1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Wk 6 - Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
muggy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
week 6 represent

up to 4500 miles today, all u fellow wk6'ers are beating me to the mods tho.

I officially feel shamed today. I was driving thru my old high school parking lot, slaloming through the speed bumps, and ran through a parking space to correctly position my MINI to go up the little ramp that leaves the lot, just like I had done hundreds of times before, when BAMM!

I stopped immediately. Turns out my high school had put in a single parking cement block in the farthest space closest to the exit, in a lot that has NO parking blocks anywhere, and they had put this one block on the outside half of the white parking space lines. I had run over this block at roughly 30-35 mph.

No dents in any of the rims, I guess that's why they're OEM wheels, if I had already bought aftermarket I'd be paying for two new rims right now. Part of the plastic on the bottom of the car broke clean off, a nice 4 in chunk or so. The strut tower mushroomed a little bit, not noticeable to anyone who wasn't looking, but I'm gonna have to deal with that.

I'm scared about the shocks and axle, I run M7 springs so I'm not sure how the shocks are gonna be. My friend ran over a median in his brand new Evo, and both his axles were shot and the car was totaled by insurance.

So word to the wise, especially to the lowered, look down and ahead. Guess I got a reason to get me a skidplate, anyone know a good deal?

Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 PM
bolus
4th Gear
Doh! That does not sound good. I can imagine the alignment is going to be shot at least. Are you going to be able to get that checked soon? Hopefully it does not turn out as bad as it sounds.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:50 AM
muggy
4th Gear
Yeah, I figure the alignment can't be too great. Driving goes pretty straight tho.

I did go over it straight, and the car didn't react like I had hit something, it was more the noise than anything else. So I'm hoping for the best, but I'm gonna get checked out for sure.

I also think I get "craziest week 6 driver award", I just noticed my last post was for my ticket hehe.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:12 AM
bolus
4th Gear
Week 6 needs a bump!
  • Went to the Portland Historic Races on 7/8. 40 or so mini's showed up from the PDX Mini group. There were a ton of sweet modified Mini's to see (plus 600 or so other cars)

http://picasaweb.google.com/photosha...dHistoricRaces
  • American LeMans Races this weekend. Should have another good showing from the PDX Mini group.
  • I saw a Solid gold mini tonight. Man, that looked cool.
  • Next Wednesday I'll be racing around the Portland International Raceway at the Prodrive high performance drving course. I am so excited!!
  • Only new mod is a hood scoop grill from www.grilleguy.com Took about 2 minutes to install and looks sweet. And no more pulling bugs out of the intercooler with tweezers!
  • My Pyrotech helmet shows up friday. My office jokingly suggested that they should sponsor my Mini for upcoming autocross racing
  • 3000 miles today
  • um... yeah... I'm putting down a deposit for an Ariel Atom...

Old 07-20-2006, 05:30 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
Enjoy the track day. It is an experience all MINI driver should do.

Maybe I should ask my company to sponser my MINI in track events.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:49 PM
gekko
3rd Gear
bolus, is that a dodge neon masquerading as a MINI?

Old 07-22-2006, 06:56 AM
bolus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ezra360
bolus, is that a dodge neon masquerading as a MINI?
Yeah, I dont know who brought it, but it went on the parade lap around the raceway with us. It was pretty hilarious because they did a really good job with the bonnet stripes too.

http://picasaweb.google.com/photosha...14013910859794

Old 07-22-2006, 09:49 PM
gekko
3rd Gear
If you can't beat 'em...

Old 07-26-2006, 04:54 PM
bolus
4th Gear
Please do not hit a wall. How could you drive your MINI with a wall stuck to it?

Thanks for the link. The menu looked so good I just signed up for Aug 1 & 2nd. Vrrroooommm!

Look forward to hearing about your experience. Good luck!
Here's my writeup on the prodrive course. What a fun day out on the track. Easily worth the cost though the day went by too quick. except for a little break dust and the tire tread I left on the raceway, the car is still in one piece! I am definitely going to be doing this again.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=74707

Old 07-27-2006, 06:06 AM
cube17576
Originally Posted by bolus
except for a little break dust and the tire tread I left on the raceway, the car is still in one piece! I am definitely going to be doing this again.
A little brake dust??? You must be doing something wrong. My wheels were completly black after my day at the track.

Glad you had fun. Everybody should take their MINI (or Mini) to the track. It is a great experience where you learn what you and your MINI are capable of. It makes you a better driver.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:09 AM
bolus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cube17576
A little brake dust??? You must be doing something wrong. My wheels were completly black after my day at the track.

Glad you had fun. Everybody should take their MINI (or Mini) to the track. It is a great experience where you learn what you and your MINI are capable of. It makes you a better driver.
Hehe, there was a guy there with a white BMW who was detailing his tires with some gel tire dressing right before we started. After the first session, his tires looked completely dull again and there was black tire dressing spatter all over the side of his car. He looked like he just got done with a rally cross.

We had a good laugh with him about that one.

The best part was learning the capabilities of the Mini. The first session it just felt like I was going to fly off the track. We were flying around a corner with the tires squealing and the instructor is going "more gas, give it more gas!" and I felt like saying "what?!?! dont you see that wall over there?!?!?" It just felt wrong...

Then after a few sessions I realized that I had a lot better cornering than I thought and could push it further. Most people use perhaps 1/10th of the capability of their car.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:22 AM
gekko
3rd Gear
Then after a few sessions I realized that I had a lot better cornering than I thought and could push it further. Most people use perhaps 1/10th of the capability of their car.
I have the same suspicions- I'm getting more comfortable with my MINI, but I know I'm not even close to it's (and my) potential. Can't wait for next week!

Nice wheels bolus- They look oddly familiar...

Are those stock runflats as well? It sounds like you had no complaints from the stock setup? Thanks for the report!

Seems like the track is a good way to accelerate the new tire schedule. Don't know yet if I'm going to trade in the RF's for goodyears or ? when the time comes around.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:29 AM
bolus
4th Gear
I have the same suspicions- I'm getting more comfortable with my MINI, but I know I'm not even close to it's (and my) potential. Can't wait for next week!

Nice wheels bolus- They look oddly familiar...

Are those stock runflats as well? It sounds like you had no complaints from the stock setup? Thanks for the report!

Seems like the track is a good way to accelerate the new tire schedule. Don't know yet if I'm going to trade in the RF's for goodyears or ? when the time comes around.
Yep, stock run flats. They did really well with the torture they received. I definitely need to rotate them now. But, I think they would have only lasted 4-5 track days

It was also fun hearing the tires chirp when accelerating into second *and* third gear at full throttle.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:42 AM
gekko
3rd Gear
It was also fun hearing the tires chirp when accelerating into second *and* third gear at full throttle.
Heh, heh- burn rubber, baby!

Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Mileage Check Week 6ers

Bump to the top!

How is everyone doing?
We just clocked over 9300 miles!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 PM
bolus
4th Gear
It's been pretty quiet for me. Just passed 4200 miles and the Mini is still running great. I toned down my detailing routine so that I'm only doing about 2 hours per weekend

Not Mini related but a few weeks ago I drive down to Ashland, Oregon to visit Brammo. These guys make the american version of the Ariel Atom.
www.arielatom.com
What an amazing little street legal track car. I put down a deposit for one that will be ready next spring. Pretty much the exact same wait as I did for the mini.
http://picasaweb.google.com/photosha...e2f27AA6u_xc8Y

Old 08-18-2006, 05:27 AM
cube17576
I am at about 4500 miles.

My interior updates are almost complete. I have ordered Leather Downtubes with Hyper Blue stiching from newministuff.com. I have a Hyper Blue E-brake handle coming from Morristown MINI. I have a Chrome package coming from Classic, and a Minifini cup holder to finish it off. I can't wait to get it all installed.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 AM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Just a bit over 11,000 for Super Casper.
He will just shortly be up to Dinan Stage 5 with intake, exhaust, boost package, throttle body and accompanying software.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Emma is at about 7,000 and is pretty much done with mods for a while although I really wish the run flats would wear out faster. New wheels and tires would be easier to justify with my wife if I needed new tires anyway.

Jibeho and queenB, I envy the free time you all must have to rack up all those miles. My commute is 350 miles a week and I'm not even close to the mileage queenB has logged.

Phil

Old 08-18-2006, 07:23 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
I'm adding KONI FSDs in the fall!

I can get them CHEEP-CHEEP through work

We took a 2500 mile road trip last month that helped.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:42 AM
TSR53
5th Gear
Checking in... 4,945 miles as of today

Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 AM
gekko
3rd Gear
Not Mini related but a few weeks ago I drive down to Ashland, Oregon to visit Brammo. These guys make the american version of the Ariel Atom.
This thing is amazing. Not only 0-60mph in a blink of an eye but 60 - 0 just as fast. I need to get over there, they're right down the street.

btw bolus, had a blast at PIR- wore down my run flats a little faster, and I have a much better sense of the limits of my MINI. thx for the prodrive link.

Coming up on 6000 miles- they go by fast when there's always a reason to motor!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:09 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Week 6 Update

It's been seven weeks since we bumped Week 6 to the top so how about an update on whats new.

For myself, I'm should hit 10,000 miles next week and will be making an appointment for my first maintenance service. I'm still having problems with my boot latch switch as well as some new rattles in from the drivers window/rear window/Convertible Top interface so I'll have them check those out as well.

I know I previously indicated that I was done with mods for a while. Well, I just couldn't help myself. I went and got a Fireballed Racing ECU Reflash and a Whalen Shift Machine custom shift ****.

The Fireballed ECU flash has made a marked improvement in performance. Throttle response is much better and there is less of a tendency to stutter during launches. I can't compare to other ECU flashes as this is the only one I've tried, but it seems to deliver what as promised.

Here is the custom shift ****:

Doug Whalen does a terrific job on these and I highly recommend this upgrade. Doug can engrave just about anything you can come up with.

Still working on wearing down those run flats so I can justify a new set of wheels and tires, just don't tel the wife.

Cheers,
Phil

Old 10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
cube17576
I am just past 7000 miles. My interior is complete.

http://www.cube17576.com/mini/int1.jpg
http://www.cube17576.com/mini/int2.jpg
http://www.cube17576.com/mini/int3.jpg
http://www.cube17576.com/mini/int4.jpg

Now everything is blue and black. The leather downtubes are amazing. They should be standard with the leather interior.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:27 PM
bolus
4th Gear
Good to hear from you guys. Cube, the interior looks amazing. Phil, that shift **** looks great. I could totally go for one of those.

The Mini is still doing great. Did a 10 hour marathon detail 2 weeks ago to prep for winter. I'm just over 5000 miles. Besides a rock chip in the windshield the car is still doing great.

I got him a little brother though:

300hp supercharged Ariel Atom. All the body panels are clear coated carbon fiber. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. Fast. loud. angry. This is now my track car and the Mini is now my detailing car.

Quick Reply: Production Wk 6 - Support Group