1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last review of my build for '06 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:30 AM
ericblz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last review of my build for '06 Coupe

It's nearly build time, was wondering if anyone had tips/ideas for me on the build I have put together. Thoughts are always welcome! My buddy mentioned the chrome mirrors and wheels, the dealer liked the anthracite dash.

My 2006 MINI Cooper S

Base MSRP* $20,600
Destination & Handling $550

paint
Chili Red Body Color $0
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Chrome Line Exterior $250
Chrome Mirror Caps INC

package
Cold Weather Package $300
Heated Front Seats
Heated Side Mirrors and Washer Jets

Convenience Package $400
Universal Garage Door Opener
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps

Premium Package $1,400
Automatic AC
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
On-Board Computer
3-Spoke w/Cruise and Multifunction

Sport Package $1,900
Dynamic Stability Control
Front Fog Lamps
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash
17" Web-spokes (Run Flat Perf.)
Black Bonnet Stripes

performance
Sport Suspension Plus STD
Automatic w/Agitronic Paddles $1,350

cockpit
Sport Seats STD
Cloth/Leather: Octagon Tartan Red $800
Chrome Line Interior $200
Int. Surface Anthracite $0
Center Arm Rest $200
Park Distance Control $350
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player
STD

TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $28,300

accessory**
"S" Rubber Floor Mats (front) (installation not incl.) $70
"S" Rubber Floor Mats (boot) (installation not incl.) $59

TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $129
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $28,300

TOTAL COMBINED $28,429

Old 12-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Rowan
5th Gear
Looks almost like what I would have gotten if I had ordered an MCS (except for the paddle thingis).

I think on a MINI, you can safely skip the Park Distance Control and save $350, unless you really want it!

Old 12-09-2005, 12:01 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were me I'd leave off the Convenience Package... no of those options are particularly useful IMHO. I'd also leave off the parking distance detected. The back window is pretty much the back of the car so it is SUPER EASY to judge where the back of your car is... plus parallel parking is much easier since you are getting an automatice. Seriously, this IS a MINI!!! Easy parking is definitely one of its best features!!!

I'd add the rear fog lamp even tough it is pretty worthless. If you don't have it you have a blank space in the bank of switches (the windows up/down and door locking switch bank). The blank space in my MCS bums me out. I would have gotten the fog lamps if I had know the switches looked funny without it.

Since you are getting an auto the armrest is cool... if you were getting the six speed id say leave off the armrest. It actually gets in the way of shifting I've experienced (not in mine but at the dealer).

Old 12-09-2005, 12:02 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
It sounds silly but the park sensors have actually come in handy for me a couple of times. Just reminded me to pay more attention

I would say consider the Sirius and/or HK sound. I added the Sirius last minute, I wouldn't be without it now.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:05 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
ericblz,

Welcome to NAM Tons of good info here and as you will find out everyone has an opinion

Earl

Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ericblz

TOTAL COMBINED $28,429
Welcome to NAM

Wow, almost $29K....

Best of Luck

Old 12-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO, I don't like the chrome with the CR/B. I think this color demands a "meaner" look. Likewise on the interior, I would rather see the monochromatic look. Of course that is the opinion of one, and this is going to be your car, and you should order it the way you like. Usually, your first impressions are the right impression.

Also regarding the floor mats, my MA gave me mats at no cost.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:30 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Here are some chili red / black photos for you

Old 12-09-2005, 01:45 PM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
under no circumstances would I order a new mini without LSD. Period. with everything else you're getting, $550 can't break your budget... and if it does just knock off the chrome exterior and convenience package.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:47 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Ryder
IMHO, I don't like the chrome with the CR/B. I think this color demands a "meaner" look. Likewise on the interior, I would rather see the monochromatic look. Of course that is the opinion of one, and this is going to be your car, and you should order it the way you like. Usually, your first impressions are the right impression.

Also regarding the floor mats, my MA gave me mats at no cost.
WHAT ?!!! Chrome is COOOL

Old 12-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I agree with theroyalwe. . . ditch the parking sensors (if you can't parallel park a MINI then you need driver's ed. not PDC) and spend the money on the LSD!

I would also add the rear fog light so you don't have a cheap looking plastic plug in place of the light fixture.

I am also not a big fan of my automatic climate control. We skipped it when we ordered my wife's new Cooper and I wish I had her setup instead of mine. . .

Your MINI is going to be awesome!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
indimini
4th Gear
Are you doing the anthracite headliner w/ the anthracite dash?

Unlike what some others have said, I think the convenience pkg meets that definition. I really like the auto dimming mirror and GDO. The auto wipers/lights I could do without.

Have you sat in a car with the center armrest? Seems like $200 for that piece is overkill, but I've never had one in either of my MINI's. So, you could swap armrest and PDC for the LSD.

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you finally decide. The car looks like it will be awesome.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Originally Posted by indimini
So, you could swap armrest and PDC for the LSD.

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you finally decide. The car looks like it will be awesome.
It is such a personal thing. I'd never load mine up wth all that stuff. Just makes it go slower, but I can certainly understand why some people would. The only thing I'd say is that I'd second the LSD. A must have IMO and not easily or at least cheaply added at a later date.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have to say a LSD is a great thing to order & at $500 it's a bargain. Trouble is you can't get one on an auto equipped MCS.

Your car sounds nice to me. You've got the kitchen sink package there. There are lots of things that I wouldn't pay extra for, but it's your MINI & it will make you happy however you spec it.

Chuck

Old 12-09-2005, 02:37 PM
iwantonetoo
1st Gear
LSD & Auto

Oops, sorry, missed the post above. Was gonna say that you can't get the LSD on an auto. Your MINI sounds really MINI-licious though. As far as the PDC goes, my convertible has it and it's handy because visibility is awful with huge blind spots when the top is up. Maybe in a coupe it's not necessary because visibility is better.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Ooops hadn't realized you couldn't get LSD on the auto. Oh well, better budget an extra $2K for a Quaiffe if you have to have that slushbox !

Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
Just ordered mine a few weeks ago, it is on a boat now:
" Have you sat in a car with the center armrest?" That is the advice I got that you better sit in one too. The reason is to make sure it does not get in the way. I was advised it can get in the way depending on your body build.
I did the anthracite headliner w/ the anthracite dash after seeing the headliner - very sporty looking and I had a very tight budget, but thought it was worth the $200.
Did you see the rear seats with the red/black interior? I was going this route till I saw a photo somewhere of the almost all red back seats, w/ very little black leather - not the look I was wanting, also thought some more about cloth care, and all the other stuff I can get with the $800.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:21 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rjmann
It is such a personal thing. I'd never load mine up wth all that stuff. Just makes it go slower, but I can certainly understand why some people would.
Your right. Its a personal thing. They percentage of ppl who care about performance is very small compared to the masses

To each their own

Old 12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Go to cocomats.com and see i f you like the look.I have the blk And red mats,really improves the interior.Q

Old 12-09-2005, 03:29 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
I would also add the rear fog light so you don't have a cheap looking plastic plug in place of the light fixture.
Where were you in October when I order my MCS! This is the only thing i'd do differently if I had to do it again. Apparently the fog lamps aren't pre-wired so adding it at the dealer is 6 hours labor plus parts! damn.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:20 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rollin
Just ordered mine a few weeks ago, it is on a boat now:
" Have you sat in a car with the center armrest?" That is the advice I got that you better sit in one too. The reason is to make sure it does not get in the way. I was advised it can get in the way depending on your body build.
I did the anthracite headliner w/ the anthracite dash after seeing the headliner - very sporty looking and I had a very tight budget, but thought it was worth the $200.
Did you see the rear seats with the red/black interior? I was going this route till I saw a photo somewhere of the almost all red back seats, w/ very little black leather - not the look I was wanting, also thought some more about cloth care, and all the other stuff I can get with the $800.
I know you don't need anymore input but I agree with the above re: double checking the armrest (some have said it moves, not solid, don't like it) and if you change your mind youc an add it later. Also onboard with the anthracite headliner (we've had both and just love having the black now and how it effects the interior look and feel). Lastly I went through the same thing with the red interior and in the end, when I saw the all red fabric rear seat didn't love it and felt it lacking, esp considering how little leather there is, for $800. After seeing and feeling everything I went all leather, an expensive option but it was great in the 03 and continues to be a lovely luxury in the 05.

So many things are personal choices and I won't go through them all, but I can tell you that if you regularly back into yoru garage or parking spaces you will love the PDC

Lastly, get the floor mats, and any other add-ons, at a discount from Classic and save yourself a few bucks

Old 12-09-2005, 05:22 PM
eVal
6th Gear
PS: For $100 you won't regret getting the rear fog light; very handy in bad weather and for tailgaters and gives you that full toggle set

Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by JRZYMINI
Where were you in October when I order my MCS! This is the only thing i'd do differently if I had to do it again. Apparently the fog lamps aren't pre-wired so adding it at the dealer is 6 hours labor plus parts! damn.
I'm sorry. . . . wish I had remembered to tell you way back in October. . . I guess I was just pre-occupied with becoming a 2 MINI family

Old 12-09-2005, 05:43 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JRZYMINI
Just wondering if you have looked into having somebody other than the dealer do it for you?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:24 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Sounds like a good build, really close to mine (except mine's not automatic).
I'd get the Anthracite headliner, I love mine with the Anthracite dash! I think it will really look stunning with the octagon red seats.
No need for the Park thing unless you get a cabrio, the visibility is great with the hard top. I currently have a loaner cabrio with the PDC, while it is useful in the cabrio, I find it annoying and it would really bug me full time.
Skip the factory armrest, it just gets in the way, go with the Elbow Landing Pad.
The floormats from the dealer aren't anything special, go to cocomats.com. A great look for the MINI and very substantial mats with a beautiful look. Another option is GGBailey.com, they have really fun mats as well, I'm about to order a set of those so I can switch between the coco mats and the
ggbailey ones for fun.
Rear fog light is a good option, fills in the toggle bank. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it really looks odd when you see one missing a toggle or two.
Chrome is a personal thing, I got the chrome packages on mine and love it. With your color combo I think you could go black or chrome and be happy either way.
Have fun re-thinking your order....again!
Annette

Quick Reply: Last review of my build for '06 Coupe