1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time AUTOXER

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:57 AM
draggonmann
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time AUTOXER

I am going to try my first autox event in March. I was looking for some inputs on tires that will be good for autox and every day driving to replace my 205/45 R17 allsesand tires. I would like any other helpful hits you can give.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by draggonmann
I am going to try my first autox event in March. I was looking for some inputs on tires that will be good for autox and every day driving to replace my 205/45 R17 allsesand tires. I would like any other helpful hits you can give.
If you are looking for a street/autoX tire, I'd check out the Falken RT-615 or the Hankook RS-2 z212.

I noticed, in your signature, that you have the Alta intake. This will put you in Street Mod, I think. That's a fast class with cars that are running R-compound tires that are installed at the track. Don't let it discourage you. Just go have some fun.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:15 PM
mcswrks
6th Gear
do most trailer there cars to the track, or just change tires there? (assuming they took extra wheels/tires with em.)

Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Most people drive to the events, putting their tires and wheels (if they run different tires) inside their MINI. A few have trailers that hold their autoX gear/tires. Some do trailer their MINI, especially to Pro/National Tour autocrosses. The nicest thing about trailering to the big races (2 day events) is that you have a second vehicle that allows you to keep your race tires on the car instead changing them. If you're racing on your street tires it's not a big deal. Just show up and race.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I was once told to learn to autox on normal tires and then after you learn your car etc... Go to the R compounds.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:27 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best thing you can do to your car to improve your AX performance? Fix the driver. Check out the Evolution Autocross school at http://www.autocross.com/evolution/ They run a fabulous program all around the country and who I believe are based in your region of the world. Not affliated in any way. Just a satisfied customer with several class championships and a bunch of FTDs to prove it!

Old 01-18-2006, 02:56 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by draggonmann
Draggonmann,

First question is how worn are your current 205/45-17 all season tires? If they are not too worn out then you can just use them as is. The heavy rims and tires are a disadvantage but you can still learn.

If the runflats or your current tires are worn out and need to be replaced anyway then you have several options.

One is to do as you mentioned. Fit tires on your rims (stock rims are 25 pounds each or nearly so) and use 215/45-17, 205/45-17 or 215/40-17 tires for street use AND autocross use. This will allow you to drive on your autocross tires. Although this does wear out the autocross tires a bit they will usually work fine for street use and you don't have to change tires on race day.

Another option is to keep your stock rims for street use and replace the tires with whatever you want for street use- usually non runflats in 205/45-17 or 215/45-17 is fine. Talk to Alex@tirerack.com for options on tires. Then you can keep a separate set of rims and tires only for autocross and track use. This is usually after you gain more experience but can be tried using lighter rims like Kosei K1 TS or Kosei K1 Racer rims from tirerack. They come in a variety of rim sizes from 15x7 to 17x7.

If you want to compete in autocross with the most advantage then you'll need a stock air intake setup and wheels that include stock sized rims like 17x7 or 16x6.5" with the correct wheel offset about +45 to 48mm. Then you can run in G-stock class.

With an upgraded air intake you will move out of stock class and into D-Street Performance if you have an MCS. You are allowed any cat back exhaust and any front sway bar.

A common competitive setup for the MCS in G-stock class is to keep everything stock, use a new drop in air filter (Foam or green filter is fine), upgrade to any cat back exhaust, do realignment of suspension to autocross settings (front toe 1/16" out, rear toe zero degrees). Fit stock 16x6.5" rims with Kumho V710 tires (for use only on the track for autocross, not for any street use).

Old 01-18-2006, 02:57 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wiggles
If you are looking for a street/autoX tire, I'd check out the Falken RT-615 or the Hankook RS-2 z212.

I noticed, in your signature, that you have the Alta intake. This will put you in Street Mod, I think. .
I second the tire recommendations.

You are allowed to use "intakes" in STX (which is considerably slower than SM), but there are restistrictions, of course. Does the Alta intake do anything funky If it's just a typical bolt on CAI, it's probably STX legal...

Old 01-18-2006, 03:11 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
I would recommend going to a few autocrosses, then, when your hooked and you know what to expect, go to the Evolution School to harness your skills.

I'd recommend the Azenis or Hankook's as well. I just received my 215/45/16 RS-Z212's yesterday and am waiting for my Rota Slipstreams from 18racing.com for delivery Friday.

Anyway, just go out and enjoy, but, I do warn you that it is more addictive than my crack habit!!!

Old 01-18-2006, 04:38 PM
trick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
I would recommend going to a few autocrosses, then, when your hooked and you know what to expect, go to the Evolution School to harness your skills.

I'd recommend the Azenis or Hankook's as well. I just received my 215/45/16 RS-Z212's yesterday and am waiting for my Rota Slipstreams from 18racing.com for delivery Friday.

Anyway, just go out and enjoy, but, I do warn you that it is more addictive than my crack habit!!!
Sorry to hijack. C: Do you expect rubbing with these kooks? I'm thinking of getting a set for my Rota's as a wet tire to go along with those Hoosiers (which will be replaced with V710s).

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by trick
Sorry to hijack. C: Do you expect rubbing with these kooks? I'm thinking of getting a set for my Rota's as a wet tire to go along with those Hoosiers (which will be replaced with V710s).

Thanks.
No, they definitely will not rub. I had 225/45/16's on my SSR Comp 16x7.5's but didn't like how tall they were. No real rubbing issues with those either. I have some 17x7.5 SSR Comps on the way that I am going to attempt to squeeze some 235/40/17's Z212's onto the Mini in a couple weeks.

Stay tuned....

Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 AM
draggonmann
5th Gear
I just wanted to thank evryone for the input. I should have stated in my post that I way autoxing just for fun. The alta airintake has to stay!! I love sound I get going though the rev range.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
My name is Curt and I'm addicted to autocross.

Have fun DraggonMann!!!

BTW-The Alta CAI is not legal in STX (search the STX forum) because it modifies/removes a panel that is not part of the stock intake. I don't think it would be protested at a regional event unless you kick everybodies butt.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wiggles

BTW-The Alta CAI is not legal in STX (search the STX forum) because it modifies/removes a panel that is not part of the stock intake. I don't think it would be protested at a regional event unless you kick everybodies butt.
I wonder if we could get a ruling on the JCW panel from the SCCA. Its obviously part of the intake for the JCW. I bet it would be as easy as getting a clarification from the SEB or STAC or whoever it is that makes the decision.