1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New MINI - Order to Delivery (the whole story w/ Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 04:34 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My New MINI - Order to Delivery (the whole story w/ Pics)

As I was going through the ordering process, waiting for my new MINI to be delivered, I decided to keep a diary of the events that happen through the process. Hopefully this will be helpful for others who are going through the process.<BR><BR>
This is my experience. Yours may vary based on luck (or lack thereof), location, time of the year, phase of the moon, etc.)

Good luck!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Day 0 (9/30/05): ORDER!
I live in Dallas, TX and decided to order my MINI from Moritz. I've been wanting to do this for several years and my financial situation finally became secure enough for me to place the order! My MA gave me an estimated production date around Thanksgiving, which would be around Day 55 (end of week 8). He estimated final delivery (boat to east coast of US + trucking to Dallas, TX) to be near the end of week 11 (around day 80).

Day 1 (10/1/05): Production Number received
My MA emailed my production number to me. I logged onto the MiniUSA.com Owners Lounge (the OL - https://ol.miniusa.com/oe/home.asp) and could see my car was "On Order", but the details were wrong. My MINI was originally allocated to the dealer as a Hyper Blue MCS with a black interior and that is how the OL showed it. I orderd a Pepper White MCS with Cordoba tan interior.

Day 3 (10/3/05): OL updated
Today the Pepper White / Cordoba combination was updated in the OL

Day 5 (10/5/05): Tentative production date
I called 866-ASK-MINI and talked to a person. The automated system said that I was "On order" but the represantative told me that I was tentatively scheduled for week #44, which would be around Day 31 (week 4)! I think I got bumped up because the JCW factory installed MCS got bumped back and I got moved forward in the production order to fill the void. Bad for them... great for me! I've decided to name the car "Jango" after a comment on MetroplexMini.org about my PW/PW w/ painted arches concept being very "stormtooper".

Day 17 (10/17/05): Jango Born!
I won't find out until tomorrow, but Jango was born today at 4:53am (probably Eastern time in the US)

Day 18 (10/18/05): Jango was born yesterday!
The OL still says "on order", but I broke down and called ASK-MINI for a second time. These guys are amazingly helpful and friendly... It must be a cool job to tell people about their MINIs all day long! Anyway, they reported that Jango began life in the bodyshop yesterday at 4:53am and that he will be complete, tested and ready to ship on November 3.

Day 21 (10/21/05): OL Updated
Well, it's still behind, but the OL updated this afternoon to 'Scheduled for Production', eventhough the car entered production 5 days ago... Oh well... at least I know what's going on from ASK-MINI. The OL did, however, give me my VIN today as well.

Day 25 (10/25/05): SCREW UP!!!
I decided to call ASK-MINI today to check status and confirm my order. When they ran through the specification, I discovered that they ordered a black roof and I ordered Pepper White. ASK-MINI told me that it was too late to change my current order and to call the Dealer. The dealer found and admitted the mistake, but the only remedy was to move me back to week 45 (what the dealer told me), where they had another alloted production slot that someone had just canceled. They gave me a new order number and I immediately called ASK-MINI to confirm the complete specification. ASK-MINI told me that it was actually in week 46! The only thing worse than a screw-up is a lying screw-up.

Day 46 (11/15/05): Scheduled for production
The OL was finally updated with my full spec and, lo and behold, they got it right this time.

Day 50 (11/19/05): The new Jango is born!

Day 52 (11/21/05): Jango at the dock!
My new car is now at the dock, but the WW website (2wglobal.com) doesn't know anything about it.

Day 57 (11/26/05): On board the Liberty?
This is wierd. The shipping line website now confirms that they have the car and that it has been loaded on the boat... but the boat won't be at the dock for another week? It's still somewhere in Europe!
I went to the dealer because my first car was delivered there yesterday. It was beautiful, but I'm still not a fan of the black roof. The interior is the best I've seen on a MINI (my ego talking, but I do love it)... Cordoba beige leather, anthracite dash, anthracite headliner and chrome package. Very classic.
I don't know it yet, but Jango was put on a ship today.

Day 58 (11/27/05): Gone again
Now the W&W shipping line website has no record of the car again... very strange.

Day 60 (11/29/05): MA Calls
My MA called me and said that Jango is on a ship and will be in Charleston on Dec 6th. He doesn't know the ship name or which shipping line it's on.

Day 68 (12/7/05): Jango on US Soil!
I did some digging and, by the process of elimination, have found that Jango was on the Franconia, a K-Line Ship. It left Southampton on Nov. 26. It can hold 3,740 cars and is 579 feet long. I found a picture on line, but it looks like a floating shoebox with a smokestack out the top. The boat arrived this morning at 5:55am and they started to unload it at Charleston, SC, at 7am. The ship was apparently delayed by one day by bad weather, but it's here! It should be about 2 weeks to go...

I posted my 1997 Nissan Altima for sale on CraigsList.com. I've got credible interest from 4 people (and 4 scam artists + 3 people who want me to finance the sale for them) in the first 24 hours... not bad for a free service.

Day 70 (12/9/05): Buyer for old car found - MINI to be in Dallas soon
I found a buyer for my old 1997 Nissan Altima through Craigslist.org. My MA called me late in the day to fill me in on the details for the buyer (Moritz is going to take my car as a trade-in and then sell it to the buyer).

Day 71 (12/10/05): MINI getting close
My MINI will be in Dallas on Tuesday 12/13/05 and should be ready by the following Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Day 74 (12/13/05): Jango is at the Dealer
Moritz received my car today and the MA says that I could pick it up as early as tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. I had to coordinate with my old car's buyer, so we are going in early on Friday morning to sell the Altima and take delivery of the MINI!
I cleaned out my old car and I felt a bit like a traitor. The Altima is the first new car that I ever purchased and I feel a little bit sad seeing it go. I'm sure the sight of a new MINI will fix that, though!

Day 77 (12/16/05): Delivery!
I picked up the buyer of my old car early this morning and drove him to the dealership. They passed me over to finance while they took him to the used car sales office. The dealer bought the car from me and sold it immediately to the buyer... this way I get the credit for a trade-in and don't have to pay sales tax on that amount.

I had them deliver the MINI with very little prep work... no wash, no wax, no nothing! It was pretty smudgy inside from the assembly and delivery process (and the install of the security system and driving lamps at the dealer).
I drove out and picked up my wife and 2 friends for lunch. It's kinda tight in the backset when someone who is 6'4" is in front of you...
The car is gorgeous (aren't they all) and I'm having a blast.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:01 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Sorry you had to deal with the first mistake.
I have already ordered and am waiting. Its easier for me to wait since I am still overseas.
I loved that interior. I dont think Hyper Blue can pull it off. But looks very good with PW or BRG!
Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that Car looks, so, . . . familiar . . . all it needs now is a club badge in the grill.

don't tell but PW is the fastest color . . .