about 2 months.