1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions (Kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 PM
iwantonetoo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Impressions (Kinda)

Now that I've had my MINI for nearly a month, I thought I'd write a bit about my impressions so far, as an a non-gearhead/wrench monkey/car nut, etc. It's unlikely that my MINI will ever be modded, raced, or customized. I'm probably not going to agonize over cleaning products or ever change the oil myself. I'm just a typical driver and to me my MINI is just a car - a really fun car with it's own MINI personality, but still just a car. I don't really know a heck of a lot (ok anything) about cars but if anyone out there is wondering what it's like to be a non-expert MINI owner, here's what I've discovered so far:

What I Love About My MINI

It looks great and it's unusual. It's a real head turner. People smile when they see it. Kids absolutely love it. They point it out to their parents excitedly when I drive by. Teenagers wave to me and yell out compliments. It's usually (though not always) the only MINI in the parking lot. If there's another MINI I try to park next to it or at least near it. I have never seen another MINI like mine around here. I have seen about a bazillion other SUV's just like mine - and I mean exactly like mine.

It's a ton of fun to drive. My other vehicle is a huge behemoth with cushy everything. My MINI is a little zippy, road hugging, marvel. If I'm on the freeway and need a bit of extra oomph to get by that truck or whatever, it's got it. The automatic transmission seems very smooth and efficient so far. It even knows when to shift down when I'm going down a big steep hill. The steering is wonderfully responsive - no worries about hitting those potholes or hubcabs. It's really fun to zoom around corners and curves.

It fits in my garage!!!!! Easily!!!! With room to spare!!!!! Mmmm seat warmers - I suppose one could live without them, but why? The sport seats are comfy too. It's easy for my kids to scoot in and out of the rear seats and so far there's plenty of room for them back there. I love the way the doors swing out extra wide. Garage door opener. The gorgeous folio with the owner's manual in it and the road atlas. Very nice. The trunk is surprisingly roomy (although my son's baritone won't fit in it ) and I like the way it opens down like the liftgate on a truck. The leather is very nice and the interior styling is very chic and distinctive for the most part. I like the doorhandles - inside and out, the gauges (chrono), the little row of switches, the styling of the mirrors, and the locking glove box, which is huge.

Ok, now to be honest....

What's not so great about my MINI

The worst thing about my MCSCa is the visibility. There are huge blind spots and sometimes backing out of a parking spot or changing lanes feels like a leap of faith. I find myself shoulder checking repeatedly. One good thing about that is that I pay way more attention to the vehicles around me at all times. I do wish I could see a bit better though.

And finally...

What's somewhat annoying about my MINI but no big deal

The dash rattles a bit. The driver's side seat belt is "sticky" and doesn't suck itself back in without me feeding it in. The one big cup holder is, well, stupid. The armrest is um, cheesy. The other cup holders are way too small.

All in all, after getting acquainted with my MINI, I think it's a keeper. I can hardly wait 'til summer...

Old 12-09-2005, 03:37 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as your happy, thats ALL that matters!

Pics? Where are the PICs?

Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by iwantonetoo

The worst thing about my MCSCa is the visibility. There are huge blind spots and sometimes backing out of a parking spot or changing lanes feels like a leap of faith. I find myself shoulder checking repeatedly. One good thing about that is that I pay way more attention to the vehicles around me at all times. I do wish I could see a bit better though.
You are in luck because there is actually almost no no such thing as a "blind spot". . . there are only incorrectly adjusted side mirrors!

Check this out and your blind spots will be gone! You just have to re-learn how to use your mirrors. I started doing this a few years ago and it is fantastic!

Follow these instructions and say good bye to the blind spots!

Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Great write up...glad you are enjoying your top down experience so far. Dash rattles can be fixed... Yucca gave you good info. on the blind spot issue....and now - yes - we want to see pictures.....

Donna

Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
And take out that horrible cupholder and get the old style one

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...29&SortOrder=1

I had the 06 cupholder out of mine before it even left the dealership. I kept my 04 cupholder and already have it in the car.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:38 PM
xtremepsionic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
You are in luck because there is actually almost no no such thing as a "blind spot". . . there are only incorrectly adjusted side mirrors!

Check this out and your blind spots will be gone! You just have to re-learn how to use your mirrors. I started doing this a few years ago and it is fantastic!

Follow these instructions and say good bye to the blind spots!
Yep, I used to have a fishy eye mirror before I had the MINI, I didn't want to put a fishy eye on the MINI, so I adjusted the mirror just like the above link (hehe I didn't even realize there was a guide out there!), all blind spots are gone now. It takes a little while to get used to, but I can tell you it works great.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Risu
6th Gear

When I first went to the dealership I laughed at the idea of a back-up sensor in a MINI, but then the MA explained to me it was for the convertibles as they tend to have some blindspot issues. But yah, play with your mirrors and you should find it a lot better.

Glad you are enjoying the MINI and only have a few gripes with it,

Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 PM
lotsie
Banned
Glad to see you are hooked on your MINI

It does not go away, every motor is FUN

Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great evaluation.

The worst thing about my MCSCa is the visibility... I find myself shoulder checking repeatedly. One good thing about that is that I pay way more attention to the vehicles around me at all times.

The one big cup holder is, well, stupid.
My problem with visibility is looking for the green traffic light (way up there), but you have a convertible!
I put my camera, lens down, in that cup holder.
And I always drive extremely defensively, like playing keep away (from me).
Happy Motoring!

Old 12-10-2005, 04:00 AM
indimini
4th Gear
The one place mirror set up doesn't help on the convertibles is when you are trying to back out of a parking space between two SUV's or Minivans. The lack of a rear side window makes it virtually impossible to see that you have nobody coming down the lane in the lot. The PDC has saved my MINI's rear a couple of times on these occasions. Simply parking further away in empty spots or making sure I can pull forward vs. back out works everytime.

Other than that, I agree - proper mirror adjustment makes for no blind spots while driving.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:37 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I thought that kind of mirror placement was a no-brainer. I didn't learn it anywhere, I've just always done it like that. Good for me I guess. Good that others "learn" it eventually.

Parking - I always pull through first if possible or back into a spot. This is the safest way to park (statistically proven) because no one is zooming by you blindly and you always head out of the parking spot with a full front view of the action when they do zoom by you. Granted I've had people dive into a parking spot I was backing into but it's easier to avoid hitting them instead of them hitting me if I back out of a spot. That and some good anger management practices keep anyone from getting hurt . Backing out of a spot while they zoom by ... I'm not in control of their speed, that and I'm very blind in this cabrio.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:15 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gr8 advice

Originally Posted by Gr8Force
... was a no-brainer. I didn't learn it anywhere, I've just always done it like that. Parking - I always pull through first if possible or back into a spot. This is the safest way to park...

...That and some good anger management practices keep anyone from getting hurt .
My first choice is to back into (after scanning 360 deg.) a parking spot, or my driveway.

I need some "good anger management practices" myself. What thread is that?

Old 12-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
My problem with visibility is looking for the green traffic light (way up there), but you have a convertible!
I have this problem with the top up, like today when it is 10 degrees outside.

I saw this mentioned on a previous thread and am thinking about getting one.
www.lightinsight.com

Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 AM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka
I have this problem with the top up, like today when it is 10 degrees outside.

www.lightinsight.com
I have had one for over a year.It works great. It will take a little time to get use to it because as you drive you will look at it and mostly see sky or trees. Now, I don't even know it is there--except at overhead traffic lights.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka
www.lightinsight.com
Best $15 you can spend on your car. And I have to admit - Click & Clack taught me how to adjust the mirrors. '05MCSC and no blind spots.