1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie from Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:16 AM
billie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie from Los Angeles

Hi all,

I'm hoping to buy a new 2006 Mini Cooper S automatic within the next month. As I don't want to wait longer than a month (my current 95 Explorer is falling apart), ordering probably isn't an option. I know 3 people that have purchased their new Minis from Nick Alexander Imports in Downtown LA and have been happy with the experience (nice selection of cars, flatbed pickup for service with BMW loaner etc). After visiting Universal Mini (where my non-choosy friend purchased her Mini) and only seeing about 15 cars on the lot, I definitely want a larger selection (I'm not too picky, but want something I love - I have 3 preferred color combos, sunroof is also essential).

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by billie
Hi all,

I'm hoping to buy a new 2006 Mini Cooper S automatic within the next month. As I don't want to wait longer than a month (my current 95 Explorer is falling apart), ordering probably isn't an option.
Call South Bay MINI and Long Beach MINI. They both may have cars in inventory and they both sell at MSRP without mark-up.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
billie
1st Gear
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if they would pick up my car from Burbank for servicing? Ideally I don't want to drive all the way down there for service.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:45 PM
wimpwgn
1st Gear
You can go to any Mini dealer for service, but I urge you to choose a reputable dealer.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
billie,

I doubt they would pick it up for service, but as wimpwgn said, you can take your MINI to any MINI dealership for service.

BTW, welcome to both of you to NAM!

Dave

Old 01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
billie
1st Gear
I didn't know I could go to any dealer for service. Thanks so much for the tip.

Just curious, since the people I know have been happy with the experience at Nick Alexander (and they do offer this handy pick up & loaner service), is there much of a difference (price-wise, on-lot selection wise) between them and South Bay/Long Beach Mini?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:15 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Last I heard Nick Alexander was still charging above MSRP.

Long Beach and South Bay sell at MSRP with no mark up.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to see you here on NAM. I hope you find what you want...keep us posted...

Donna

Old 01-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Aviators
3rd Gear
I bought the '06 in my sig a couple weeks ago from Long Beach Mini. Have been back a couple times (nothing wrong just picking up accessories) and have been very pleased with the service every time.

Pretty good selection of S's on the lot (have no idea how many were/are Auto) and they sell everything at MSRP.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
jimmy330
1st Gear
I didn't know I could go to any dealer for service. Thanks so much for the tip.

Just curious, since the people I know have been happy with the experience at Nick Alexander (and they do offer this handy pick up & loaner service), is there much of a difference (price-wise, on-lot selection wise) between them and South Bay/Long Beach Mini?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.
Billie, I think Nick Alexander has a $4k markup! I could be wrong but It's a lot! Universal hides theirs in BS ad ons like paint protection and LoJack @ $800. In all it's about $2.5k over MSRP.

On another note, I bought a used one with a bunch of stuff I would've never ordered, but now that I have them, I really like them. They include the convenience package w/polarized rear view mirror (no night time adjustment), it's really handy and works like magic. The Xenon lights, worth the $500, the Hamon Kardon radio great sound! I regret NOT having the cold package with heated seats, which is the BEST deal of all for $300. Aftermarket kits will run over $1k! Get it, you won't be sorry. The Run Flat tires (although a cool technology) make the car run stiff and bumpy with only fair handling, get non Run Flats (summer tires) for smoother, better handling. This is all IMHO. Good luck I wish I could've afforded the S!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
billie
1st Gear
Thanks for the additional info re: markups etc. I'll definitely check out South Bay Mini & Long Beach Mini. Any specific sales people you'd recommend?

Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I dealt with Freddie and Jennifer at South Bay and they were nice. We ordered but as I recall if there is anything dealer added extra on the car you don't want they can be very negotiated or removed (although when we were there nearly a year ago they said that they were going to stop adding stuff to inventory cars). And don't forget to ask for free floor mats

By the way, order any accessories from Classic Mini in Ohio at the NAM discount to save on standard dealer pricing.

Get your car soon before the prices go up!

Cheers, let us know how it goes

Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
billie, call Matt Limburg or Tony Lage at Long Beach MINI, 1-888-294-2211. Tell them Clover sent you. They work as a team, so whichever one is available will help you. I've bought two MINI from LB MINI, and dealt with both guys....very nice experience and I highly recommend them.

Welcome to NAM! I agree with the cold weather option...those heated seats are fantastic, even here in L.A.!

And like the others have mentioned, both Universal and Alexander have big mark-ups. LB and South Bay are selling at MSRP, so find out what's on each lot and go for it!

Let us know!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:44 PM
billie
1st Gear
Thanks for all the tips and contact names - very much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:13 PM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
I ordered mine two weeks ago and should get it in March. i ordered it out of Ill. from Patrickmini at msrp. Fully loaded. I keep calling and adding things to the list..... I keep my cars for 10+ years so I want it all.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
I have had bad luck at Nick Alexander. Promises made during purchase were not kept. I paid $1500 over invoice for my 2005 MCS. They have a great service and parts dept. however.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Aviators
3rd Gear
I also dealt with both Matt and Tony at LB Mini.

Both fantastic- would send anyone their way and feel great about doing so.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Suzannne
4th Gear
Heres another 'yay' vote for Matt L. @ Long Beach MINI, took care of me in less than one hour and no problems since! Good luck!

Old 01-13-2006, 06:19 PM
mcqz
Neutral
Matt helped us at LB Mini and had a good experience. We had talked to someone else the day before by phone and when we asked if he would be in on Saturday so that we could give him our business, he said he would not be there, but not to worry as they don't work on commission. by looking at the LB Mini web site, we had our choices narrowed down to 4 cars, all of which were available when we got there the next day, though one did sell seconds after we made our choice. I don't recall seeing any auto S models, but check out their web site.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:39 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM. I hope you will enjoy your MINI in LA.

Recently, I spent time in South Cal, plus 2 weeks with the flu afterward. I drove my MINI, stayed in Little Tokyo, and visited friends in Santa Monica, Palos Verdes, Pasadena, and Coronado. Just as anywhere else South Cal has spots where MINIs are prevalent and not. They seem rare in downtown where I spent most of my time walking--a splendid and underrated pedestrian area. They seem to be more common in North Bay than South Bay. I did not see many in San Diego and Coronado either. I fell in love with LA all over again and will post some pics when I find my camera.

Best wishes.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:12 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
come check out www.motoringunderground.com when ya get a chance

Old 01-13-2006, 09:16 PM
MR ECON
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Welcome to NAM! I agree with the cold weather option...those heated seats are fantastic, even here in L.A.!
And if you ever visit the Lake Tahoe area in the winter, you're gonna just love the heated seats.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:11 PM
reyrey44
Neutral
Thanks for the additional info re: markups etc. I'll definitely check out South Bay Mini & Long Beach Mini. Any specific sales people you'd recommend?
yea dude...talk to walied..but the staff overall are pretty awesome (two thumbs up) so u can't go wrong if u go to southbay mini...

Old 01-17-2006, 10:33 AM
billie
1st Gear
I spoke to Matt Limberg at Long Beach Mini. He was really nice and helpful. He only had one MCSa in stock but was going to let me know if anything came in meeting my requirements. Freddie at South Bay Mini was hard to get in touch with. When we finally spoke a couple days later, he didn't have a car in stock or one coming in that would work for me. (in the next shipment they only had 1 in any of my preferred color combo but it was underloaded)

In the end, I bought the car from Nick Alexander. They had 2 of my perfect cars to choose from (I chose the Pepper White/Black Roof over the Chili Red/White Roof) and only charged a few hundred over invoice.

Thank you all for your help. It definitely helped me make an informed decision and also helped me get the price way down at Nick Alexander (they knew I would've walked if they couldn't bring the price down to just about MSRP).

I'm sure I'll be asking lots more questions once I get the car next week.

I'm super excited about my new car!