1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying out of State........How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
jimmyjoejimbob
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying out of State........How does it work?

Ok, for those of you that helped with the last thread from me about buying a MINI, thank you. I have decided that 7-10 months is too long, so I contacted an out of state dealer. My question is, when you buy it from them and have them ship it, where does it go? Does it go to your door, or do they ship it to the closest dealer to me, and then I go pick it up from there? For those of you that have done this, can you tell me your experience? Was the process smooth? Just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger.

MINI Thanks

Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I'd probably pick it up so that you have that initial contact with a dealer, you go thru the car, and drive it before you cut the final check, just my .02. You can always ship it after you inspect it and fly home. Gives you some protection, especially if the transporter damages it and trys to claim he got it from the dealer that way. I am just thinking, what do those who have actually DONE IT, think?

Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 AM
hoopi
3rd Gear
I picked up TWO Mini's from Classic in Ohio back in November and brought them to California. Very easy process. Classic was super easy to work with for starters. They gave me all the papers I needed and a 30 day OH temp tag. No sales tax in OH when you take it out of state.

Once I got to CA, I took the vehicles to the DMV, they checked for the emissions sticker (has to be 50 state), I paid the DMV the sales tax (which I would pay with a local buy anyway), and they handed me my plates right there.

For CA, you need the following to register a new out of state vehicle:
  1. An appointment at the DMV Never walk in without one.
  2. Bill of sale paperwork showing the owner
  3. Temporary tag information
  4. Registration form for out of state vehicle (it's on their web site)
  5. Your check book to pay those taxes
If you are outside of CA, the process might vary so check with the DMV.

Some dealers will ship to a distribution center, others directly to your door. You get what you pay for. I know Classic said they will only ship in enclosed carriers in order to protect the vehicle. More expensive, but probably worth it.

I picked my Mini up instead. I took off a few days from work, grabbed a $130 one way ticket and I was set. Classic Mini even picked me up at the airport with all my luggage!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
If you buy from that dealer they pdi and ship to you.Normally insurance and shipping is your responsibility.Inspection by you on del to u.Any damage to car is noted by you and claimed against shipper if insurance was arranged within his ship price or your insurance if arranged with your insurance company.If you have time,you may consider driving car to your new location its cheaper and a little adventure.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
jimmyjoejimbob
1st Gear
I would be buying the car from an East Coast dealer and I live on the West Coast. It is actually cheaper for me to have them ship it (as they advertise) than it is for me to take time off work and drive it 3000 miles back home. I also would not want to do a cross country trip this time of year. This is why I ask if anyone else has had theirs shipped to them and what the experience was. I agree, I would like to be able to inspect the car first, but nobody on the West Coast that I can find has what I am looking for.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Good luck

Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 AM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
You may ask that the dealer or some trusted person goes around the car inside and out with a Digital camra and takes pics of the car before it is shiped. That way you can have a virtual tour of the car. I know the Virtual tour is something I read about on some dealers website. I dont rember which dealer, but I think it was a used car dealer. Hope you get your car soon, and without any problems.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I too found that it was cheaper to ship, that I could not afford the time off from work to go get the car, combined with the food and lodging.

If you are worried about the shipping process itself, call and ask the dealer how they ship it. Many dealers use Autolog, which is the best and safest way to go. When possible the car is put in an enclosed and flat train car, which means no weather, rocks, or vandals. After reaching the nearest train terminal, the car is then brought to your home on a flatbad, which makes it real easy. At least this is how it all happened for me, you should ask the dealer. I would never let anyone but Autolog ship my car after my experience. It was way cheaper, faster, and safer, with good customer service.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I looked into shipping, but ended up just driving mine (in February, southern route)
To answer your question - they'd deliver it wherever you want. For a price.
Depending who/how you ship, it can go by truck (open or closed) or rail. They generally go to distribution center, but for extra $, they'll drive it to your door. The location of the distribution center depends on the company you ship with. Some people recommend Autolog. Your dealer may have a recommended company.
They will NOT ship it to your local dealer. Your local dealer has nothing to do with the transaction, and given that you took your business elsewhere, would not want to.

BTW, put your location in your 'User CP' - it helps us help you.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
I do know that there are inspection companies out there that will inspect a vehicle for a fee. Or you could find someone on NAM to go have a look for you!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Driving is the best.I picked up in houston and drove it to buffalo and then up.Weather cant be bad going southern route.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had mine delivered from Classic in Ohio. It was completely painless. A couple phone calls, a couple faxes, Fedexed documents to sign. They arranged delivery and it was brought to my door. The driver told me to take all the time I needed to inspect the car before I signed off on it. It was only five days from the day I decided to buy it until it was in my garage.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We picked up our new Cooper in person at Classic in October, so I can't suggest anything about shipping. However, I am glad that you have made the wise decision not to wait on an incredibly long wait list.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:06 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Oh yeah, some shipping companies will "inspect the car for you," and some for free. This means that they would go out and take pics for you and email them before they ever pick the car up. I don't remember who, because I dont trust any companies besides Autolog, but I know some do.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
jimmyjoejimbob
1st Gear
Thanks for all the response. I did talk to the dealer and they said they ship it by rail to the nearest depot. I pick it up from there. I will have the dealer send pictures before he ships it just to make sure it looks ok even before he ships it out. The car is brand new, and does not have any miles on it, so it better be immaculate when it gets here. So far they have been very helpful, and are in the process of overnighting the docs. I will let you all know how it goes from here.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
My car was purchased from Mini of the Hamptons,was then shipped to me by Horseless Carriage to my front door.|Cannot say enough about the service provided by the dealer, and the transporter, to make this a pleasant experience.Q