1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lead time and markup

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:14 AM
motoring101
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lead time and markup

[SIZE=2]Hi,
I'm new to the club (actually not quite in the club yet - not until I decide to order). I have a number of questions I hope someone could answer. Please bear with me as I'm new to all this.

I was talking to an advisor at a MINI dealer in northern California and he said I can get a MC 1 month after I order it (with a markup of $1K). My questions are:
- Is that a realistic time frame or is the dealer just quote me that to get the business? I've read people on this forum with > 6 month lead time.
- Seems like markup is a standard practice considering how popular MINI is. Is that how much you paid for your MINI?
- Do MINI dealers typically charge Advertising fees (like other car dealers) or is MSRP (plus any markup) all you need to pay?

Many thanks in advance
[/SIZE]

Old 01-17-2006, 12:05 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are plenty of dealers around who charge MSRP (even in California), I'm sure some of your fellow Californians will chime in. There are also many out of state dealers who will happily take your order and have your car in around 5-8 weeks average. Dealer markup is not the norm.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:08 PM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
East Bay

East Bay no Mark Up just ordered one today, wait time 6 months

Old 01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Larkin W.
2nd Gear
Markup...

Order one out of state and you won't have a markup and may even get it quicker. I just ordered mine a week ago from Kansas City, Baron MINI, and was quoted Late Feb-Early March delivery. I think each dealership only gets a portion of each production group and thats why some dealerships have a 6 month wait, because they are that booked and some of their orders are put on hold for a while.

-Larkin

Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM
jimmyjoejimbob
1st Gear
I was browsing Miniofthehamptons.com and found they had EXACTLY what it was that I wanted to order sitting on the lot. I called, they still had it, bought it and it just showed up at my door Monday. They sold it to me for MSRP plus $500 for door to door shipping. Very easy process.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:43 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motoring101
[SIZE=2]Hi,
I'm new to the club (actually not quite in the club yet - not until I decide to order). I have a number of questions I hope someone could answer. Please bear with me as I'm new to all this.

I was talking to an advisor at a MINI dealer in northern California and he said I can get a MC 1 month after I order it (with a markup of $1K). My questions are:
- Is that a realistic time frame or is the dealer just quote me that to get the business? I've read people on this forum with > 6 month lead time.
- Seems like markup is a standard practice considering how popular MINI is. Is that how much you paid for your MINI?
- Do MINI dealers typically charge Advertising fees (like other car dealers) or is MSRP (plus any markup) all you need to pay?

Many thanks in advance
[/SIZE]
First off, the overseas shipping of the car from England to the West Coast alone takes quite awhile, so unless he already has your car to spec in production I don't understand how they car order it for you and get it here in that time.

It is certainly possible to get a car at MSRP (with no funny fees either) without a 6 month waiting period: you can check with the MSRP Cali dealers - East Bay MINI in Pleasanton, South Bay MINI in Torrance, Long Beach MINI are the ones that come to mind; call the others to find out what they have in stock/coming in and tell them you would buy it only at MSRP and see if they would agree; or see about picking up a car out of state. If you search here on NAM in California Dealers, etc, you will find out a lot about what others have done and suggest.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Do you have some vacation time coming up?

Why not order from a MidWest dealer such as D&R Mini in Indy and do the break in on the drive back to Cali?

Richard, my MA at D&R said MIB would take 8 weeks and it took 8 weeks. I paid sticker price and had no Dealer Markup?

If you do buy from D&R tell them DrDiff sent you!

Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Larkin W.,

To whom did you talk to at Baron? (Kind of related: I bought my '02 Golf from Baron VW -- and while waiting for the dealership to finish the paperwork on my VW Golf purchase I walked across lot and viewed the new MINIs -- and bought my '02 Porsche just across I-35 at the Porsche dealer, so I'm very familiar with that area.)

How did you specify the options: That is, what method did you use to convey how you wanted the car optioned?

Did you get some hardcopy confirmation back so you were sure the car was at least ordered as you wanted it?

What downpayment arrangement did you make? Personal check? Wired the money? E-transfer? What about payment when the car comes in and after you verify car is as ordered and in good condition?

I travel to the KC Mo area every so often and could very well order my MCS from Baron and then when it comes in drive a one way rental car there and pick up the car, then do my business in the area and when finished drive the new MCS back to CA.

Oh, which reminds me? How can one who lives in CA and of course must be able to register the car in CA when ordering a car out of CA ensure the car comes with whatever is necessary to allow a no problem registration in CA?

Lots of questions I know. Would appreciate whatever you care to share.

Sincerely,

RockC.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Larkin W.
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RockC
Larkin W.,

To whom did you talk to at Baron?
Lisa Foell - MINI Motoring Advisor

Baron MINI
9010 Shawnee Mission Parkway
Merriam, KS 66202
[FONT=Chiller][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]

Direct line:
913-671-1406

Main:
913-722-5100

Email:
lfoell@baronauto.com

How did you specify the options: That is, what method did you use to convey how you wanted the car optioned?
You can do one of two things. Either spec out your MINI online and have it sent to them from MINIusa.com or call and tell them what you want.

Did you get some hardcopy confirmation back so you were sure the car was at least ordered as you wanted it?
Yes, they sent me paperwork to look over and if anything was incorrect, I had enough time to make changes. Everything turned out perfect for me though. I had a confirmation number within 3 hrs of placing my order with Lisa. She's awesome

What downpayment arrangement did you make? Personal check? Wired the money? E-transfer? What about payment when the car comes in and after you verify car is as ordered and in good condition?
I paid $500 refundable deposit to make an order. You can finance through MINI financial, use your own bank for a loan, or pay cash. They may know more than I do. I paid my $500 deposit by credit card over the phone. With Baron, what you see on MINIusa.com is what you get as far as price goes. The only extra you pay is $297 for administrative fees, which I believe is fairly standard. They always seem to quote approx. 8 weeks to get your MINI. Ours is going to come in 6 to 8 at the rate we are going.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:53 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to be in touch with the dealer soon.

If I get the warm/fuzzies talking to the dealership, I'll get an '06 MCS on order ASAP!

Approx. 8 weeks out ought to put it in the spring t-storm/severe strom season... On the way back from picking car up I can go tornado chasing in my new MINI!

Sincerely,

RockC.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:36 PM
grandemamou
1st Gear
I paid no markup

Just walked in to the dealership. They looked up what I wanted. I was more concerned with options than color. Found 4 vehicles on the way here and i chose the one closest to what I wanted. Very pleasant experiance. Waited about 2 weeks.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
dwfrank
2nd Gear
Motoring101:

Where in N. California are you?

In addition to markup, it's always good to ask about out-the-door fees, like "doc fees" etc. Some MSRP dealers still charge these types of fees and some markup dealers do as well.

The short answer is that the Bay Area dealers all markup and/or have annoying fees -- I've heard that East Bay MINI's fees get close to the markup of the other 3.

After reading all the posts, asking some of these same questions, and talking to dealers nationwide, I settled on Long Beach MINI. They had an allocation slot for this week available in mid-late November. Given a 3 week crossing (avg.) and a few days of VPC and dealer time, I figure it will be about 3.5 months total wait for MSRP + zero stupidity fees.

Oh, and I got my VIN today. So hopefully I down to 5 more weeks...

--dwf

Old 01-18-2006, 07:58 PM
TooTall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RockC
Approx. 8 weeks out ought to put it in the spring t-storm/severe strom season... On the way back from picking car up I can go tornado chasing in my new MINI!
Drive the other way fast Rock! Think of the hail damage.