1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Week 4 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More good things about the MINI

I rarely get out of the office for lunch but I have the feeling that is going to change. I ran out to Pep Boys to get a can of Fix A Flat so my wife will feel better about me putting the new wheels and non-runflats on tonight. Then grabbed a sandwich before heading back to the office. Coming out of the parking lot I chirped the front tires without even trying. Couldn't get the silly grin off of my face.

One more pic from delivery.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluzeke
Greetings all . . . just trying to breathe some life into the ol' increasingly geriatric "4" thread. Who's driving, who's on the verge, and who's still clueless?
I took a LOOOONG 4-day car trip to Pittsburgh and upper PA this past weekend to see family and help burn off the break-in mileage. On returning home, I have only 30 more miles to go to 1250. I can't see myself "horsing" the car soon, however, since the current performance below 4500 revs is giving me all the white knuckles I need for now.

The car was "christened" with her first rock chips on the PA Turnpike - about 5 or 6 tiny chips the size of a pinpoint and one the size of a pinhead. I decided not to do the clear bra but may change my mind now - none of my prior cars ever had rock damage but I don't want to constantly be worrying about this. When the weather warms up, I will get the touch-up paint and rubbing compound out - should be a small job. Still, it helped take the pressure off - Maggie is no virgin anymore and I can stop worrying about each fingerprint !!

I REALLY have to watch it in keeping her performance in bounds. Even with the Cabrio, the visual, vibration, and audible clues just keep deceiving me about the speed I am reaching. Getting her to 70 feels like 40 used to in the old SUV - and on a long winding interstate downhill I looked down to see my speed in three digits (could swear that I was still less than 4500 revs so it must have been a hell of a downhill). Speed feels so solid that it is just too easy to go there !!! However, realistically, I feel as though I can drive defensively now in a way I never could before - when a truck tries to pull over into your lane, you can blip the car out of danger in a flash. I could never get my old vehicles to respond so quickly.

Best fun was taking my sister and her kids on a famous twisty and hilly road near Pittsburgh that they nickname "Baja Road" - but they always do it in an SUV. All three of them were white when we reached the end - and were all reciting lines from the "G-Face" commercial!!! Man that was fun. Brakes and control were solid but I felt like I was pushing the Cabrio suspension to the limit - will certainly think about that sway bar now....

I am having a total blast with the car - and it has now become a major element of my personal anti-depressant regimine!!

Bill

Old 03-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Absolutely repair those chips and install a clear bra. My '02 had chips all over the front after 3.5 years and I had bras done on both the front and the rear bumper before I even picked up the '06.....well worth it.

You're right about the sway bar. It's one of the best mods you can do.....makes the twisties lots safer and lots more fun.

Glad to hear you're having such a blast.....but take it easy. The clear bra won't help either the car or the family if you crash it.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Hooligan620
1st Gear
So as the Production Week 4 comes to an end, I for one will remember it as a place where we watched our Minis hatch, shared our worries as they travelled across the pond, and finally the place where we showed our excitment on delivery day (even those who took delivery in the massive east coast snow storm).

I hope to see all of you in other NAM forums and better yet out motoring!

Steve A.
Seattle WA

Old 03-10-2006, 10:56 AM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Same to you and all our mates Hooligan! Can't imagine this would've been as fun or easy to take without all the support. A blossoming Spring and a new car - don't think it gets any better than this!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
MINI fun discovery #252

Round-a-bouts are a lot of fun. Especially when you can't decide which side street to take and have to go around a few times before deciding.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
It hit the low 70's here today. Did a Dawn wash and got a some layers of
Zaino (two of Z2 with ZFX and and two of Z6) applied. The Mini is sparkling
and the final touch is now complete. I love it, I love it, I love it!

Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
MINI not-so-fun discovery #1

FWD w/ summer tires <> AWD w/ summer tires

We had very icy roads here in Denver yesterday morning. The MINI had been great in the snow about a week ago so I didn't think much about it as I pulled out of the driveway. Going up a hill near my house, Maggie started to struggle and the DSC was kicking in constantly, which takes some getting used to. Basically the engine revs kept dropping off around 1K and I was putting up the hill at about 10mph. I tried taking off the DSC and couldn't get any traction. OK, time to take her home and drive the WRX to work. Got into a parking lot and turned around, started down this slight hill out of the parking lot and start to slide. Oh sh*t, I quickly realize that the car probably isn't going to stop and the one lane exit bears to the right because it's a right turn only exit. In hindsight, I foolishly still had the wheel turned to the right slightly, hoping Maggie would get grip and we could slide out onto the side street. No luck and I hit the curb and come to a jarring stop.

Oh boy, that probably did some damage. Well, let's get her home and see what happens. She drives pretty well but I can tell that the suspension is messed up some. I get her home and inspect the damage. My new Kosei K1 has some serious curb rash and will have to be replaced. The wheel seems a little bent but can't tell the damage.

I get in the WRX (with snows) and get to work no problem. Call MINI roadside assistance to get towed to the dealer and call Discount Tire to see what snows they have in stock. This late in the season, no one has much but the guy calls back and someone just turned in a set of Yoko Iceguards with 3/4 tread left. That will work, go home to meet the towtruck driver and Maggie is off to the dealer on a flatbed. Drop off my webspokes at Discount Tire to get snowshoes and back to work. Pick up the wheels after work to have put on Maggie once she's out of the shop.

Fast forward to this morning when the dealer calls with the diagnosis. Bent subframe and misc. suspension parts. $3K - 3.5K damage. Ouch! Expensive lesson learned. Now have to get the old insurance company involved, etc. First accident I've been involved in, in like 17-18 years. No one else involved, just foolish old me with my summer tires on an an icy road. Well, I've got that first ding out of the way and I won't have to be as cautious with her going forward.

Could have posted a new thread on this one but thought I'd embarrasingly post it here with my fellow Week 4'ers.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Oh no! Poor Maggie I guess in the realm of all things that could have happened, the damage isn't that horrid. She'll be fixed and back to normal in no time. Its still tough to see your (still fresh from the showroom) baby all bruised up. Best of luck with the repairs!

I'm not a fan of taking Grimace out in the snow. I always take his driveway mate, the Audi, when its snowy/icy.

Herby74 - LOVE Zaino! I'm jealous that you got a chance to get it out and shine up the MINI.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Bummer. Sorry to hear about your MINI.

One day when I was living in denver (DiD comes from when I lived in Denver for those that didn't know. DiD = Dave in Denver), I headed out to work in my MINI with my Falken Azenis. There wasn't even any snow really sticking to the ground, it was just really cold and a bit slippery. All DSC all the way down the street. I turned around, went home and got my Jetta VR6 with the Hakka Q snows. MUCH better. I felt really lucky to make it back in my MINI without nicking a parked car or a fire hydrant.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about Maggie - best of luck. That's why I hate performance tires. I'm like Stefanie, I've been reluctant to take Emma out (at least the first year) in crummy weather. Having kept the Subaru for the cargo capacity, I revert to that on bad weather days.
I turned over 1000 miles yesterday, will eclipse the magical 1250 by the end of the week.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:06 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
I only got two days of driving on my summer tires after I took delivery before we got snow. I went ahead and bolted up the Blizzak Revo 1's. This is definately the way to go for winter driving, my MCS was so stable and very predictable in the snow and ice!! I'm back to the summer time rubber now, crossing my fingers, hoping the roads will stay clear of freezing stuff from here on out.....

Jason

Old 03-14-2006, 12:29 PM
SweetTea
2nd Gear
Long overdue update ... I know I am waaaaay behind

my fellow Week 4'ers ...

Stevie (2006 MCS RG/S) arrived sometime after February 12. I say "sometime" because my beloved husband, age 33, died unexpectedly and suddenly on February 12.

So, needless to say, the MINI was the furthest thing from my mind. I sort of dropped off of everyone's radar screens, understandably so.

In any case, my MA at Moritz has been awesome these last few weeks. I really agonized about taking delivery of Stevie, because my husband died without a will or life insurance, and our household income has now been cut in half. But, after crunching some numbers and speaking with some advisors, I've decided to go ahead and do it.

Actually, Stevie was mentioned in my husband's eulogy. My husband was very much into motorsports (he died on a track), and I was not. But the entire MINI ordering process had given us some true common ground these last few months, and we were * both * so excited about the new car.

I have actually not taken delivery of Stevie just yet. Will probably pick him up Friday. He is at the dealer's vendor today to get window tint and Venture Tape (like InvisiShield) applied. They are also going to install the custom stripes for me, which are supposed to arrive tomorrow (Wednesday). Pictures of the stripes from AesthetiCreations below.

Other options I've bought this past week include the XM Direct satellite radio (goes where the CD changer would, so it truly is integrated into the factory radio), a stubby antenna, and a glove box and center console tidy.

Would be curious if anyone thinks the Extended Warranties are a true value. I know those things are usually just large profit centers for the dealer, and I don't plan on putting Stevie through many hard miles. Also, I'm 200 miles from the dealer, and I am assuming all Extended Warranty service would have to be performed there and not, say, at an independent shop.

Will post more when I actually pick Stevie up, including pics at time of delivery. I can't wait ... in a time of immense darkness, the thought of Stevie does put a smile on my face, even if it is a bit bittersweet. And I know I am now hopelessly behind the rest of the Week 4 crowd, but look forward to remaining in touch!

Old 03-14-2006, 02:47 PM
docjohnboy
3rd Gear
SweetTea, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your husband passed while doing something he loved. Good luck with everything, and enjoy Stevie.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Oh, SweatTea, you have my deepest, most heartfelt condolences - so very sorry to hear about your husband. I hope Stevie helps to put some little amount of joy back into your life.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
SweetTea, I am so sorry about your husband. My thoughts are with you.

I hope that Stevie brings a little happiness into your life. He sounds like a handsome fellow and may be a sibling of my Maggie. My feeling is the Extended warranties are not worth it at all.

Take care.

John

Old 03-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Sweet Tea.....very sorry about the loss of your husband. I hope your new Mini creates some of the light you'll need to help you get through this. You know where to find the Week 4 crew if you need us during your time of mourning.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Sweet Tea - I am stunned by your loss and wish for you all the strength you need to forge a way through this. I think it's great that you've found a way to make your new MINI a part of that journey. Please keep us updated on how you and Stevie do. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by the "powers" of this silly little car.

On the Extended Warranty . . . Save your money for those things that will happen, not those that might happen. (.02)

Old 03-14-2006, 07:35 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
Sweat Tea, I too am very sorry for your loss. You always have all of us to talk to if you need anything.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:27 AM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
God Bless you and keep a clear head as to what is important. Always do things you love

Old 03-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
ImaVDB.....with the weather you get in CO it might be best to lose the runflats. I did this after 18,000 mi. on my '02 and switched to BF Goodrich Traction T/A, V-rated all-season non-runflats.....highly rated by Tire Rack for wet driving conditions. For an emergency, I bought an MC doughnut spare which sits behind the driver's seat in a sturdy blue canvas bag with handles .....made by JerseyGirl. I did the same right off the bat on my new one. What a difference!

Also, yes. I was fortunate to have gotten a window of some mild temperatures here. I was curious about how different the car would look with a couple of coats of Z2 vs. the new showroom look. Amazing! Zaino still produced a shine beyond compare.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Wow, I too am very sorry to hear about your loss Sweet Tea. My condolences to you and your family.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
ImaVDB.....with the weather you get in CO it might be best to lose the runflats. I did this after 18,000 mi. on my '02 and switched to BF Goodrich Traction T/A, V-rated all-season non-runflats.....highly rated by Tire Rack for wet driving conditions. For an emergency, I bought an MC doughnut spare which sits behind the driver's seat in a sturdy blue canvas bag with handles .....made by JerseyGirl. I did the same right off the bat on my new one. What a difference!
I'm in Michigan but yes, I agree. The runflats are leaving soon. Weeks before Grimace arrived I bought a set of 18" OZ Superleggeras w/ performace tires. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know which tires.. but they're sure to be an improvement over the runflats. I also have a set of dedicated snow tires from my old Cooper. It just didnt make sense to put them on with winter coming to an end and an A4 to drive in bad weather. Bring on spring

SweetTea - very sorry to hear about your loss. While something like a MINI may seem trivial right now, hopefully Stevie will bring a much needed smile to your face. With stripes like that, it can't help but brighten anyones day.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
In error, I must have glanced at Wharf rat's location. Still, you must get a good bit of snow in Michigan too. My, what BIG wheels you have!

Hey, everyone else.....we've got to keep this thread going at least until we
reach quadruple digits!

Old 03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I bought an MC doughnut spare which sits behind the driver's seat in a sturdy blue canvas bag with handles .....made by JerseyGirl
I got a pair of tire covers (seasonal totes) from Morristownmini.com for $16 + shipping and tax. What stuff they have on the website is at 20% off - these MINIs and their accessories are going to bankrupt me ! I've beautified Twiggy with checkerboard outside mirror covers - now my wife wants the inside mirror covered to match! Oh, well, better than spending it on the kids or leaving it to them !

Quick Reply: Production Week 4 Support Group