1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini in Chitown

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:42 AM
freddymm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini in Chitown

After driving a Miata for the past 10 years, my wife, Shelly, purchased an orange 2006 S convertible on 10/31/05, from a Chicago area dealer. We are very pleased with the Mini. Great handling (even in the snow), good power, fun!! We're going to our Windy City Miata Club winter banquet tomorrow (we like the people so we'll continue our membership if they'll let us) and we can't wait for the Miata folk to see our Mini.

One thing that happened today was a bit disturbing and I wonder whether anyone else has encountered this:
After handwashing the car for the first time a week ago (we finally got warm enough weather), we noticed scratches on the chrome rear hatch handle - we had purchased the "Chrome Line Exterior" kit as part of our car purchase. When we were at the Mini dealership, we commented to the service manager that it seemed premature to be experiencing scratches only a few months after purchasing the car. We were surprised when he said that fingernail scratches were not unusual since this was a piece of PLASTIC - emphasis on the word PLASTIC. The Mini website advertises this kit as "Polished chrome mirror caps, fog light surrounds, front grille, rear hatch handle, and boot hinges." Nowhere does it say "plastic". The dictionary defines "chrome" as "chromium" which, in turn, is defined as a hard metal. Three issues: (a) Should we pay $250 for a few pieces of plastic?, (b) Is plastic appropriate for surfaces that will be touched and be bombarded with bugs and road debris?, and (c) Did Mini misrepresent its product? In any case, Mini Customer Support has already told me that I have no recourse. Interesting!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by freddymm
After driving a Miata for the past 10 years, my wife, Shelly, purchased an orange 2006 S convertible on 10/31/05, from a Chicago area dealer. We are very pleased with the Mini. Great handling (even in the snow), good power, fun!! We're going to our Windy City Miata Club winter banquet tomorrow (we like the people so we'll continue our membership if they'll let us) and we can't wait for the Miata folk to see our Mini.

One thing that happened today was a bit disturbing and I wonder whether anyone else has encountered this:
After handwashing the car for the first time a week ago (we finally got warm enough weather), we noticed scratches on the chrome rear hatch handle - we had purchased the "Chrome Line Exterior" kit as part of our car purchase. When we were at the Mini dealership, we commented to the service manager that it seemed premature to be experiencing scratches only a few months after purchasing the car. We were surprised when he said that fingernail scratches were not unusual since this was a piece of PLASTIC - emphasis on the word PLASTIC. The Mini website advertises this kit as "Polished chrome mirror caps, fog light surrounds, front grille, rear hatch handle, and boot hinges." Nowhere does it say "plastic". The dictionary defines "chrome" as "chromium" which, in turn, is defined as a hard metal. Three issues: (a) Should we pay $250 for a few pieces of plastic?, (b) Is plastic appropriate for surfaces that will be touched and be bombarded with bugs and road debris?, and (c) Did Mini misrepresent its product? In any case, Mini Customer Support has already told me that I have no recourse. Interesting!
It is indeed chromed plastic. I don't think any new car actually uses chromed metal anymore due to pedestrian safety issues.