1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe Question - 07 Fit Requirement & Clutch/Brake Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:16 AM
fpanda
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am on the cusp of ordering a 2006 MCS JCW. I am 6'9" tall and have looked a long time for a small car and was surprised to find that I fit in the Mini Cooper better than my current Dodge Ram 1500. My main concern for waiting to buy the 2007 MCS JCW is that I won't fit and that it will be too late to still order the 06. Does anyone know if the fit allotment will be the same for a 07 as an 06?

Another question...How hard would it be to further space out the clutch and brake pedal on either model? For me they are a little tight with shoes on and thus would either need to drive barefoot or with driving shoes. I would love to move them both to the left a couple of inches but am afraid that moving them would harm something.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

FPANDA

Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
CeridianMN
3rd Gear
Most of this is a little technical for me, but I do believe you'll have trouble ordering a JCW in '07 as it's the first year of a new powerplant. I would imagine JCW would take until '08 or '09 for the new turbo's. Of course, with the closer BMW/JCW partnership this year I could be wrong.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 PM
fpanda
Neutral
Originally Posted by CeridianMN
Most of this is a little technical for me, but I do believe you'll have trouble ordering a JCW in '07 as it's the first year of a new powerplant. I would imagine JCW would take until '08 or '09 for the new turbo's. Of course, with the closer BMW/JCW partnership this year I could be wrong.
I understand that there maybe no JCW in the short term of the new release. Most BMW offereing don't come out with an "M" offering for 1-2 years after an intial introduction. I would expect the similar for Mini and JCW unless they plan on bucking this trend.

I am hoping to have financing complete so that I can order the Mini in March/April time frame. I am also a little concerned about the slowdown in production because of the retrofitting for future models. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

Anyway, does anyone have thoughts regarding my original questions or where/whom I should address regarding an answer?

Thanks,

FPANDA

Old 12-05-2005, 08:32 PM
TooTall
4th Gear
I'm a little taller than you, and although I fit in my 2006 just fine, I would never buy a 2007 until I'd tried one on. There's just too much little stuff that matters which might change. The new center stack in some of the show cars for example might goof up getting your knee around the steering wheel.
It's a problem. As you point out it'll be too late to order a 2006 from the factory, and although you might be able to find a 2006 demo JCW from a dealer, you know that will have been abused. My opinion is I'd go for the bird in the hand and order a 2006.

The pedals would be very difficult to shift. I guess you could cut and weld the pads farther to the left, but then you are going to be putting more torque on the risers. There isn't much room to the left with the foot rest in place. You must have bigger feet than me, as my 15's work ok. I know what you're talking about though, I had to drive a Lotus Esprit barefoot one day. But I did drive it.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
I'm just 6'7 (never thought I'd be JUST 6'7 haha) but I agree....I'd NEVER order without trying it first, cause that's such a hard thing to tell even if you had measurements, still might be something sticking out in the way or uncomfortable. But the center stack is my problem, and looks like the 07 will have a slimmer one so that is good news

Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 PM
fpanda
Neutral

I very much appreciate the taller members responding to my post. This helps out a great deals as it is hard to take some advice from those who cannot fill our shoes.

I have decided to make the final push and get the 2006 based on the comments poseted. I agree that I shouldn't wait for the 07 because of how it may fit differently. I do like the post that Gabe made on MotoringFile that the UK version of the MCSa JCW is on the horizon. I may look into getting this as a possible solution versus trying to move pedals. My feet are not that big and I wear a size 13. They are just wide and with the shoes I normally wear, they hit both pedals sometimes during the test drive. I guess it is something that I have to learn to deal with should I go that route.

I was thinking that maybe we should start our own category to share our common issues being tall and how they affect us driving the Mini. Might be cool to hear how other people deal or cope driving the Mini.

I just want to thank from the bottom of my heart the nice engineers and marketing types who thought it was a good idea in the first place to consider the range of seating to include us taller plants of the jungle.

fpanda

Old 12-08-2005, 04:52 AM
TooTall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fpanda
I just want to thank from the bottom of my heart the nice engineers and marketing types who thought it was a good idea in the first place to consider the range of seating to include us taller plants of the jungle.
Well said, and I sincerely second that. I've always been a car nut and very few have made the effort to accomodate us outsized individuals. It's understandable, I accept that. But what a joy to find a fun car that fits.

My collection of others I've tried on and been ok in:

BMW Z3 ragtop
Early Porsche 911
Datsun 240Z-280Z
1986 or earlier Porsche 944/944T with a smaller aftermarket steering wheel (this trick works in almost any pre-airbag car and can make a big difference)
1964 Ferrari 250 GTO (that was special but as likely as the Space Shuttle to ever be in my garage)

Things I've heard would fit but haven't tried:

Ferrari 360 Modena hardtop (of all things!).

Things that definitely do not fit:

Lotus Europa
Porsche 914
BMW Z3 Coupe
Jag XK8
Honda S2000

Corvettes kinda depend on the year. Some I've been quasi-ok in, others are definitely 'no-go'.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM
fpanda
Neutral
That is a very interesting assortment of vehicles you fit and don't fit in. I would be so lucky to have been able to fit in some of those. I am probably more bulky than you at 375lbs. which is why I don't fit as well as I would like into the Mini and most other cars. I need to go on a Mini Diet of sorts.

Anyway, the only other car that I would consider buying is the 2006 Subaru WRX STi. I love the speed and performance, but it doesn't have the coolness factor and charm of the Mini. I think I am very much sold on the Mini but I still get giddy when I test drive the STi.

Have you tried the STi? You might fit well.

FPANDA

Old 12-09-2005, 04:34 AM
TooTall
4th Gear
Nope, the WRX was 'no go' - not enough seat travel and the center stack got in the way. I haven't tried a Lancer Evo yet.

A few more:

Morgan +4 - go!
MGB/MGBGT - no go! (legroom)
BMW 2002 pre 74' - go!
BMW 535i - no go! (headroom)
1997 -2005 Honda Civic - go!
Honda Accord - no go! (headroom)
Scion xB - go! (But what a slug)
Scion xC - no go! (headroom, legroom, you-name-it)

American cars have been getting better recently, but for most of my life they have been very uncomfortable due to the lack of seat recline angle and low rooflines.

My favorite experience though has been renting a Hertz car in Tucson. My employer required us to rent sub-compacts, which at the time were Ford Fiestas. I took the keys from the counter rep, went out to the parking slot, and there was a Lincoln Town Car. Checked my contract, yep, sub-compact, sub-compact rate. Went back to the desk. She just looked up and said "For you sir, that IS a sub-compact". I've rented from them from that day onward.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 AM
jnlee
1st Gear
I wish I am tall like you guys..
complaining about spaces..