1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plant Closed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 PM
JASMCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plant Closed?

Hey all,

I've been waiting impatiently for my MCS and tracking it daily on 866-ASK-MINI. They started production on December 4th, and gave an estimated completion date of December 18th. When I call now, the only update they have is "Your vehicle is currently in the paint shop, with an estimated completion date of December 18th."

I spoke with my MA who informed me that the plant isn't closed for construction, only for the holidays, and that my car should finish production on January 6th. I spoke with a representative from ASK-MINI and he informed me that the plant will be closing, but they will still be producing cars...

Who's right here? I'm ok for now, but my car will be out the door in a few days and I don't necessarily feel like driving a wagon for too long

Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you have more information than the rest of us sitting around with the same grinding concern about the situation in Oxford. Here is someting that I put in another thread -

"I am still not so sure about slipping by the shut-down. According to a piece in Motoring File, the normal "holiday shutdown" is to be entended through completion of the planned expansion -

http://motoringfile.com/2005/12/19/m...00000-in-2005/

According to this article -

"Most of this investment is in further optimisation of production capacities, allowing the plant to react to the high demand for MINI throughout the world, as well as increasing production flexibility of the various MINI model variants.

To allow this work to progress and minimise disruption to production, the plant is extending its Christmas shutdown and will re-open on 13 January 2006."

Now, I guess I am supposed to be a "Week One" person as well as my MA (and Ask MINI) both stated that my car would be assembled the first week of January and due to be leave the facility on January 18. Current status according to Ask MINI indicates that my car is in "the paint shop", which I am guessing is one of the early steps."

The interesting thing you said was that the plant would still be producing cars even though "closed". That is probably the only way that I can reconcile my car leaving production on the 18th after being assembled the ifrst week of January. I guess they must be shutting down parts of the plant and keeping things rolling in other parts.

Bill

Old 12-31-2005, 07:54 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
I put my order in for the MINI to be delivered mid February.
So I guess maybe week 4 or 5? My MA told me that the shutdown wouldnt delay my order delivery date. He wasnt sure on the actual shutdown dates.
Or even if it would effect production at all. Sounds like you know more than me!

Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
I asked my MA and he said my week #1 production date wouldn't be affected. He said I should expect my car the 3rd week of February.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:26 PM
SMC
2nd Gear
I just read a car magazine talking about a new mini S caught tseting by spy camera and also mentioned production plant Oxford plant in UK will be closed for preparation of the new mini .
The new mini as appeared in the magazine have some exterior improvement and slighty greater in lenght, all black two doors.