1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Rowan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Average Time

from placing order to getting a production number/vin?

It's been a week, but I am getting impatient now :(

btw....my MINI:
Solar Red/Silver Roof
Leatherette
Premium, Sport and Convenience packages.
AUX connector

Old 11-27-2005, 02:22 PM
runningman
3rd Gear
Its been over 2 weeks for me now

Old 11-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I placed an order May 31st 2005. Then I believe I got a production number a week later. Then my car arrived at the dealership on July 25th and took delivery on July 28th.

My dealership had plenty of production spots open when I placed an order so things went rather quickly. Oh, it also helps that my dealer is just a few minutes away from the port.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:49 PM
eVal
6th Gear
It really depends on the dealers - some have open slots sooner or later depending on how many are waiting and ahead of you and what the dealer's overall allocation is. We knew the time frame before we placed the order - only your dealer can tell you where your prod slot is expected to be.

Old 11-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Rowan
5th Gear
Well, 2 weeks was the estimate, with a maybe after a week you could get it.

I want my MINI already dammit

Old 11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Dawgfan
1st Gear
It took just over 2 weeks for me in September. I could have gotten a Cooper S a lot quicker, as my dealer had more allocations for the S.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered my MCc on 11/11/05 and received my production number right away, VIN and Scheduled for Production today 11/27/05, Scheduled Completion 12/07/05. Be patient, it'll happen.....

Old 11-27-2005, 07:16 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
I placed my order on October 24 and had a production number immediately... VIN came in about a week I think. I expect to take delivery some time this week (on a MCS)

Old 11-27-2005, 09:00 PM
runningman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
It really depends on the dealers - some have open slots sooner or later depending on how many are waiting and ahead of you and what the dealer's overall allocation is. We knew the time frame before we placed the order - only your dealer can tell you where your prod slot is expected to be.
Great info Eval....I wish my MA had been upfront with me about the allocation issue...

When I placed my order on 11/11, I was told I would probably have my production # around the middle of the following week and I could expect delivery in approximately 8 weeks...

I contacted my MA at the end of that first week and twice the following week, the first 2 times I was just told "it should be any time now, just waiting for it to move from order to production" It wasn't until the third time I contacted my dealer that I was told all of their current allocation was in production and "there shouldn't be much of a wait once they get their allocation"

I wouldn't have minded if I was told up front that my order might be more like 12 weeks rather than 8, I just find it hard to believe they didn't know their allocation was up when I ordered...

Old 11-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
I seem to be facing the same situation - when I ordered my 06 MCSc a week ago yesterday, the dealer said that I would have the production number by Monday, two days later. I was suspicious but now a week later he indicated that it will take another week to get the number. I am sure that the eight weeks delivery he quoted does not include the time waiting for a place in line - so my wait was just extended by two weeks. No mention by the dealer of allocations of course.

Oh well, at least he did confirm that the dealership would fit the JCW Suspension to the Cabrio I am ordering - which I had thought was not possible. Apparently they have done it a couple of times before - so I will be very happy to have full JCW on my cabrio after all.

Bill

Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Rowan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
I seem to be facing the same situation - when I ordered my 06 MCSc a week ago yesterday, the dealer said that I would have the production number by Monday, two days later. I was suspicious but now a week later he indicated that it will take another week to get the number. I am sure that the eight weeks delivery he quoted does not include the time waiting for a place in line - so my wait was just extended by two weeks. No mention by the dealer of allocations of course.

Oh well, at least he did confirm that the dealership would fit the JCW Suspension to the Cabrio I am ordering - which I had thought was not possible. Apparently they have done it a couple of times before - so I will be very happy to have full JCW on my cabrio after all.

Bill
Hmm..few days before mine....did you get a late jan/early feb date on yours?

Old 11-28-2005, 07:59 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by runningman
Great info Eval....I wish my MA had been upfront with me about the allocation issue...

When I placed my order on 11/11, I was told I would probably have my production # around the middle of the following week and I could expect delivery in approximately 8 weeks...

I contacted my MA at the end of that first week and twice the following week, the first 2 times I was just told "it should be any time now, just waiting for it to move from order to production" It wasn't until the third time I contacted my dealer that I was told all of their current allocation was in production and "there shouldn't be much of a wait once they get their allocation"

I wouldn't have minded if I was told up front that my order might be more like 12 weeks rather than 8, I just find it hard to believe they didn't know their allocation was up when I ordered...
Sounds shady , they certainly should have known (and likely did) the status of things when then told you that you should have your prod number the following week. Sorry you are having to deal with that - if its not on the contract I am not sure what your recourse is but to wait it out or take your business elsewhere.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ravana
Hmm..few days before mine....did you get a late jan/early feb date on yours?
He only said that delivery would be seven or eight weeks, which I took to be mid-January. But in that conversation, I was to have the production number in pocket within a couple days - so the production cycle would be starting right away. Sounds like I missed whatever slot was available and am now waiting for the next one - I have to believe that the production cycle estimate starts when the plant recognizes you in the system with your number on file.

Oh well, more time to save my coins to beat down the amount of my auto loan.....

Bill

Old 11-28-2005, 06:30 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my production number the same day I ordered it from my MA. Ordered 11/21, scheduled for production on 11/23, estimated build done by this Wednesday 11/30. Hit it right in my case.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:11 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear

Bill
Wow... who did u order from? on Oct 24th Morristown Mini gave me a prod number on the spot.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JRZYMINI
Wow... who did u order from? on Oct 24th Morristown Mini gave me a prod number on the spot.
Princeton Mini - I live about 20 minutes from the dealership so it was no contest where to go. This has been the only disappointment so far - they sold at MSRP and threw in more than the expected number of freebees. I planned to get two sets of wheels (JCW 18s as well as the Bullets that come with the Sport Package) and they are mounting for free on the R91s the Blizzak snows that I will drop off there before delivery. Finally they agreed to give me an IOU is the Nav system maps and software were not 100% current. Everything that was on my list they met or exceeded - except for the production number.

I have a feeling that they had an open allocation slot that somehow closed - and they felt they could promise me an immediate slot but now are waiting for their next allocation. Hard to blame this 100% on the dealer but it is disappointing to extend the wait.

With your MINI arriving in the freezing months, what are you planning to do immediately regarding snow tires, paint protection (wax), and the like? I envision myself not driving in January / February until I see a 50 degree day when I can do a thorough wax job.... New Jersey is not a heavy snow state but we have had our moments in recent years - so I feel that keeping performance tires on year-round was not a great choice. Let me know your thoughts....

Bill

Old 11-29-2005, 05:58 AM
CeridianMN
3rd Gear
With your MINI arriving in the freezing months, what are you planning to do immediately regarding snow tires, paint protection (wax), and the like? I envision myself not driving in January / February until I see a 50 degree day when I can do a thorough wax job.... New Jersey is not a heavy snow state but we have had our moments in recent years - so I feel that keeping performance tires on year-round was not a great choice. Let me know your thoughts....

Bill
From Minnesota:

I am getting my MINI in the next 2 weeks or so and I plan to drive it on the perf run-flats! Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but since I did basically my "dream spec" an extra set of wheels and tires are not in this years budget. Next year I'll probably get them though.

As far as waxing, I'll start driving it on the dealers prep job and try to schedule some time in a buddies new garage (his house is currently being built) to do a full dawn wash/zaino sealant. The garage is going to be a six car heated garage with a floor drain and a lift - he's kind of a car nut . I've never done a professional cleaning job on one of my cars so I plan to use part of his "5 year supply" of Zaino to see if I personally think it'll be worth it in the future (not even going to get into the debate about how it really is - I know that on an acedemic level).

Old 11-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Rowan
5th Gear
No love for me

Another week or two i guess!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:26 AM
runningman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ravana
No love for me

Another week or two i guess!
Same here....still waiting....:impatient

Old 11-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Rowan
5th Gear
I think it's time to start a new thread.....

Waiting for my Production Number support group

after that we can graduate to one of these....

Week XX Support Group

Old 11-29-2005, 01:37 PM
paulw
Neutral
I ordered my MCS from South Bay on October 8 and I still don't have a production number.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paulw
I ordered my MCS from South Bay on October 8 and I still don't have a production number.
Have you bugged them? We insisted on getting a very specific timeline before placing the order and had them write it down as a commitment (on the contract I think). We made that a priority, I don't know how it goes if that is not spelled out up front.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM
runningman
3rd Gear
Finally.....got my production number today, woo hoo

Course it won't work yet on MINI owners lounge, but the nice folks at 866-ASK-MINI confirmed my order was correct...

So the answer to the original question in this thread, how long to get a production number? 17 days for me....

Old 11-29-2005, 05:49 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear

Bill
I have a Nissan Xterra that I'll drive on the snowiest days so I didn't plan on 2nd set of wheels/tires. Where I live gets plowed pretty fast so I've pretty much been able to live w/o snow tires on our VW Jetta...

Back on topic... Prod number on Oct 24th and it looks like I may be picking my car up tomorrow depending on what time the dealer gets it in! I've been getting the feeling my MA is trying to get my car to me before end of month close... must be angling for a nice incetive bonus from his boss or something! That's a plus for me as I would have been happy taking delivery 5 weeks ago! I got a funny call from him, my MA, today in which he said that my car "probably" will be in tomorrow and he'll have it prepped asap and do I think I'll have the check from my bank by tomorrow???

Needless to say I'm signing the papers with the bank at lunch tomorrow so I'll be ready when the dealer is!

Old 11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I went to order a new MC last night and the dealer said I can't even place the order until the first of the year as they have no allocations left for December and they can't get one from another dealer....they mentioned something about an "order bank" which I didn't completely understand.

So if I can't order until the first of the year I won't see the car until like mid-February. Hopefully I'll beat the March 1 price increase....

Quick Reply: Average Time