1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "Park Lane" Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:34 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My "Park Lane" Experiment

So I recently discovered the mini international site and have fallen in love with the Park Lane edition. Obviously not available here in the US, all of the options are and I've managed to piece together a "Park Lane" MCS of my own on the miniusa site (minus badging, of course).

So I have a couple questions:

1. Is the park lane interior surface really that weird "3D Metallic" ? And if so, what does that look like? The pictures on miniusa are terrible (personally, i'm leaning towards the piano black as a classier finish). The "official" park lane just has the 3d stuff in the center console and then matching Royal Grey everywhere else..

2. This is totally unecessary, and maybe even sacrilege, but is there any way i could get "park lane" badges online?

3. Since I decided to piece-meal my "sports" package so I could get better wheels, I considered not getting the DSC since I will be getting the LSD. If I have a LSD, do I still need the DSC, or is that somewhat redundant?

Here's my build:
http://www.miniusa.com/link/buildyourown/custom?eid=69001&tid=1037&pid=1050799&sendconfigid =1143243&rs=95RU0KVXN1RRZ2FJ

Thanks!

:: o - r o n ::

Old 11-20-2005, 10:52 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, o-ron! I like your specs, but I am curious why you haven't taken the premium package? I saw the Royal Grey/Silver MINI for the first time this past week at Long Beach MINI. It is gorgeous! I am not sure about the dash, but the piano is a very glossy black. I think it will show every little fingerprint and scratches, too. I love my anthracite.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
, but I am curious why you haven't taken the premium package?
to shave $300 off the price... ;-) (no auto a/c and computer)

--

anybody know anything about the Park Lane Dash?? Pics???

Old 11-21-2005, 11:21 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
park lane dash info...

I just got back from my dealer who has a RG MC with the Park Lane Dash option.

•*Overall, this is like ordering a *Royal Grey* painted dash option with the supporting bits in anthracite as opposed to the silver when you order say, a chili red dash.

•*The only piece that is textured is the center pert of the dash under the speedo. It has a carbon fiber look to it. I don't love that part, but i don't hate it either.

•*the Trim rings on everything are also anthracite. I think that the vent, speedo & shifter rings would look better in silver for a little contrast.

Sorry i did not get a detail pic of the center!

-jac

Old 11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Looks good

I agree, though, I don't like the "carbon fiber" look. Even if it's real carbon fiber, i still don't like the look of it for interior surfaces on a car (seems cheesy to me). However, having matching RG interior color to the exterior would be great.

Definitely I think I'd want to get the chrome package to go with it (again, following the Park Lane style).

Man, this interior is getting EXPEN$IVE! ($400 just for some colored plastic??)

Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
Really nice spec! I'm not certain but fully suspect that you can get the appropriate badging - after all, it's a Park Lane in all but name. I agree with you that you truly can't tell what the new 3D silver interior trim looks like.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:44 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must say the miniusa doesn't do royal grey justice AT ALL! In fact online RG looks terrible. In person, however RG, looks AWESOME! The car that I ordered (Estimated delivery date 12/7) is PW/B but if I had actually see RG with a silver top in person before I ordered I would have done that. Problem is, the dealer had no '06s on the lot and my MA said he hadn't seen ANY of the new colors in person so I was out of luck.

The piano black dash that someone posted looks really cool. I'd consider that if I were u... definitely like nothing i've seen on a car before!

Old 11-21-2005, 07:50 PM
CeridianMN
3rd Gear
Space blue is the same way. On-line it looks really bad, and almost green0like. I made a pic of "my mini" based on the online stuff - but I have hardly looked at it due to the color. Seeing one in the showroom I liked it alot though. The only color I liked more was cool blue, but I do not want a convertible so I had to stay away from it.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:32 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ncdave
Really nice spec! I'm not certain but fully suspect that you can get the appropriate badging - after all, it's a Park Lane in all but name. I agree with you that you truly can't tell what the new 3D silver interior trim looks like.
Any idea where to look for badging?

Could I maybe proposition mini?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
just to bump this one question:

3. Since I decided to piece-meal my "sports" package so I could get better wheels, I considered not getting the DSC since I will be getting the LSD. If I have a LSD, do I still need the DSC, or is that somewhat redundant?

Old 11-22-2005, 12:13 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
we did not order the sport package for the same reason...I wanted to use the factory 16" tires on a set of aftermarket rims. I'll be doing the same when I order my 06.

As for the DSC.....we ordered it on the MCSa, so no option for LSD. I'll be ordering both on my MCS. I've been around long enough to realize that I might not be the best driver in every condition, why not have a little help?

also, RG and SB DO NOT show well online, or for that matter in pics either....I am fortunate enough to be about 5 minutes form my dealer, so stopping by is not biggie (of course, it costs me when i see all the new things i "need"....

-jac

Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by o-ron
I ordered my MCS with both Sport Pack and LSD. In hindsight, I should have gone a la carte as I too ditched the stock wheels immediately. As far as DSC versus LSD, here's a little anecdotal experience. A week before I got my car, I took a ride in a 2005 with full Dinan gear and no LSD. The owner told me one of his biggest gripes was how obtrusive the DSC was, so he got the IanCull DSC "trackmode" update that makes DSC off default. Now that I've got my car with LSD, I have yet to see the DSC light flash in two weeks of driving. Granted, I have not yet driven in rain, and have not pushed to the max yet, but I think the LSD probably takes a lot of the nastiness out of the FWD. I still believe DSC, in my experience with previous cars, is a good thing for a safety net. Long explanation to tell you to buy both.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:32 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Now that I've got my car with LSD, I have yet to see the DSC light flash in two weeks of driving. Granted, I have not yet driven in rain, and have not pushed to the max yet, but I think the LSD probably takes a lot of the nastiness out of the FWD. I still believe DSC, in my experience with previous cars, is a good thing for a safety net. Long explanation to tell you to buy both.
I agree. Had a buddy with a warmed over GSR. Always fun, but with a bit of power and no LSD it would pull a little and spin that one tire a LOT!. Ended up replacing the trans with a Type R one with the LSD...made a HUGE difference in the feel & usability of that car....

(ok, doesn't really talk about DSC....)

Old 11-27-2005, 08:49 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
A couple updates:

I've been reconsidering the sports package since by buying a la carte I managed to end up paying *more* than if I just bought the package, only because I want different wheel. Even if I opt for the $500 spoked wheel upgrade on the sports package, my total ends up $100 *less* and I get DSC thrown in to boot. So I dont' think I can justify the other wheels. Unless...

When looking at wheel costs in the dealer accessories, the web-spoked Sports Package wheels cost *more* than the R99's... but it will only let you add the total price of the R99 wheels - no matter what wheels you already have selected.

Do you think it would be possible to talk the dealer into swapping wheels so I could still just get the sports package and the R99's without paying through the nose?

just a thought...

Old 12-14-2005, 01:26 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
just to bump this one question:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=38578

Read minihune's post.