1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What temperature do you drive with the top down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:49 AM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What temperature do you drive with the top down?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find a similar thread. My CR MCSC (black bonnet stripes, cold weather pkg) is off the Patriot and on US soil, and I should pick it up within a week. Of course, now that it's almost here, Indianapolis's spring-like weather is gone, and winter is back, so I probably won't be able to drive it home with the top down. But I'd like to hear from other convertible owners about what's the lowest temperature you can stand with the top down? Windows up or down?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2006, 10:37 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in the dreary snow belt so I have very few days in the winter that the top can be fully down. I find that on a sunny day I can do 40 - 45 degrees without much trouble. Any colder and the sunroof setting suffices or the top is up. That's why I love the MINI convertible, 3 tops in one.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Here's an extreme example of the convertible in cold weather: http://davidrose.us/DavidWebPage/Cabriol/HB2/HB2.html

Decreasing turbulence as much as possible greatly increases the comfortable temperature range. This means windows up and using the wind deflector. With those two, hot air from the heater is contained enough that it makes a big difference. I also hope you had ordered heated seats.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 AM
yomamali
2nd Gear
I think I drove with the top down at 41 degrees F last winter.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
Here's an extreme example of the convertible in cold weather: http://davidrose.us/DavidWebPage/Cabriol/HB2/HB2.html
Man, that is some story !!! I have traveled in that part of the world but never in winter - and I never flipped a convertible into a snowbank while inside before (probably better the top was down...) That sounds like one of those great MINI adventures that owners always seem to have....

Bill

Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
Well I live in Phoenix so year round would work. I am waiting on my MCS to come across the pond and one of the reaosns I got the heated seats was to cruise around with the top down in cold weather and a warm butt. I love the feeling of the top down with a good chill and the heater in the cabin.

As for an exact temp my threshold would be low because I love the cold!

Old 02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw

Decreasing turbulence as much as possible greatly increases the comfortable temperature range. This means windows up and using the wind deflector. With those two, hot air from the heater is contained enough that it makes a big difference. I also hope you had ordered heated seats.
I know David from the earliest days of MINIdom back in 2002. WOW! Incredible story, and what stout little cars our MINIs are...even the Cabriolet!

Old 02-07-2006, 05:17 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
I think your tolerance will be much greater if you get a wind deflector. It seems to allow for the temps to be much lower and less cold air getting into the car. Me, The top is fine in the closed position until about 50 degrees.

It's funny, I'll leave the top closed on my car until it's warm, but I'll ride my motorcycle down to freezing? (That's really the first time I thought of that)

Old 02-07-2006, 06:48 AM
GyroJunkie
2nd Gear
what's the lowest temperature you can stand with the top down?
Short answer: 24 degrees F is the best I've done so far. Short trips, no highway speeds.

There are obviously multiple levels of requirements when going to lower temps: at some point the windows go up, heater goes on, short sleeves go to long sleeves, light jacket, heavy jacket, gloves, ear warmers...

Just try it out and see what works for you.

I live in North Texas and there are only a small handfull of days each year that I don't drop the top for at least a while. Those days are usually due to HEAVY rain, not cold temps. Light rain is fun top down.

Have fun!