1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Big Dave
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy! I'm brand new to the NAM and I'm trying to solve a problem with my headlights in a 2003 Cooper S. On passenger side the low beam Xenon won't come on. The high beam on that side does work. The problem is intermittent. The low beam will work for two or three weeks, then it won't. Swapped the bulbs and the Xenon bulb from the flaky side works in the good side. Bulb from good side won't work in the flaky side. Swapped control modules - they both work in the good side. Neither work in the flaky side. Checked fuses in engine compartment- all good.

Only thing I haven't done is take headlight ***'y. completely out of the car to try to get at what I believe is the "Igniter" or ballast module inside. Can this be replaced if I take the headlight out of the car? Anyone ever have problems with their Xenon headlights?

Keep the rubber side down!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
NealW
2nd Gear
Dave,

You may need to post you question to "Beneath the Bonnet" to get an answer. Maybe my "bump" will get the attention of someone who knows the answer to your question.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Dave, try sending a private message to a moderator and have them move your question over to the "Beneath the bonnet" forum. You'll probably get much better response over there. I don't have xenons, so I'm clueless, but good luck solving the problem!

Edit: Neal and I think alike. That's because my last name is his first name and we both have CR cars.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:51 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
My '03 just developed this problem, but only in the morning when its cold. Once they've been lit for the day, they will both come on.

I have to turn my lights off and on several times before the passenger side will ignite.

I hope there is a DIY fix? I can't get warranty work done here in Europe

Old 12-13-2005, 07:34 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Just curious -- why can't you get warranty work done in Europe? I'd think that if it was Euro-spec, the local dealers would work it, and if it was US-spec, the tax-free dealer you got it from would have a contact list. . .just seems kinda odd to me - I was always able to get warranty work done on my US-spec BMW over there through a local dealer. . .might be worth digging a little deeper, making some noise.

Originally Posted by BluMiniMe
I hope there is a DIY fix? I can't get warranty work done here in Europe

Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Ahhh Europe.... Mini only grants a 24 month warranty on their cars in Europe... regardless of US Spec or Euro Spec... and I'm just beyond that.

Blu happens to be US spec and will be coming home with me this coming summer. Once registered and titled in US, MINIUSA has agreed to provide me with a full 48 month warranty from date of purchase. So I'll get roughly 12 months of warranty once we get home.... but that's still 8 months away.

BTW, I also didn't get the car care program either... not offered in Europe.... or at least not in Italy. First service cost nearly 300 euros. I do it all myself now and keep a log.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:45 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has there been a Fix to this problem? This just started happening to me just a few days ago. I also have an '03 MCS. I haven't gone into great lengths to fix the problem yet, but I would like to know just in case.

The passenger side Xenon doesn't turn on all the time. I have to turn the lights on and off a few times to get it lit.