1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered an MCS JCW in LA...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
blammo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered an MCS JCW in LA...

I've been lurking for the past month or so, but thought I'd finally register and start posting.

Over Christmas, I was visiting my parents in Seattle and test drove an MCS and MCS JCW for the first time (I've been thinking about a Mini for a while, but figured it was still in the future to buy a new car). Needless to say, I was very surprised at how sporty the cars drove -- I originally thought that they would drive good (many magazine reviews award Mini on the "fun-to-drive" quotient), but was also thinking I really wanted more of a "pure" sports car (e.g. 350Z). Once I got back to LA, I test drove an MCS again, checked the finances, and decided to drop a deposit on one. (I did test drive a 350Z, and it was nice, but not any better than the Mini with worse visibility and a higher price tag).

As I wanted to focus on the performance aspect (and also because the JCW costs >$6K), I ordered my MCS (CR/B) with the Sport and JCW (factory) packages and only a couple of other options (autodimming rearview mirror, sunroof, alarm, regular black panther leather). I also ordered the matte black r105 JCW 18" wheels, which should show off the red JCW brake calipers nicely with the CR body color. I'm also planning to get the aero kit grill (only) installed after it arrives, and am still debating on the JCW carbon fiber bonnet scoop and mirror caps... (want 'em, but not sure if it's worth the $).

FYI, I ordered from South Bay Mini in Torrance (I actually ordered it around Jan. 3rd). Production is scheduled for April, with delivery in the May/June timeframe. It sucks having to wait a while, but both South Bay and LB Mini (the only other dealer in LA selling for MSRP) have the same wait times (other LA dealers quoted 6-8 week delivery times, but all charged at least $1K markup over MSRP). Plus, it gives me a while longer to save up for a nice big downpayment...

Now I just have to wait for 4 months or so...

Old 02-09-2006, 05:59 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers on the order, sounds good. The only thing I would suggest (aside from adding the anthracite headliner and rear fog light ) is that you do the accessories and add-ons after buying the car unless you are getting some kind of good deal with the purchase. You can save yourself a lot of money buying things like the alarm, aero kit and even probably the wheels by purchasing the parts from Classic in Ohio with the NAM discount. The alarm is a DIY by the way, you only need the dealer to program the car/key, and the most they shoul charge you for that is 1/2 hour labor. The aero kit is also a DIY and many people here have put it on themselves. In the least it is worth calling Classic and getting their prices and seeing if South Bay will match them.

Anywho, at least you have plenty of time to look into everything and change your mind 5 times before your order is set

Old 02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
I am in Los Angeles also. I ordered mine from PatrickMini in Ill. ready in 6 weeks and no markup. Will pick it up March 8th and drive it home to LA.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:39 AM
blammo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Cheers on the order, sounds good. The only thing I would suggest (aside from adding the anthracite headliner and rear fog light ) is that you do the accessories and add-ons after buying the car unless you are getting some kind of good deal with the purchase. You can save yourself a lot of money buying things like the alarm, aero kit and even probably the wheels by purchasing the parts from Classic in Ohio with the NAM discount. The alarm is a DIY by the way, you only need the dealer to program the car/key, and the most they shoul charge you for that is 1/2 hour labor. The aero kit is also a DIY and many people here have put it on themselves. In the least it is worth calling Classic and getting their prices and seeing if South Bay will match them.
I actually saw a CR/B MCS JCW with the Anthracite headliner, and it looked nice. However, it does make the interior a bit darker (in combination with the black leather seats), and since the sunroof takes up so much space, I think the silver headliner is fine (I'd rather put the $200 into a carbon fiber bonnet scoop or something)... Same for the rear fog light. Don't think I'll use it, and I can live without the toggle switch in the middle of the console...

I didn't actually start reading this forum until after I placed my order, so I didn't know about Classic offering discounts/etc. until relatively recently. As the r105 wheel/tire set is $2400 MSRP (plus South Bay is quoting me an additional $400 for the steering angle stop and installation), a decent discount from Classic could more than make up for the delivery charge to LA (I don't have the time to drive it back here...). So, I just emailed Classic to see what they can do for me on this order...

Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
blammo
3rd Gear
Well, I got a nice email from Julie at Classic Mini with a quote on my MCS JCW. The good news is that they do give a nice discount on accessories (standard accessories are 20% off, JCW ones are 10% off). Unfortunately, the estimated delivery charge was around $1650... which kind of eliminates any savings gained from the discount. Granted, I could fly there and drive it back, but hotel, gas, and lodging would cost some $, and I do not have much vacation right now anyways.

I emailed Mini of the Hamptons also, as they seem to advertise a $500 shipping fee to the West coast. I am not sure if they have any discounts on accessories like Classic, so it may turn out that I would be paying $500 just to move my delivery up 1-2 months (for the money, I can wait...).

Old 02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by blammo
Well, I got a nice email from Julie at Classic Mini with a quote on my MCS JCW. The good news is that they do give a nice discount on accessories (standard accessories are 20% off, JCW ones are 10% off). Unfortunately, the estimated delivery charge was around $1650... which kind of eliminates any savings gained from the discount. Granted, I could fly there and drive it back, but hotel, gas, and lodging would cost some $, and I do not have much vacation right now anyways.

I emailed Mini of the Hamptons also, as they seem to advertise a $500 shipping fee to the West coast. I am not sure if they have any discounts on accessories like Classic, so it may turn out that I would be paying $500 just to move my delivery up 1-2 months (for the money, I can wait...).
I did the same calculations....this cost, and that cost..... but the value of driving Betty home with my 17 year old daughter or 14 year old son from Ill. is Priceless....... :impatient

Old 02-18-2006, 09:31 PM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
did you order it? I fly out march 7th to pick mine up

Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 AM
blammo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by patgoeglein
did you order it? I fly out march 7th to pick mine up
I'm still working with MOTH to see if we can work something out... will let you know if it does. Otherwise, I'll be waiting anxiously till May/June for South Bay MINI...

Old 02-19-2006, 10:53 AM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by blammo
I'm still working with MOTH to see if we can work something out... will let you know if it does. Otherwise, I'll be waiting anxiously till May/June for South Bay MINI...
I am telling you that John Guilani at Patrickmini in Ill. has been the best and they will transport it for less than 800. Oh yea, 6 to 8 weeks and they will work with you on the price to balance out the cost of trucking. This is a NO Brainer. Great service, cheaper, and faster.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:13 PM
blammo
3rd Gear
Well, looks like I'll be getting my MINI 4-6 weeks earlier, from MOTH. I got them to give me free shipping, plus >$500 off MSRP. Part of it was probably 'cause my car is >$30k, and the other because I was ready to stay with my order at South Bay MINI (i.e. they convinced me to change my order to them). Guess the timing is right (i.e. mid-winter) to bargain with East coast dealers...

Old 02-20-2006, 06:18 PM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
congratulations maybe we will be on the same production date. and great job on the shipping.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:25 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
WOOHOO! Congrats Blammo!

Old 02-20-2006, 06:54 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
What better way to break it in than that drive through Colorado on the way back to California

Old 02-20-2006, 07:11 PM
capnmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by patgoeglein
I am in Los Angeles also. I ordered mine from PatrickMini in Ill. ready in 6 weeks and no markup. Will pick it up March 8th and drive it home to LA.
The people at Patrick MINI are awesome I just picked up my MCS this past saturday and they have the best service Buy from John!!