1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A funny thing about my MCS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by batgirlwildcat
Yeah, this guy...

"If the jack ain't right, we'll put up a fight!"

Old 12-02-2005, 08:41 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by effusant
that's not irony at all. It's incongruous and even a bit humorous. But not in the least bit ironic.

Isn't it ironic? Don't you think? A little too ironic! Yes I really do think.. It's like rai-e-ain on your wedding day... a free ride when you're already there!

sorry Allanis.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My October '02 MCS did not come with a jack and wheel chock but I was able to get one from my dealer at no charge and used it many times to rotate my wheels and also to change between my summer and winter wheels.

My November '06 MCS came with a jack, but no wheel chock.

During the winter I carry an emergency repair kit which is a 12VDC air compressor, a bottle of green "Slime" and a tire plugging kit.

So far I have not had to use the "Slime" but have had to plug two of my original run-flats.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:20 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
I waited ALLLLLLLLLLLL afternoon for someone to laugh at that.

Thanks for making my night, Rick. My day just isn't complete until I've cracked you up.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Manual says ...

"TIRE CHANGE SET

Your MINI is additionally equipped with a tire change set. This is located ... (gives location)
In case of a flat tire, the tire change set is not needed, since your MINI has Run Flat tires."

Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ofioliti
"TIRE CHANGE SET

Your MINI is additionally equipped with a tire change set. This is located ... (gives location)
In case of a flat tire, the tire change set is not needed, since your MINI has Run Flat tires."

Someone needs to put that on a poster. MINI might not appreciate it, but some of us would!

Instructions from IKEA can also be quite humorous. The set that came with a table I assembled recommended that "you are two people" to put it together. Well, I did it myself, so I must be as clever and/or strong as 2 people!

Old 12-03-2005, 03:48 AM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Remember that the base Cooper with 15" wheels has no runflats - and all Coopers have a spare. Thus for them the jack is useful.
So does anyone know if you can retrofit the spare to an MCS? Anybody sell a kit? RFTs IMO RA PITA. Okay, yeah I'm a nut case, but can't really run R3S05s as summer tires without a spare, 710s maybe, but not S05s.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:02 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by batgirlwildcat
I waited ALLLLLLLLLLLL afternoon for someone to laugh at that.

Thanks for making my night, Rick. My day just isn't complete until I've cracked you up.
and i just saw the picture again and i laughed as hard as i had the time i first saw it!!!!

Old 12-03-2005, 10:11 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjmann
So does anyone know if you can retrofit the spare to an MCS? Anybody sell a kit? RFTs IMO RA PITA. Okay, yeah I'm a nut case, but can't really run R3S05s as summer tires without a spare, 710s maybe, but not S05s.
rj, In the Cooper, there is a little spot in the boot for the donut spare. In the MCS, that space contains the battery, because of the supercharger in the S's engine. Lots of us carry full-size spares when we travel.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:12 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
rj, In the Cooper, there is a little spot in the boot for the donut spare. In the MCS, that space contains the battery, because of the supercharger in the S's engine. Lots of us carry full-size spares when we travel.
I dont think its because of the SC, i think it only has to do with placement of the Intake.

A donut fits nicely in the back of the car, but i never carry one, thats what roadside is for!

Old 12-03-2005, 10:18 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I dont think its because of the SC, i think it only has to do with placement of the Intake.

A donut fits nicely in the back of the car, but i never carry one, thats what roadside is for!
All I know is there's no room for the battery in the engine compartment, so it was tucked into the spot that holds the spare wheel in the Cooper. Roadside isn't always easily available when traveling in the wilds!

Old 12-03-2005, 10:21 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
All I know is there's no room for the battery in the engine compartment, so it was tucked into the spot that holds the spare wheel in the Cooper. Roadside isn't always easily available when traveling in the wilds!
so i drive on my rim for a few hundred miles. its an excuse to get new wheels!!!

Old 12-03-2005, 10:23 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
so i drive on my rim for a few hundred miles. its an excuse to get new wheels!!!
I've been looking at wheels and tires recently...Wanda likes shoes!

Old 12-03-2005, 10:51 PM
omar510
1st Gear
say if you have a flat late at night and cant go nowhere but home, you use the jack to keep the weight off the runflat while it sits overnight. i guess the extra weight makes the tire unbalanced. i forgot where i heard this from, either my MA or the manual

Old 12-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Electric Shock
6th Gear
Originally Posted by omar510
say if you have a flat late at night and cant go nowhere but home, you use the jack to keep the weight off the runflat while it sits overnight. i guess the extra weight makes the tire unbalanced. i forgot where i heard this from, either my MA or the manual
I don't know if that is why there is a jack but I can say that there is truth in the statement. My runflat went flat and my car sat in the garage a couple days until I figured out whether I was going to rid myself of the runflats or what. My runflat ended up very lopsided. By the way I saw a pic of someone who had a spare mounted underneath the MINI. I think it was a small spare and I think the parts for the mounting came from MINI somehow.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 AM
findude
4th Gear
if you carry a spare, tie it down . . .

rj, Lots of us carry full-size spares when we travel.
When carrying something that large and heavy inside the car, make sure it is properly tied down--you don't want that flying around inside if you have an accident or roll your MINI. You can get a set of tie-down straps with adjustable buckle fasteners at places like Home Despot for only a few bucks. Fortunately the MINI is equipped with cargo tie-down hooks, so you can use those.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:40 AM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... being lazy and living under 10 miles to my local AX venue, I like to show up on Hoosiers and not have to change tires at the event. One wonders what the roadside guys would make of someone on non-runflats and r-compounds to boot. Guess I'll just throw a donut in the back for days like that. Any pointers to where one can aquire one of these little beasties?