1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket SIRIUS install kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 10:44 AM
hyperblueragtop
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket SIRIUS install kits

Does anyone have any suggestions for installing Sirius Sat Radio in a MSC convertible. I got it for Christmas and the standard directions don't work a MINI. I looked on my dealers website and the Sat antennas listed are all for Hardtops. I'm gonna call the dealership on Tuesday (MOML) for advise but I was hoping to get it up and running sooner. Thanks
Jim Schafer
jncspots@aol.com
2005 MCS Hyperblue ragtop.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:36 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hyperblueragtop
Does anyone have any suggestions for installing Sirius Sat Radio in a MSC convertible. I got it for Christmas and the standard directions don't work a MINI. I looked on my dealers website and the Sat antennas listed are all for Hardtops. I'm gonna call the dealership on Tuesday (MOML) for advise but I was hoping to get it up and running sooner. Thanks
Jim Schafer
jncspots@aol.com
2005 MCS Hyperblue ragtop.
What kit do you have, and what specifically are you looking for information on?

Officially the MINI kit and associated antennas are only available for the hard top, this is because the antenna base on the convertible is different from the one on the hardtop. In the MINI OEM kit, the Sirius antenna is integrated into a new antenna base which replaces the standard antenna base on the hard top. However there is no version of this base that is available for the convertible. This is why when you call your dealer they will probably tell you that Sirius is not available for the convertible, and they'll be partially correct.

Your only option is to buy a seperate Sirius antenna and place it on your dash or other location where it will get an unobstructed view of the sky. I believe others have patched in Sirius antennas purchased from other sources into the OEM unit, and I know people have installed actual aftermarket Sirius units in their convertibles.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
I installed a Sirius Sportster in our conv. Super easy! I placed the antenna next to the stock antenna base, and tucked the wire under the weatherstripping, then down between the windshield and trim, then as soon as the door area starts, it goes right between the door sill area and the left most part of the dash, right up to the Sirius receiver. Hard to describe this. If you want pictures, let me know. Me wife's out with the conv. shopping, so it may be a few hours

Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there -

There have been a number of threads on installing after-market Sirius in a Convertible, with major disucssion on situating the antenna, particularly for those folks who have NAV (which is supposed to be incompatible with Sirius but really not). Alternatives for the antenna seem to be -
  • From a boot-installed unit (those that link to the CD changer connector back there), some people have installed the antenna on the middle part of the roll bar with great results (canvas roof doesn't seem to bother the singal much but putting up and down the top may cause a drop out) - or alternatively set the antenna outside the boot door next to a tail light (which might lead to your antenna getting pilfered)
  • I read that many people have good luck with a dash install - there is a link to opening up your dash here -
http://mini.uglydoris.com/archives/000030.html
  • The most ambitious placement is up on top of your windscreen next to the existing antenna. There are some threads on accomplishing that but I haven't been able to locate them easily.
Here are some thread links on this and related topics -

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=55449
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=33079
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45370
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=39187
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=37470

And if you get the stock kit that integrates to the HK Head Unit, there are a number of discussions on accessing the CD deck coupler in the Convertible, which is more deeply hidden than the sedan -

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=57550

I have a 2006 MCSc on order and due in late Jan / early Feb. Because the car has NAV, I will be planning an aftermarket Sirius install of the stock unit in the boot - and am still mulling over where to put my antenna. Will probably be the dash but am still considering alternatives.

Hope this helps -

Bill

Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used a Panavise mount to install mine next to the center console. The antenna is located behind the stock antenna and takes a silly trip through the headliner and down to the boot and along the sides of the interior. It's been over a year so I can't remember exactly where it goes but all of my wiring is hidden. . .

Old 12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
If you decide to opt for an aftermarket antenna to go with the OEM Sirius module, I recommend the TERK product. That's what I have for my OEM Sirius (since I have Nav), and it works great. Here are the part numbers you'll need:

TERK SIR-MINI - antenna - ~US$35
TERK SIR-SP - dual-input to single-input adapter - ~US$15

I bought both of those from etronics.com. The adapter is needed because the TERK antenna is a (newer) single-input design and the OEM Sirius reciever is an older dual-input design.

Inexpensive, works great - and you can install the antenna anywhere you want to - the antenna comes with 21 feet of cable!

Old 12-28-2005, 02:18 PM
hyperblueragtop
Neutral
I Did It !!

It was a lot easier than I thought once I put my mind to it. I also didn't realize how easy the weather stripping was to remove and replace. I have the Starmate model and didn't want to suction cup it to the windshield or velcro it to the dash so I mounted it to the little coin tray by the handbrake. Suction working for now till I come up with something more permanent.
Thanks everyone for the great ideas and help.

JIM
jncspots@aol.com

Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
So, I have a quick question about this. There is no way to have Sirius and your iPOd...right? But you can do XM direct and your ipod.

Am I correct?

Thanks

Beth

Old 12-29-2005, 02:35 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by galaxygrrl
So, I have a quick question about this. There is no way to have Sirius and your iPOd...right? But you can do XM direct and your ipod.

Am I correct?

Thanks

Beth
Nope that's not correct. I've got the MINI OEM Sirius and an ICELink and it works just fine. So does the Aux.

If XM direct works with any of the various iPod adapters then so should Sirius...