1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Week 4 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ASK MINI told me that the expected length of production is 12 days. So, the car officially goes into production that many days before the expected date of completion. Several days ago I learned that my Mini was scheduled for completion by Jan. 30 and it showed up as scheduled for production with a VIN# on the MiniUSA website on Jan. 18.......very consistent.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImaVunDerBrah
Emailed my MA. Everything is fine with my interior. Panic is gone.... for now

Hooligan620 & earthtoandy - Congrats on the VINs!!
thanks, when are you planning to pickup your car? Cause we might end up being there around the same time. I know our cars are being produced at the same time and my VIN is just 20 digits lower than yours! they are basically twins

Old 01-20-2006, 09:34 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I havent really figured out when I'm going to pick him up. I have a friend that was going to fly into town and go with me, then help me install lots of stuff once we got home. In order to get the ticket we need to know when it'll be here... but right now all I know is 'late Feb, early March.'

How are you planning your ticket? Just booking a bit late and (not so)patiently waiting?

I think any cars coming over on the same boat are brothers and sisters. Since we're coming from the same dealership, they are definately twins.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
exactly!

i am going the first weekend in march. Julie and I talked it over and its the best to be cautious. My friend Alan just got his from Classic and they planned for him to come right when it was due.... some shipping delays happened and it wouldnt of been there on time if Julie didnt bust her butt to make it happen. So we decided to play it cautiously.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Man..it must really be terrible to have to book flights around the delivery of your cars....My biggest concern is the weather...with the non all-season performance tires do I drive it home, or do I bring the car trailer if it's snowy :-P.... I just talked to ASKMINI again, the story this time is that my car did not actually go into production on the 16th, he said he expects it to go into actual production today, I should call back on Mondy for an update.

Jason

Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
My friend doesnt HAVE to come into town... but I'd really like him to be there Plus, he can install my wheels, aero grille, side skirts and trim

Earthtoandy - That was my plan. I havent talked to Julie yet but I'm thinking March 4th (is that the saturday?) would be ideal. Do you know if they're open/do deliveries on Saturday?? If so, we might be there on the same day!

Jason - OH NO! I'm so sorry! Its only a day or two after a few of ours though so hopefully they'll all be on the same boat.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
SCIFF
1st Gear
Don't think I am week 4, but I've been reading your thread. I ordered my MINI from Mini of Sterling on Nov 30 and it just (I believe) went into production on Jan 17th. Should I have an issue???

Thanks

Old 01-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SCIFF
Don't think I am week 4, but I've been reading your thread. I ordered my MINI from Mini of Sterling on Nov 30 and it just (I believe) went into production on Jan 17th. Should I have an issue???

Thanks
Don't think so. I ordered around the time you did and my production date was Jan 18 - I think many of us were slowed with whatever is being done at the plant. You may want to check the shipping lines with your VIN number to see if they are tracking it - it MAY be on my ship since I noticed that after New York, the Elektra hits Baltimore, Charlotte, and the Panama Canal....

Bill

Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jasonsmf
Man..it must really be terrible to have to book flights around the delivery of your cars....My biggest concern is the weather...with the non all-season performance tires do I drive it home, or do I bring the car trailer if it's snowy :-P
Dont worry about it! my friend just drove back in december from ohio... no trouble. The MINI is great in the snow. Just be cautious

Yeah I am probably going on the 3rd, which is friday, and getting it that day. I am sure they do stuff on saturday.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Hooligan620
1st Gear
I've started to obsess about my Mini... With an anticipated January 27 completion date I went to the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Website to see which boats are leaving for California closest to my car being finished. I then added the 23 day boat trip, and estimated the time it would take for the car to clear the port facility, be trucked to Salt Lake and be ready for presentation at the dealer. My best guess is I'll pick up my Mini March 15th.

Wallwnius Wilhelmsen Website Tracking (say that three times fast)
http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppSche...countryList.do

Old 01-21-2006, 03:12 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
I’m IN . . . Got a VIN . . . Now I’m OUT

Ever since setting foot onto the fresh asphalt of the new MINI dealership that opening day in the Spring of ‘02 here in Baltimore, I knew this was the car for me. Regrettably though, for reasons ranging from the usual to the downright silly, life has continually stepped up and said, “ I’m sorry my son, but that dream car will have to wait”. In that long meantime I’ve made regular stops at the dealer to “check inventory”, get some seat time, meet yet another MA, and add to what surely must be a Guinness Record stack of MINI literature. When I wasn’t at the dealer, I was lurking online, scouring every website, list serve and blog remotely related to the MINI. With regularity, I was convinced I’d now designed my perfect MINI - then, lo and behold, a new color or interior would be introduced and the dreaming would start all over again. Maybe, after all this time, the thrill was in the hunt. I began to wonder if perhaps I could just be content with the pleasure my radio control MINI brought me. Perhaps just wanting it and lurking on the periphery of the culture was becoming enough! YIKES!

Then, the ‘06 models were introduced and it soon became clear that these would be the zenith of the first generation MINIs. Who knows how long it would take to “sort out” the growing pains of the next generation MINI. Could I go through this angst all over again? Clearly it was time to either pull the trigger or put down this gun.

So last month, on Saturday Dec. 17, much to the slack-jawed surprise of my MA, I actually ordered my MINI. Now, like everyone here, I’m chompin’ at the bit, playing the waiting game. Technically by the website it seems I’m still “On Order”, but last evening, Marty at Ask MINI informed me I now had a VIN and would be a part of Production Week 4, with a start build date of 1/23 and a finish of 1/31. And I just verified that the automated Ask MINI voice tells me that my car is now “in production”! And I also know, at least amongst this cadre of friends, I won’t be certifiable when I now start checking the shipping line sites trying to guess which boat will bring me my little bluzeke.

David

2006 SB/S MCS JCW - Tartan Red/Black w/ Seven Int. & Anthracite Headliner, Armrest, HK sound, Premium, Sport & Cold Weather packages, LSD, Rear Fog, and Silver Bonnet Stripe.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:56 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
yay! a VIN

Old 01-21-2006, 07:33 PM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by earthtoandy
Yeah I am probably going on the 3rd, which is friday, and getting it that day. I am sure they do stuff on saturday.
I will be making a similar journey to Cleveland. I think I'm going to wait to book my flight till later to try and minimize the wait. It will most likely be on a long weekend. Maybe we will be motoring back west around the same time.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:23 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Getting an '06 MCS has been thrust upon me as the result of an accident in which my '02 was totalled. What's amazing is that insurance paid me $21,800 for a 3 yr./4 mo. old car that I bought for $25,200 in Sept/'02. So it cost me $85/mo. to own it. Nice deal!

I think that '02 buyers who get into an '06 are making a good choice. Especially, if they prefer the current model to the what they see coming in '07. I'm looking ahead and very excited about the improved performance and more solid build that I'm told comes with the '05's and '06's. Choices have improved too.....armrest, JCW intake, limited slip, HKardon, new color and stripe scheme, among other pleasing changes.....all have me feeling re-energized about the Mini experience.

It continues to be a happy experience and even gets better. So, happy motoring to everyone in the Week 4 Support Group.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:03 PM
SweetTea
2nd Gear
A VIN here too! Woohoo!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
When I waited for my '02, support groups consisted of everyone whose car was in the same month of production. Today I'm certain that the assembly process of The Silver Dart II has begun.

The exterior features will be....ds/ds with white shelby stripes through the middle of the bonnet, roof, boot and r. bumper....white side-view mirrors.... silver M7 lower front grill....silver v-spoke wheels, B.F. Goodrich Traction T/A, v-rated all-season non-runflats (205/50/16). I have also tinkered with new looks for the interior and performance. Can't wait.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:30 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I wonder what color distrubtion we have... I took a quick scroll through the thread and came up with 2 CR, 1 PH, 1 BRG, 1 AB, 2 HB, 1 DS, 1 SB, 1 PW and 1 RG so far.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:55 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
Called ASK-MINI, and my car is in the body shop

Old 01-23-2006, 06:58 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
^^ ditto. Just called. They said it entered the body shop today.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
You guys spurred me on to check - I'm in the paint shop. I was all excited on Friday afternoon when I called and used the automated response. It told me that my mini was at the port awaiting transport. I called later and was told that it is still in production - turns out I transposed two digits on my earlier call ARGGGH . I need help kicking this addiction....

Old 01-23-2006, 07:30 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
What's the production order? Paint shop, then? then? Or Body shop then paint shop then...?

Just found out that one of our local club members is going to be on The Liberty. Not his car... HE will be on it. He works on the ships (not quite sure what thats called). Sadly, with a production date of 1/28, I think I'll miss Liberty by just one day.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
My production date is 1/27 so I'm hopeful of catching the Liberty. I printed out Liberty's voyage details on Friday morning. I wish I knew the production states, the paint shop status has been the first status I received since going into production on 1/16.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:54 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Just looked at the faqs on mini2.com. Here are the steps in the life cycle of a mini order:

037 Order is at BMW NA
[ON ORDER]
087 Production Week Assigned
097 Order sent to factory
111 Order Accepted at factory
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
[SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION]
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
182 Released to Carrier
[AWAITING TRANSPORTATION]
193 Arrived at Port of Exit
[RECEIVED AT TERMINAL]
194 Selected for Shipment
[LOADED ON VESSEL]
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
[EN ROUTE]
196 Shipment Arrival
[DISCHARGED]

We still have a ways to go in the build cycle...

Old 01-23-2006, 08:10 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
To anyone who will be on The Liberty or thinks they will be on Liberty, I just talked to our club member who will be working on the ship. He said if we pass along our MINI info, he can look for the cars and take pics. Given how obsessed I've become with this tracking process, I'd LOVE pics of my MINI on the ship

If your interested, PM me with specifics of your car... i.e. Cooper or S, Body color, roof color, VIN and any identifying specifics like sunroof or bonnet stripes. These should help him pick out our cars from the mass of MINIs.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Larkin W.
2nd Gear
I may be on the Liberty. When I call Ask-Mini they still say ours is in the paint shop which is where its been since Thursday... Our production is scheduled for completion on the 25th, which makes me think that our MINI will be boarding the Liberty on Friday.

Quick Reply: Production Week 4 Support Group